1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

new to helos!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by joebollinger35, Mar 13, 2012.

1. joebollinger35

joebollinger35 Registered

i am new to the world of helicopters, i just bought a 120 sr flew it for the first time yesterday. i am in need of a dx5e transmitter. i think that may help me a little. so this bein my first single blade helo, are they supposed to move around alot in hover? i dont know can someone help?
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

If you think you may get into helicopters you might consider the DX6 instead of the DX5 transmitter.  That extra channel can come in handy and the programming is better.

Most small helicopters drift a little in hover, especially if there is any wind at all.  If you are flying indoors or with very little wind you should be able to get a decent hover.

Where are you located?  We have a lot of local flying folks that meet every Sunday at the school on Redwood.  Then every first and third Wednesday there is a meet at the middle school in Murphy.  There are plenty of helicopter people at these that will certainly look at your helicopter for you.  Check the calendar link at the top of the page to see the events.  Most have a Google map link to the locations.
  3. Tiger

Tiger Registered

JOE - The 120SR was an outstanding choice for your first single blade heli.  It's really excellent and exactly what I suggest guys get when they are starting out.  It sounds like you have had coaxial (two blade) heli's in the past.  If you are expecting the 120 (or any real heli) to fly like a coaxial, it's not going to happen.  The 120 is exceptionally stable, but it won't just hang in the air forever without control like a coaxial.  I'd have to see what yours is doing to know if it's acting normally.  Are you here in Grants Pass?  Maybe we could get together and check it out or you could bring it to Redwood School on Sunday mornings like GPS suggested.  You're going to love that thing once you get it figured out!

...Tiger
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Welcome, glad to see more heli people here! As others have said, the 120 is great, I flew Tiger's last month and it was fun, very good choice to start on. I would recommend the DX6i as well for a controller, you won't stop at this heli, it's an addiction, you will have more heli's, trust me. The DX6i will allow you to grow into anything, a 450 would be the next step after you get real good on the 120. As for hovering, the 120 is forgiving, but still needs constant input, no such thing as hands off hovering once you get away from coaxial toys, single rotor helis are the real deal.
  5. joebollinger35

thank you guys so much for the input! i actually was using a hp6dsm tx from an sr i switched to a simple D channel and my 120 is flying alot better! the reason im going for the dx5 is simply money, im a single dad so monies can be tight,the 120 was my quitting smoking cigarettes present to myself. i made this jump from the cx scout to the 120. i live in applegate so im gonna try and be at get together in murphy next wed. i have a buddy who does planes who is gonna try to go with as well. man cant wait to get this thing outside!!
  6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Joe - Your last comment (cant wait to get this thing outside) brought something to mind.  If you are going to fly outside, you will want to move your linkage to the outer balls on the swash plate.  If that doesn't ring any bells, look it up in your manual.  The longer balls give you a little more travel on the swash and you'll need that outside.  You'll also like it better that way inside once you get past the hovering stage.  Looking forward to seeing you at the indoor fly. 

...Tiger

P.S.  Always check here to make sure the indoor fly didn't get cancelled.  Once in a while we get bumped by other activities at the school.
  7. joebollinger35

tiger thank you so much for the input. i will definatly change my swash plate to the longer ball links. and that last post was supposed to say4 channel. thanks for info about the indoor fly. also low rate or high rate? im startin to get the hang of the rudder, kinda. gonna get a smaller 4 channel to practice with in the house any suggestions?. my house just isnt big enough