1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

TA05 V2 Build

Discussion in 'Drift Cars' started by Stephen, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Stephen

Stephen Registered

Introduction with background on my drift experience right here.

Now that that is out of the way, I figured this would be the best place to put my build thread since I am purpose building my car for drift. I'm starting with the TA05 V2 and have no idea what to expect compared to my old Sprint 2, especially since it's been over a year since I have owned it..

Regardless. Here is the start of it all;
    [​IMG]

Right now I have 2 batteries, a charger and this kit. Transmitter/Receiver and ESC in the mail. Sushi Drift tires in the mail. Just need to purchase a servo, wait on shipping and assemble! Oh and worry about the body..

Either way. My plans are to get it on the road, functioning properly, adjusted and then find my weak spots/things I'm not happy with. Get it completely dialed in and then look into CS mods. Probably some nifty flashy things in the mean time. Pics and vids will be posted regularly so keep an eye out! Input, comments, suggestions, hatred etc. all welcome.

Thanks for looking!
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

A Tamiya!  I don't think I've even seen one in real life.  If you ever race that baby around Grants Pass please let us know in advance.  If you don't mind I'd like to see it in person some time.
  3. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Looking forward to see how it comes along.
  4. Stephen

Stephen Registered

Lots of updates!

Finished chassis, minus tires;
    [​IMG]
    I went with HPI transmitter/receiver and ESC. And I can't remember the name but a digital/metal geared servo.

Then I got impatient waiting for tires so I threw on my buddies "craigslist special" ghetto tires and was testing out my LED kit;
    [​IMG]
    The LED kit has 4 different flashing modes, it looks awesome while driving!

And then just today I got my tires in and immediately put them on.
    [​IMG]
    Fitment is so perfect, and yes I do drive it that low.

I have on order right now;

Some 3mm offset wheels (1mm wider than stock, for even more fitment xD)

anddd
    40t front diff pulley
    16t rear center pulley
    Because I'm already bored and want counter steer :D

I don't know how soon I will make it to GP, but if anyone sets up a date to do something please let me know! Probably limited to indoors this time of year though.

Oh and also, the color of the body looks nothing like the pictures, just an FYI. It's pink/green/purple/silver just.. madness haha.

Follow me on Instagram for more pictures! @_sideways
    Comments, Criticism?
  5. Stephen

Stephen Registered

Factory ratios for this chassis;
    Front: 37/18 = 2.05555555
    Rear: 37/18 = 2.05555555
    Countersteer Ratio of: 1.00 (100% or 50/50)

After front gears show up I will have;
    Front: 40/16 = 2.5
    rear: 37/18 = 2.0555555
    C/S Ratio of: 1.216 (121%)

I got to thinking about it, and realized that parts for this chassis are on the tail end of existance so I ordered the gearing for the rear as well. (Keeping in mind I probably won't have everything until the first week of February due to overseas shipping).

Front: 40/16 = 2.5
    Rear: 32/22 = 1.454545
    C/S Ratio of: 1.71 (171%)

I can't wait! I hate drifting with 50/50 gearing, it is so boring lol.

Anyone else in the area mess with CS drifting? If not, I really hope you get a chance to drive this car after it is re-geared. It's a blast!
  6. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Nice, like to go tandem sometime. Had a good group past summer drifting at a school, but looking to set up a permanent course. Good build mine is shaft 50/50 but looking into a belt driven as well for straight rwd drifting.
  7. Stephen

Stephen Registered

Good luck with RWD. I dabbled in that with my Sprint 2. Removed the front dog bones and modified the chassis for stupid amounts of angle. I never had fun with it. My sprint 2 was somewhere around 1.58 CS when I sold it, and it was crazy. So this should be fun :)

I actually have access to a decent size (super smooth) indoor climate controlled area that I can drift on. It is the back half of a family business and I have a key and permission to use it any time the store is not open (Sundays and Mondays, or after 6pm other days). Don't know if it would be worth it, but it is a possible venue if anyone is interested in making a trip to Medford (Central Point) to check it out? I could get pictures/measurments if anyone in interested..

All of my parts are shipped. Should start seeing them come in as soon as this Saturday and as late as February 4th-ish. I'll definitely keep this page updated. I like having a place to look back on my progress.
  8. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

yeah im pretty sure we would be interested in it! I know i am!!!
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

That is a interesting chassis layout.
  10. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

Steven
    I would be into an indoor (concrete?) venue-like on a Tuesday evening??
    ..........I live in Medford-please keep me posted
    .....................................................................BTW: nice slider 8)
  11. Stephen

Stephen Registered

Stephen*

It's not concrete, it's like.. tile? Polished, no cracks, super slick.
    Tuesday might work, although there are classes held on some Tueasday nights, Sunday or Monday would work better but we will see.

What I need to do is just have whover wants to check it out set up a date/time with me and do small meets where we just check the place out and see if we want to go further with it. Sooo anyone wanna make plans to do so? You give me a date/time and I'll tell you if it will work or not. It will be me and one friend meeting you down there.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

I might be interested in checking it out.
  13. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

IM INTERESTED IN CHECKING IT OUT SAY SUNDAY AFTERNOON SAY AROUND 3ISH? IF THAT WOUNT WORK LET ME KNOW WHEN ON SUNDAY WILL WORK!!
  14. Stephen

Stephen Registered

Unless something changes I will be there Sunday at 3. Anyone who wants to come have a little drift sesh and check out the possible venue and my chassis feel free to show up. Just keep in mind that it is a family business, so no passing judgement haha. Trying to think of a way to get the location information to everyone without posting it publically. Everyone okay with txt messaging? If so let me know and I will PM you my number.
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

I can't make it this Sunday, and Sundays may not be good for me for a while.

Use the PM (personal message) system on here for messages you don't want to post publicly.  The system is at the top under "My Messages" then "Send Message".
  16. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

U COULD ALSO POST SOMETHING HERE ON THE CALENDER SO THIS WAY ALL THE FORUM USERS WILL KNOW!
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

I thought he meant he didn't want to post the address publicly.
  18. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

AHH YEAH U MIGHT BE RIGHT GPS!
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

You are also.  If Stephen eventually does make a event of it posting it in the Calendar is the absolute right place.
  20. Stephen

Stephen Registered

Just let me know when you want to check it out. I would like to get a few people's opinions on whether or not it would be worth it to do monthly meets at this location or not, and also ideas on how to set up a track that is easy to remove/setup as the space is used for other events.

Edit; didn't see responses on second page lol. For now I don't want the address public, simply because it is not my business. But if this location works out for monthly meets I will work out all the details with the owner (my family lol) and go from there, posting details on this forum.