1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

T-Rex 450 V2 Se Help

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by Flightbox, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Hello all you Heli guys.  Flightbox here with a question and needing some help. My son bought a heli for himself It's a T-rex 450 v2se RTF and comes with a Fly Sky FS-CT6B radio.  Well no instructions with the heli "surprise surprise".  It seem there a balance problem and a chip came off the main gear when we first started it up, not sure want witch or button on the controller does what.  I don't know a thing about these things, is there any of you guys or gals willing to look at this bird and help him thur some of the stuff needed to get him in the air.  Thanks Dave
    PS he has flight experience as he has flown a 4 channel mini for several months and was wanting to move up to a larger platform.

Where in  the Eagle Point Area
  2. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Check the Motor Pinion Main Gear mesh, however meshing problems tend to show around the entire gear ... Still a good idea to check

The loss of a "single" tooth is often attributed to the Motor Start-up Power being set too high which is usually adjusted in the ESC's settings 
    Which ESC ?? I will need to know to help w/ more detail ...  But I can say you need to GO shopping as ya need to replace that GEAR as it's now buggered. However ya need to FIX the start-up power before using any NEW Gear as it will simply happen again unless your extremely careful on the sticks.

For what it's worth this is a pretty common occurrence for us TRex 450 owners and as such is an EASY fix  ;)

When you say "balance" problem what exactly do you mean? Could be a CG (center of gravity) issue or could be a LiPo Balancing Issue

CG issues require a allot of hands on with enough trial'n error by moving the various parts around the different locations. Battery a little forward or back is sometime enough to FIX minor CG issues. Where as a complete re-think of the component placement is required for any major CG issues

3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

What wood said is right on with the soft start ESC setting, but it also could have been defective? (it happens). The Fly Sky radio with a Trex is an odd combination, if it's possible you might want to move into at least a DX6i, otherwise you have to program the controller with a laptop while trying to tune everything. If your new to helicoptes this will be a steep learning curve, collective pitch birds are very complicated and very very very very hard to fly, be patient and take your time, both for the helicopter and your personal safety, many people have been hurt badly (hospital) by 450 size helis.

I live in GP and can try to help however I can.
  4. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Wood thanks for the reply.  Not knowing anything about helis all I can say is that the bal issue is very heavy vibrations at start up. It was RTF heli so we dont know about the esc.  it did come with a computer download link to hook up radio and adjust the settings. i may have set some up wrong not kowing about helis. are you local and would you be willing to meet and or talk to him about things. I can pm info if so thanksFB
  5. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

P Piolt  thanks for response  its actually my sons bird.  It does come with a computer download link to hook radio up to and adjust things. is it possible for him to contact you with questions and help.  thanks FB  you can pm me your number if you like.  thanks everybody.  for right now i have some hip issues and i'm layed up and cant be there as much as i would like.
  6. w00d

w00d Registered

Can't help, not local so only virtual help sorry ... That said I'm sure there are plenty of guys that will step up for ya soon enough ...

The heavy vibration is a better way to say it for sure, now vibrations that go away after the startup are usually the blades balancing themselves and not a big deal. If the heavy vibration stays when up to speed then it's probable the blades are certainly too tight in the grips so now must be corrected.

Loosen the blades in the Blade Grips to see if the vibration goes away ... The Blades should be snug in the grips, they should stay put without moving if the blades are laid sideways but will move down when tapped with the finger

If this don't work then let us know so we can look for other causes but on new birds without any crashes under it's belt it's usually a blade grip problem ;)
  7. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Thanks Wood
    We will check into it.
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

Keep in mind the Main Gear that is missing a tooth needs to be corrected (replaced) as this can also be a source of vibration. I would expect some vibration being caused by the missing tooth ... Regardless the Main Gears needs to be sorted before we proceed further ;)
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't know anybody in your area Dave, but if your son has not resolved the issues by the next indoor fly-and-drive I would be happy to look at it there for him.  The next one is February 1st.  Check the calendar for details and a Google map of directions.

There are also plenty of other helicopter guys at the indoor fly-and-drives that I'm sure would also be more than happy to look at it.
  10. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

he is willing to go to GP if needs to. he'll pick it up quick if he gets a little hands on.  Thanks for all the reply's we'll let you know how it goes, and or what he wants to do.
  11. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

That's a good idea GPS, with the weather like it is I don't know where else you could really fly anyway. And as it turns out that was the first time I had ever flown indoors like that and it was much better than I thought. Well lit with no glare, smooth floor, it makes for a very easy place to hover without ETL screwing with your elevation.
  12. w00d

w00d Registered

Yeah troubleshooting and fixin is no FUN out in the cold'n damp ... burrrrrrrrrr ...
    Yup better "inside" where the ladies can marvel at our fixin prowess [​IMG]
  13. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I don't want to sound like a wet rag, but you know 450's have officially been banned from flying at Lincoln Savage.  A few weeks ago when Charlie (responsible party) was gone, Chris flew his.  That seems to have opened the problem up again.  I don't think I'd make any big plans for flying one there and I think there would be huge opposition to a newbie doing it.  It's simply not safe and we've already had some incidents to prove that.  None of this is up to me, but I've been there when there were problems and I have to say I think it's a good rule.

...Tiger

14. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Oh, wow, I didn't know that. The guy at the door said "No huge helicopters", not no 450's specifically, (a huge helicopter to me would be a 600-700+, and all the guys flying wanted to see the 450 fly. Looks like I'll leave it at home from now on. I don't know a solution for helping flightbox at this point but I will keep my eyes open for a place.
  15. w00d

w00d Registered

Well if I may offer a suggestion given you won't be able to FLY the bird in question nor offer some basic flight instruction. However has to the problems the heli is showing maybe one of you fine and capable fella's could take a look at it hands on !?! Setting up the ESC or if need be some basic troubleshooting would help the guy out. Sure after "fixin" there would be NO "indoor testing" but for quick hover or two would it be that much of an issue to do quick test hover outside the facilities!?! At least this way the man could be going home with a working helicopter or if not at least he would be going home with some first hand info on what is needed next ... That ALL said I'm still pretty sure his Main Gear with the missing tooth needs to be replaced but this could be done before showing up for help with the ESC and or Radio!

[shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]
  16. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Thanks for all the input gentleman, seems we found a guy in Medford thats going to take a look at it if need be after we fix main gear. parts are on the way. He's been on line bunch's so he's worked through some of the other issues. Again Thanks to all.
  17. w00d

w00d Registered