1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Southern Oregon RC !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by admin, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Blueice12

Blueice12 Guest

Did you contact them and ask why they used the same name?
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

I didn't.  Did anybody else?  I didn't even register.  It is fugly.
  3. Blueice12

Blueice12 Guest

I did both since i thought it was the same one just switching to a better server, guess i was wrong i usually hang out at RCMT.net but nobody there lives in Southern Oregon.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I found this one on craigslist.  I don't plan to join the other one.
  5. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered

I found both this one and that green forum on craigslist, but I decided to sign up for this one. It looks like this one was registered in 2009 so that other one was made later but has a few more members. This one has awesome Google rankings and comes right up when you search for southern oregon rc.

That other forum has a couple guys from the Grants Pass RC forum www.grantspassrc.com which I was also on for a while. They were banned for picking on a 13 year old kid so they are bitter.  You can still read those threads over on Grants Pass RC. Those people should stay in that other forum and all will be good here.

Anyway, I hope this forum takes off. It would be great to have a local community again.
  6. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

Wow, thanks for the kind words :). You leave out a lot of the story and mislabel me as bitter. I was not banned for picking on a 13 year old kid (I was banned though :(). We did flick him a lot of crap but he and his father both asked for it. I was one of the useful contributing members over there and all he did was post useless and non relevant things. In the beginning none us had any idea of his age. Just reading a few of the posts over there doesn't tell the whole story and you would need to read all the posts over there to get the idea. There were only a few of us over there trying to have a nice local forum and neither him or his father had much to contribute. I am far from a bitter person and quite the opposite if you would get to know me. I am very active in our local r/c community. I organize and run our local rock crawling competition series and welcome all ages and types of people. We have kids of all ages and both boys and girl who regularly attend. I host all types of events and get togethers around the valley for all different types of flying, boating, and driving of different vehicles. I hope you take the time to get to know me and come to some events and you will see i am very friendly and willing to help out almost anyone all in the name of good r/c fun. Interesting thing is after they banned me and a couple of my friends the site died off and the useful info and build threads went away. Now mostly its just the mod talking to himself.
  7. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered

I went over to Grants Pass RC and started to look for the reason you were banned and honestly I got tired of looking. There are over 4000 posts in 266 topics according to the stats. Not bad for the short duration of forum activity. I found another "highlandcrawler" member and if that was you I didn't find what you did to piss them off, but again I got tired of looking. I found a lot of posts by "howmie" which was the young man who irritated a lot of folks with his posts. I don't get why all the hate against him instead of the grown-ups trying to talk to him about what was bothering them. Then there was a pissing match with the moderator and "cable97526" when cable97526 made some sarcastic remarks. Looks like cable97526 took his friends and left.
    Interestingly they still seem to get a lot of traffic according to a recent post.
  8. smitty

smitty Registered

OK so I'm new to this forum.
    Am I in the right place?
    What's with the split personality? (two different URL's)

It appears that http://soregonrc.forumup.com was started early July 2011
    and this forum http://southernoregonrc.com was started later in July 2011

If soregonrc was your first attempt and you have since reposted on southernoregonrc
    then why not shut down or at least redirect to the current forum.

BTW the toxic green and black is just too hard on my old eyes. This one is much more user friendly.
  9. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered

Welcome Smitty. There is no split personality, there are two different forums. This one was was started first back in October 2009 but with a different system. See the public record here:

http://who.is/whois/southernoregonrc.com/

The other forum (green and black) was started this year by what appears to be people who cannot use Google or they might have seen the name was already registered and in use.
    Some of the folks on the green and black...hey maybe they are Ducks fans...were on the original local area website www.grantspassrc.com but got pissed off at the moderator and took their toys and left. Some others yet don't play well with the owners of a hobby shop in Central Point who coincidentally also manage the only local club with a track within 100 miles. There has been an ongoing pissing in the pool over there for a number of years after the current management was tossed out a few years ago by the folks at another hobby shop in Medford (now defunct) who had more racing cred that appealed to the locals. After some political wrangling by the Central Point hobby shop they managed to take over the race track once again and proceeded to tear it down and create an unusable race track for two years and sour many of the active local racers many of which just quit the hobby or avoid that track and club like the plague.

Meanwhile the Medford hobby shop built their own race track and did quite well for a couple years and hosted many races. Their track was in the backyard of the hobby shop and served to promote the hobby well because shoppers could take their new toys out back and run them on a very decent track. It is unclear why the Medford hobby shop with the track went out of business.

The Results of all the bullshit:
    One dead hobby shop
    One almost dead hobby shop
    Many pissed off expensive toy buyers
    No public race track within 100 mile radius (unless you have one in Roseburg we don't know about)

I think that sums it up eh boys?
  10. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Well it looks as if I may also be on the end of the stick being called "bitter"  I was cable and yes I did get into it with the admin over a few things, alot of the conversation is not there anymore and has been deleted (this was a few years ago)  I tried to help who I could, highland could vouch for me if he wants to, I "was" very active in the 1/8th scale PRO series races and am trying to get back at it a bit this year, I've been in the R/C industry for almost 16 years on the ground side of the fence.  I did make rude comments, I can only say in my defense to read thoroughly through them if there still there and see what I was trying to say, there was also a fair amount of talk outside of the forums that didn't sit to well with me.  None of it should matter and also there really isn't a good reason as to why I did what I did.  I would love to help out and BS like anyone else here, if that is good enough then I hope this site does well.    As a side note I did not "take my friends and left"  They made there own collective decision to leave.
  11. Rookie

Rookie Registered

Hello all glad to see that the hobby is still strong enough to bring a forum back up. @Admin nice to see you went with the OpenSource SMF for your platform there are lots of great options and add in's out there for this board. I hope that everyone can get together and talk RC here. I know along with alot of the others in the valley that there has been an ongoing feud in the industry over this shop and that shop. The whole point is this, We are all here to play with our toys and those shops are what supply us with our parts to keep us going. And I personally want to thank all of them who take the time to put up shops to support us for with out them we would have to rely only on the net. I have done everything from the weekend basher to the full on Racer, I have dealt with both Chad @RPM and Gene and Betty @RC Addiction. but hard feelings aside the common goal that we all look to is building the hobby in our area. Some place that all of us can get together with the other local guys and play toy cars.

Nice to meet everyone and I would hope that all of us in So Ore can work together to get everyone on the same field and do what we all love.

Admin if you need any help on the back side please feel free to let me know. I have done many SMF formum set ups for clients and most every one knows me as KIC Web Designz owner and designer.
  12. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Hi Rookie, and welcome aboard!
    Thank you for the offer.  I will keep you in mind.  I like your website too, Wordpress is great.
  13. Rookie

Rookie Registered

That wordpress site is only there for client prospects. and very easy to maintain and update. Most of my work is all flash based and since web design is one of my other hobbies and side things I don't get to spend as much time pressuring it as I would like. So wordpress makes it easy with a self made skin flopped over it to give it some eye appeal.
  14. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

To admin/GPS

www.whois.com

I hope this site doesn't have the same fate.  :-X
  15. Rookie

Rookie Registered

16. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

http://who.is/whois/whois.com/
  17. Rookie

Rookie Registered

Ok enough with the beating around the bush.. This is exactly what I was talking about. Most of us know our way around a pc these days.... I think the whole point here is both domains are registered to the same Host and IP

SouthernOregonRc.com

Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
    Referral URL: http://www.wildwestdomains.com
    Status: clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited
    IP: 97.74.86.213
    IP Location: United States
    Website Status: active
    Server Type: Apache/2.2.8 (Fedora)

GrantsPassRc.com

Status: clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited

So lets all just come strait and make this a place to have fun and talk RC and put the BS behind us.
  18. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Welcome, Smitty, SinisterCad, & Rookie. Great to have some new faces onboard!
  19. Bret

Bret Registered

Ok enough with the beating around the bush.. This is exactly what I was talking about. Most of us know our way around a pc these days.... I think the whole point here is both domains are registered to the same Host and IP

SouthernOregonRc.com

GrantsPassRc.com

So lets all just come strait and make this a place to have fun and talk RC and put the BS behind us.
    [/quote]

This must be why all the dirt racers are on the other forums, ya?

I am new to RC racing this year. It still sickens me how the RC community (aside from the flyers) in this area is so full of drama. GrantspassRC had its drama, RVRC is having it's issues and driving people away. Now we have two forums that popped up at the same time and everyone is expected to choose sides?

I just want to race my SC trucks with other people that like racing SC trucks... This is why I drive 100 miles on sundays to race with the klamath falls RC crew. Its fun, relaxed, and guess what? no drama.

The number of RC racers in this area is too small to make enemies. I agree with Rookie, I don't care who did what. Lets cut the bs and get something put together.  Now how are we going to bring RC racing back to Southern Oregon?

20. smitty

smitty Registered

Bret, well said.
    I don't have a dog in the fight.
    I'm all for looking at ways to have fun with short course truck racing.

Except for my slash 4x4 and my wheelchair, I don't drive.
    So, I'm not too concerned about how few tracks there are here or why they closed.
    stuff happens!

I find it puzzling that our LHS does not host a track of some kind.