1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Short Course for beginner?

Discussion in 'Racing and Bashing' started by HeadHoncho, May 12, 2013.

1. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

I would have got one if I didn't already have the sc10.
  2. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

So far no breakage at about the 30 battery mark, but I know guys that can break an anvil with a hammer.
  3. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

Wow lot mor opions then i thought. so i i were to go with the associated with castle(the two links i had on the start of this topic) What might i want to upgrade soon after i get it to make it last? id like to buy a brand new truck but i think im gunna start looking for used rollers and then buy i brushless set up for it.
  4. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Servo and tires. Mine is still mostly stock and drives like a champ.  In my opinon. Just need more track time. And one thing I learned.  If you change something to aluminum,  somthing else has to give. Id leave it the way is untill u break somthing or get a feel for it and adjust it to your standards. Dont waste money one hop ups just yet.
  5. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Could of kept the fully upgraded sc10.2 I sold ya cheap???
  6. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

That was my dads deal now i wish we would have. Back then we didnt know squat about these things.
  7. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBJMZWN&P=0

whats your guys view on this one? i noticed no one mentioned it.
  8. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Ask Richard he mentioned selling some rc's.
  9. Nexus

Nexus Registered

That is some of the worst advise anyone can give, I'm sorry it's harsh but true.  The "fastest" or fast guy doesn't have anything to do with what he is driving.  Chad Paris is a great example at one race a few years ago, his Mugen broke so he pulled out some guys RTR Thunder Tiger Mirage and still placed second!!!!!  Get ALOT of opinions from locals at the track and see what they are running, and ask them what they do and don't like about there rigs.
    [/quote]

I completely agree with this. If anything, the quoted statement is just the opposite. Don't worry so much about what car/truck you want. Get what you can afford with the features you want. Learn to drive it. It's not the car that makes the driver fast. The driver makes the car fast.

The real truth here is that if you plan on racing any of the "race-bred" designs from Team Associated, Team Losi Racing, Team Durango or others will do just fine. At this level of club competition the "fastest" or most "feature-filled" trucks will hardly see their full potential. I might take some flak for that statement, but my personal belief here is this: No matter how fancy, how many features, how many turns your motor has, how much your battery can dump, it will do you no good if you can't drive it a lap without crashing. As soon as you can consecutively turn laps without crashing is the only time you will reap the benefits of all those racing features.

TL;DR: Buy what you can afford, with features you like, with good parts availability.
  10. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

Yeah well i cant go a half a lap without crashing. All your guys advise is great. Its helped me see alot more then i thought. Ill post future questions if i come up with any. Thanks again everyone.
  11. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCUVZ&P=0

i think i got it. Still not sure.
  12. yreka rc

yreka rc Registered

The benefit to buying a sc10, is that you will be able to buy parts locally for your rig if it breaks. Betty will have every part for that thing. The durango would be a great truck as well, but buying parts would be online shopping only, and as far as I know there aren't as many of them laying around in the rogue valley. Most of the guys I have raced with lately run the rc10 and love them. Just my 2 cents. Whatever you buy, get to learn how it works and get to practice with it as much as you can. I believe caleb was saying that they would do a novice class if they had enough people, and that's a great way to get into the hobby and support your local track.
  13. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Have u talked to Richard.  I know he is selling his sc10. Has a nice setup already 4800kv brushless.  And I think it has a sidewinder esc. Its still like brand new. Be much cheaper than $300  and could have it as fast as tomarrow.  Ill be at the track tomorrow. U gonna put more lap time in the losi?
  14. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

im not sell the black and yellow one im selling my red one! I will sell it rtr for $150 or as a roller for $100 let me know it has a brushed motor with a brushless esc! other than a new set of tires its pretty much bone stock!
  15. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

oh.........  :-X.. isnt the red one a rustler chassis?
  16. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

Ok. i got it. Its gunna be a SC10 Associated RS RTR brushless. 3300KV Motor Brushless. Reviews said that its the equvilance(bad spelling) of a 17.5 motor so its a bit slower then our tekin 13.5 turn so thats a plus for me as chase and adam seen i am a wall marshal. lol
  17. yreka rc

yreka rc Registered

18. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

The review guys aren't very intelligent then, a 3300kv is a 13.5 which is about perfect in that truck.
  19. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

Holy crap. Really? ssshhh dont tell my dad he thinks its alot slower then his truck :D He doesnt want his own sons truck faster. LOL.
  20. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

no i got rid of that rustler a long time ago! the red one is an sc10