1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

We're Getting Closer to Having A Dedicated Track!!!

Discussion in 'Racing and Bashing' started by Golden Child, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Need to know how many people are serious about practices/racing. We have a nice venue in mind at the JoCo Fairgrounds. How often do you want to have practices and races? What days/nights are best? Do you want to have an organized club (would require ROAR membership), or would you rather stay loosely organized? Lots of questions still to answer, and definitely in need of everyone's input! Speak your mind here and let's get this going ;)
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Count me in for two persons.
  3. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Like I stated many times before I can and will [size=14pt]PAY[/size] for at least three spots and can probably drag a few more in as we see the progress.  I will also again state that ROAR and any other form of club dues/licensing/fees/insurance will only muddy the outcome and push people away.  All that is needed to stay on the legal side is having everyone who enters or races sign a liability waiver and have that waiver [size=14pt]CLEARLY[/size] posted on the entrance, it's really that simple.
  4. Golden Child

Thanks sinistercad! I'm with you on keeping it simple. No ROAR means easier access for more people. I have done the liability waiver before when we used to do Haz-Fest out in Sunny Valley with our 1:1 scale wheelers so I agree with that also. If the majority of people interested also like it that way, then it really helps matters tremendously.

Come on people - who else is in?
  5. BigJoe

BigJoe Registered

I am mostly only available on weekends.

Either way, count me in as help. I'm a journeyman equipment operator and good with a shovel. 
  6. Golden Child

Nothing set yet, but we're thinking between $5-$10 for practices and $10-$15 for races. It really depends on how much the fairgrounds manager is willing to work with us.

For sure, we're going to need a fundraiser to get materials (driver's platform, track rails/bumpers, tables, etc.) We are also going to need BODIES to get the track built and keep it maintained.

My thoughts on a schedule are practices once a week and races once a month. We can adjust this as word gets out and things (hopefully) get busy :) I too am mostly available weekends, but may be able to swing an evening a week for practices. How does one evening a week for practices and a Saturday or Sunday for the races work for everyone?
  7. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

In my experience with other tracks raceing once a month is not enough. New people will lose intrest if the races are spread apart to far.  The track in kfalls raced every other weeken and had a great turnout every time. I think it would work out well if we raced Saturday nights because then you could drawn in the poeple that go to church and so on. Also that way if it's in the evening it dosen't consume the hole day so stating races around 5 done by 9 or 10 pm.
  8. Golden Child

Excellent Adam, thanks! Twice a week races sounds great :) Still once a week practices or would more be better?
  9. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

=  OH YEA ;D
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

I think twice a month races and twice a week, at least, for practice would be my suggestion.
  11. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Thanks sinistercad! I'm with you on keeping it simple. No ROAR means easier access for more people. I have done the liability waiver before when we used to do Haz-Fest out in Sunny Valley with our 1:1 scale wheelers so I agree with that also. If the majority of people interested also like it that way, then it really helps matters tremendously.

Come on people - who else is in?
    [/quote]

Hazfest huh?  I remember the original one when it was held at Haz-matt's property.  What do you wheel sir?

And to take not on the whole scheme of things, you need to start looking into an AMB counting system for races.  I have seen used systems go for around 1000-1500 with a couple transpos.  I would also think open track saturday-sunday on even weekends and racing saturday-quals and sunday-racing on even weekends would work.  Remember guys someone has to be there to make this happen.  Many important steps are being forgotten.
  12. Golden Child

Yes, that's it! We run full-size rigs. All black with white skull&crossbones on the front fenders. Mine - Suburban, the rest of our group - Ford van (wheelchair!), Ford F-150, Jeep CJ-5, Ford Bronco, Chevy 1/2T
  13. Golden Child

So for now, no ROAR membership/club. The fairgrounds looks like its a go. I think we've settled on $10/head to run practices or races - pending final approval of the fairgrounds manager on what we discussed with the fairgrounds staff today. We are looking for a few nitro guys to come out and demo their cars so the fairgrounds people know what to expect for noise level (we need to do this before final approval). An evening next week would be best. Please contact me or GPS if you can make the time :)
    No way we can justify $1000-$1500 for a lap counting system at this point. We're looking to start small and grow into the needs of the community as they arise. NOTHING is being ruled-out completely, just going to take it slow for now. And yes Smitty, we are keeping you and other ADA dependent people in mind :) This is going to be a FAMILY oriented endeavor. Please, at all times, keep in mind that we do not want to alienate anyone :)
    Thanks to all for your interest and input! KEEP IT COMING!!!!
  14. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

I will gladly bring down one of my race rigs and run it for them.  Just name the time and place and I will prepare them and come on down.
  15. Golden Child

Sinistercad - thank you! We very much appreciate your help and input! We will get back to you when we hear from the fairgrounds manager ;D
  16. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

I could do a Saturday every now and then,if it isn't too late in the day.I would be interested in "practice time"...thanks Golden Child, GPS, and Bartljuice, for giving your time so others can have a place to run. :D
  17. smitty

smitty Registered

I've been silent on this because i'm not likely to participate on any regular basis. However, i'm really glad to see this taking shape.

With the daily vig of $175, it will be a challenge to have weekly sessions without the backing of some sponsors. So we'll need to explore that. The trick will be to balance the costs between sponsors and member/participants so that no one feels like they are providing the entire nut.

Having a competition event during the fair would benefit the fair while promoting the hobby.
    Not to mention the LHS's. 
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

Like minds.  We discussed exactly these matters last night.  We will be approaching some local businesses, online hobby stores and some manufacturers to see about sponsorship's.
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

Please read this topic:

http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?topic=569.0
  20. yreka rc

yreka rc Registered

Have a handfull of local racers in yreka that are lookin for a track to race. Any info you have would be great! Thanks