1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

newbie! please help!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by newbie2012, Nov 27, 2011.

1. newbie2012

newbie2012 Registered

Just got a nitro RC car t Maxx I think cranks over but wont start!? How do u test glow plugs? Will the spring glow red or just get hot? Any ideas?
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Greetings and welcome to the forum!  I'm not a car guy, but based on quite a bit of experience with gas planes, I'll try to answer your question. 

If you have an ohm meter, you can check to see that you have continuity.  It should pretty much look like a short on your meter.  The resistance is very low.  If you hook it to the battery, it will generally glow (why it's called a "glow plug").  If it gets warm, but not warm enough, your battery is probably not up to snuff.  These things take quite a lot of current so a fully charged battery is really important.  If the car has been out of use for a long time, it's also possible that it's just got some oil or other crud on the element.  I've cleaned them by putting a little alcohol in the hole and blowing it out with compressed air.  Don't get too crazy with the air, because you can break the element.  Lastly... You might take the simple solution and just install a new one.  It's not a bad thing to have around as a spare anyway.  If you don't need it now, you''re going to need it later. :)

Good luck!    ...Tiger
  3. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Hey Newbie, welcome to the forum! I'm an electric guy so no help with you're no starting issue other than to say of all the people I know with glow engines, every one of them carries spare glow plugs and batteries when they go out to race/fly. There are lots of nitro guys here, maybe try posting a thread for help in the general discussions area. You'll probably get more input there :) Where are you located?
  4. newbie2012

newbie2012 Registered

I'm in grants pass!
  5. Golden Child

Cool! We try to get out racing an Saturday afternoons at the middle school on Harbeck. And flying at Redwood School on Sunday mornings. Check out the threads and maybe plan on coming out. Maybe you can get some first-person help with your nitro engine!
  6. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

Newbie=JROCK's the man w/ gas/nitro Traxxas.Any input he has for you will be golden.The hobbie shop in Medford, "R/C Addiction", has a box of clearance glow plugs that are cheap.(541-665-2700)=call them for a price=You probably need a "hot"plug-ask them, they will know...I am guessing you need one either way.Also, WD-40,will clean your glow plug,and it might help to shoot a little into the carb. and inside the barrel ,through the glow plug hole.Next turn the motor over w/o the glow plug in it-to blow it out.Make sure your exhaust pipe exit hole isn't obstructed-(that will make it flood)-some times also the pipe will fill up w/ gas too,so while trying to "blow  it out",tip the car so the pipe can drain.If your glow plug is glowing-put it back in the engine.Next, gently screw the fuel screw in-do not tighten down hard, just lightly snug, counting how many turns out it is. (Make not of the setting)-then ck your manual for factory suggested setting range. Too rich and/or too lean will kill a glow plug.You should be ready to rock after that.=WELCOME ABOARD & BEST WISHES!!-let us know if it works.
  7. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

NEWBIE, I may be in GP Saturday at Harbeck w/ GPS and whoever else is into it=I can try to help you fire your T-MAXX up.I'll be bringing  nitro R/C's and have a fool proof glow igniter, and some extra glow plugs (maybe we can narrow it down).By Friday,we should know, and will post -(weather and wife permitting)...The T-MAXX is how alot of people got hooked on "Bashing"  8) (Myself included).
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

When you guys say "Harbeck", where exactly do you mean?

...Tiger
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Here:
    http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?topic=278.0
  10. Golden Child

Hey Tiger, its South Middle School on Harbeck Rd. behind the LDS church. We try to get out there Saturdays when weather and other family obligations allow :) Usually around noon. The link GPS posted above has all the details. Come on out if you're available.
  11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Thanks!  I keep hearing it mentioned, but didn't know where you were going or when.  I don't read the car posts on here at all.  I'm not really a car guy, but I still have three of them.  Year before last a small group of the flying guys were running cars at the church parking lot where Redwood Hwy meets Redwood Ave.  We met there almost every night for months.  We had a great time, but when the weather changed the group drifted away from it and I have not taken the cars out again except for a couple nights at Lincoln Savage.  I'll check things out at Harbeck.

...Tiger
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

What cars have you got Tiger?
  13. Tiger

Tiger Registered

GPS - These is them!  ;D

Attached Files:

14. GPS

GPS Registered

Looks like you've got a Traxxas Slash 2WD and a Team Associated SC10 2WD and a Losi Comp Crawler.  Am I right?
  15. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Well... You're close!  The crawler is a 1/10 Comp Crawler with a Novak "Goat" brushless system.  The Slash is actually a VLX brushless 4WD.  Lastly, the SC10 is 2WD upgraded with the Castle brushless system.  All three got new Spektrum radios to use with my DX3R transmitter.  Shame none of these are being used.  :(

...Tiger

Attached Files:

16. GPS

GPS Registered

If you ever want to get rid of your comp crawler let me know.
  17. Golden Child

Newbie, we hope you can make it out to South Middle School on Harbeck Rd. this Saturday. Looks like there'll be quite a group of us out there!!! Several nitro guys. Noon is the time.
    Tiger, hope you'll join us as well with your vehicles!!!