1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New to the fourm, just checking in.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jonas, Feb 7, 2014.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't have any FPV experience myself yet other than watching some of the guys with theirs. Pelagic Pilot, Tiger, LEM504 and N485TG are the guys who I know from this website who have done a lot of FPV and/or have radio video experience. So far I think I would go 5.8 Ghz for what I want to do and clover leaf antennas seem to be the best bang for the buck so in my opinion you are heading in the right direction unless you intend to go really long range.

BTW: If your thinking about some goggles you might want to look at this:
    http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?threads/fatshark-dominatorhd-with-integrated-dvr.4721/
    Fatshark is coming out with a really nice looking set soon that has a DVR built-in. Could be a winner.
    Jonas likes this.
  2. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Yeah the 5.8ghz is kinda a must on the phantom since its controls are on 2.4. I'll check out those HD dominators, thanks.
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

5.8 G will need circular polarization for sure. The antennas should help.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Besides the built-in DVR they do SVGA (800x600) which should be really good for FPV.
  5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Jonas - I heard you were at the field again today. Sorry I keep missing you. I don't get there until almost 12:00 (after church). Maybe next week! Hope things are going well with the Phantom.

...Tiger
  6. Jonas

Jonas Registered

K I'll try to keep that in mind. As a heathen, I show up almost randomly, usually factored by when my toddler is gonna take a nap if we're not already on the road. :)

My monitor solution sucks, pretty much impossible to see anything but the OSD graphics even with some shade box around it. So I'm gonna play with using the screen and build a goggle or helmet like solution for the interim.

I've got some 2x power cheep glasses at wallyworld, and that lets me bring the 7 in screen about 7in from my eyes in focus. It looks promising, and probably will take the form of a stand mounted display that I just stick my face into until I find a suitable way to mount it to my head :)

I figure I just counter balance the screen by putting the battery and receiver on the back. I'll probably eventually bit the bullet and do some Fatsharks, but I'd rather wait and do a Oculus Rift solution.

But on the positive side, since I got the 10 buck circular antenna, it looks like the picture is much more stable...if I could see it ;)
  7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Jonas - We could get together some time and you could try my Fatsharks. For a monitor to work outside very well, you need what's considered a "sunlight viewable" monitor and shade it very well. You can find them on ebay. The cheap and simple dvd type monitors just don't cut it. Even a good monitor has its limitations outside.

I'm finally starting to actually work on my ground station. Created the first CAD drawing last night to layout the various components on a plate on the back of my patch antenna (900 MHz). I think I may start a build thread in the FPV section tonight or tomorrow.

...Tiger