1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Short Course for beginner?

Discussion in 'Racing and Bashing' started by HeadHoncho, May 12, 2013.

1. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCXXK&P=0

im thinking about this rig as my first short course truck? My dad and i have a xxx losi and im not the best of driver lol and now that we have one i want one of my own. i was thinking about buying that truck and then put this system in it. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAETT&P=0  If i got this would i have to change anything on the truck? So i dont break anything or what? Like i said im very new to this aspect of rcing. Or if you have any other suggestions on a good starting point truck wise? Any help or advise will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. AK BIGFOOT

AK BIGFOOT Registered

Whats this you put my Dad and I have a Losi XXX-SCT, get it straight son I have a Losi XXX-SCT. LOL
  3. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

Oh and im also willing to take advise on any short course buggies too.
  4. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

What r u wanting to do with this. If your really hard on it and wreck alot. I'd say get a slash. But on the other hand. I have an sc10 as well. And love it. Broke one thing on it so I upgraded to an aluminum peice,  then was having striped hole issues. Problem now solved and smooth as water. But I  do baby it. Unless im at the track. That double is so damn addictive. My buddy has a 2wd slash and he loves his. Your links are good choices. But get used to your stock that castle has alot of power and will do well in your truck. I have that sidewinder in almost all my rigs and that motor in my sc10 w/ mamba max pro. Lot of guys love the tekin $$$$. Any choice u choose you'll love. But one thing for sure run it on lipo.
  5. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Also 2wd is a blast and youll be same class as your dad. But those 4x4 are ruthless.
  6. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

Yeah lipo? racing? for sure. and the xxx sct we have has a tekin 13.5 brushless set up. lets just say im a wall rider. lol. Yeah the slashes are cool but alot of people have them and associated ive heard is a good start. or i might get some type of buggy maybe a xxxscb i know some people who have them too. That way we have a sct and a scb too. Change it up a bit.
  7. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

and i thinl im not gunna race this season. Just take my time and get stuff set up and get a feel for it. i dont wanna be the who hits everyone. lol
  8. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Before you decided to not race. Pbr's track is open tues thur Sunday except this up coming weekend. Go out and get a feel for it. Let the addiction settle in. This is my first season racing and had my sc10 scense march. So im a noob too. Had a rustler once but ultimately wanted short course. And honestly my next one will be a sc10b. But I want to master this truck first. Who knew rc was so seasonal.  Lol ..
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

I saw you were looking at Tower Hobbies and today I got a email saying they are having free shipping on orders over $99.  Her's the link:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/free_shipping.html
  10. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

well if your looking to keep the cost down heres a kit for a smoking low price!! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25491__Turnigy_SCT_2WD_1_10_Brushless_Short_Course_Truck_KIT_.html or the arr's are like $122 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20558__Turnigy_SCT_2WD_1_10_Brushless_Short_Course_Truck_ARR_.html then theres the buggies http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18737__Turnigy_1_10_Brushless_2WD_Desert_Racing_Buggy_ARR.html but i dont think you can get the xxx- scb anymore i do beleave they discontinued them!
  11. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Ok for all the beans it may be worth.  Stay away from what Knightrider posted, they are junk and parts are hard to get.  Second the SC10 is for more of a finesse driver and will not take the abuse well.  Third the XXX-sct is a good starting point if you can find one.  Fourth an SCB (short course buggy) has open wheels and is more prone to breakage so not a good starting point.  Fifth slash's are NOT bulletproof and will break until you replace all the parts with rubber from RPM.  Sixth and last point, best money for value and basically the best rig is a 22 SCT hands down.  Holds up well to abuse and is about the fastest thing out for most tracks.
  12. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

I'd go with the desc210 rtr they just dropped the price to 289.99 and come with some pretty good electronics
  13. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Forgot about that one. Good rig also.
  14. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

Also if u must go with an sc10 go with the rs version it's already brushless and has wheel hexes
  15. mlhayes

mlhayes Registered

Has to be the best bang for the buck right now.
  16. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered

get what the fastest dude in town is running and get setup tips from him. that way its not the car its your driving.
  17. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

That is some of the worst advise anyone can give, I'm sorry it's harsh but true.  The "fastest" or fast guy doesn't have anything to do with what he is driving.  Chad Paris is a great example at one race a few years ago, his Mugen broke so he pulled out some guys RTR Thunder Tiger Mirage and still placed second!!!!!  Get ALOT of opinions from locals at the track and see what they are running, and ask them what they do and don't like about there rigs.
  18. yreka rc

yreka rc Registered

That team durango 2wd is $289, plus if your a tower hobbies member, you can get an extra $40 off and free shipping.
  19. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

thats a deal!!!!.
  20. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

How are those team durangos? Anybody run them before? Any first off replacement parts to get?