1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Tail-Fin Extension

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by w00d, May 19, 2012.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Hi All

I made the following Tail-FIN Extension because the KBDD Tail-Blade's I was using we're slightly (approx 2 - 3mm) longer than teh stock blades on my ep200, GAUI. As they we're recommended the KBDD Blades DID offer more 'Tail-Authority' but I was 'clipping' the NEW blades on my take-offs and sometimes my landings

The extension itself is made out of simple Coat Hanger wire sanded smooth to remove the Varnishing. To fasten the extension onto the FIN I bound with Solder Wire and glued the binding with CA. The photo shows the extension is mounted similar the Eyelets on our Fishing Rod's

Well there you have it, ONE simple EASY to make Tail-FIN Extension w/ NO more Tail -Blade HIT's

... And for my bonus reward I found after crashing the Carbon Fiber is stronger than my CA'd Wire binding. The extension simply brakes away when crashed thus saving me replacing a 'broked' Tail-FIN. The 'MOD' made for a handy 'Crumple Zone' saving my Tail-Fin in more cases than not ... Albeit that is more an anecdotal observation ... "your miles may vary" ...

[size=1.2em][shadow=grey,left]w00d[/shadow][/size]

PS: [​IMG] Hey my GUY for Rc Helicopters, Rc Flight Store here in Canada is NOW selling DJI-FW550 birds, w00t  [​IMG]

[​IMG]
        [size=0.8em]Yes, that is a damaged Tail-Blade Grip[/size]

What the MOD looks like on the Helicopter   

[hr]
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi w00d - I remember you had used Gorilla Gear landing skids on one, or more, of your helicopters giving it a slight forward "lean".  I guess it wasn't this one.  On that one you did modify do you touch the tail blades to the ground?

On my Beam E4 which has a forward lean I find I don't touch the tail blades compared to my old Blade 400 where I did frequently.
  3. w00d

w00d Registered

The Heli's that got the 'forward lean' Gorilla's was my TRex 450 and my mini PROTOS, see my SIG ...
    ... My PROTOS 500 also does the Gorilla Gear but both Gear are the same height, no lean ...

Re: "On that one you did modify do you touch the tail blades to the ground?" - Yes! Didn't I say in my post?
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Sorry for being unclear.  When I asked about the one you modified I was referring to the Gorilla Gear equipped models.  I should have asked if your forward leaning Gorilla Gear modified models still touch the tail blades to the ground when taking off and/or landing.  I thought it was implied with the reference to the Beam E4.  My bad.  ;)
  5. w00d

w00d Registered

Also sorry ...

No their tail-blades never hit the ground, for those I only did it because it looked GOOD, hehe.

Although with the tail being raised it keeps the blades out of the grass and/or out of the ground ... But you have to modify your flying and the take-off technique. If we go straight up into a hover the heli will level itself thus put the tail back into the grass has it starts to get light on the skids or at the moment she lifts off. The way out of this issue or for the raised tail idea to work, we do a quick forward nose down take-off

[hr]
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

I agree.  I still like the way they look forward leaning.  It is just cool.  8)
  7. w00d

w00d Registered

Hey Yoda buddy ...
    ... I found some old photo's that shows how I've done the 'nose down look' on a previous TRex 450 build's ...

For this DIY modification, ALL that was done was to add spacers. Two 'TRex450 Frame Spacers' which raised the rear
    'Landing Gear'. On my small GAUI's I've used small Bearing to get the 'look' in any case what someones else might use
    is only limited by the imagination

Click for the larger PICs

[​IMG]

... on this build I used two little  'Springs'

[​IMG]

Again needed/wanted or NOT, if only to keep out of the grass, or for the LOOK, or both that's a personal choice ...

[size=1.2em][shadow=grey,left]w00d[/shadow][/size]

[hr]
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

I remember those photos.  I wondered at the time if the springs worked as shock absorbers.
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

LOL, everybody, everywhere I have posted that PIC has also wondered that same thing ... In practice NO as the BOLT is locked into the plastic at each end! Beside there are two parts to any Suspension System, the Shock Absorber itself and the Spring, missing either one and the system fails