1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

What steering servo to use

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by bozzoreed89@gmail.com, Mar 22, 2013.

1. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

bozzoreed89@gmail.com Registered

So I have scx10 dingo an I wanna upgrade my steering servo any suggestions
  2. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

i used a hitec ultra torque for mine it works good i bought it around chrsitmas and now i have it wraith and it still works.
  3. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

is that one waterproof?
  4. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

no its not. but mild to wild has a brand new one just like the one i got for. like 36 dollars or something like that i dunno tho.
  5. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

Right on thanks for advice but really looking for waterproof also, I'm running hpi sf-20. Right now. But when on the rock not enough torque to get wheels turned
  6. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

ummm i believe hitec makes a waterproof one too. but its like 45 bucks i think i dunno im happy with mine i have in my wraith its the hs645mg
  7. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Frenchy is right. That little $36 servo has no more power than your sf does. Get a hitec 7954sh and waterproof it. It's easy to waterproof any servo.
  8. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

So I was looking at hpi sf-50 got any opinions on that one?
  9. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Yes we are full of opinions  8)  To be very honest the best suggestion I have to most people when it comes to anything in the electrical point of an RC is to go namebrand.  The object of a servo like the HPI sf-50 is to be cheap and cost effective for a kit, which means alot of corners get cut.  Buy a decent servo now and save yourself the hassle later.  I couldn't tell you how many times crawling I saw guys buy the $36 MG645 hitec servos three to four times and I could think is if they would have just bought the $89 HS7954SH then they would have eventually saved money.
  10. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

what are you upgrading from? As 3 or 2? What is it doing or not doing making you want to replace it?  The stocker is a low grade rebadged futaba. Pretty sure the hpi one you listed is also a low grade futaba (going off looks I haven't personally had  the hpi) also of almost the same model. It gets a few more oz over a stocker but is actual slower if that even possible.
  11. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

I have a hpi sf-10 but was looking at as3 how. Is that one?
  12. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

if you find a super good deal for cheap like $10 its not a bad servo for a honcho. Better than a 5645 on durability but but closer to a 645 on power. And any decent high torque servo is going to require you add a bec into your system. I would start by getting the bec and running your current servo off it till you can get a nice new servo. Just adding that is gonna get you more power.  Like French and sinister said the 79** series is where it's at. The 54 and the 50 are both awesome servos. The 7950 has the titanium gearset that's darn near indestructible and are guaranteed for the life of the servo. The 7954 gives up a little torque but is a little faster and $50 less. The 7954 is great for anything all the way up to a wraith. For that the 7950 is the only servo I've ever seen take all the punishment a wraith can dish out. Ive watched others and myself destroy every "high torque" servo out there except that one. I run 7954 in most of my trucks now.
  13. Deerhurst

Deerhurst Registered

The high end servos are nice but you will probably need a BEC or at very least a glitch buster.

Personally, I've run some cheaper futabas, the traxxas 2075 and I currently have the 645mg in my rig. All those "budget" servos feel about the same with the 2075 being slightly faster by feel. My 645 is waterproofed by help of some silicone and a small o ring. Easy and quick way to waterproof any servo. I did that at two servos in my e revo and those have survived the winter snow, slush, and puddles and my bad driving.

Don't ignore the el cheapos like some of the hobby partz servos. I've seen great results from some of their 300+ oz/in servos and a custom waterproof job in slashes and summits.