1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Request For Proposal - FPV Video Service

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by smitty, Oct 4, 2012.

1. smitty

smitty Registered

Hey all,
    I know it's been a long time, no contact.
    I've been heavily involved with our local HOA and it's taking all of my time.

Here's what I'm looking for.

I need a fly over and video or stills of one of our vacant lots here in the Highlands.
    Ideally, the video would trace the lot from property pin to property pin.
    We just need to capture the details of the lot and it's surrounding open space.

I need to know what this service will cost so I can propose it to the Board of Directors.

anyone want to come to Roseburg?
  2. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

If I had time I'd be there in an instant for you Smitty! Unfortunately I am back to working both my jobs which eats up 16+ hours a day during the week and I spend my weekends licking my wounds ;) John (GPS) has been doing a LOT of AV flying with his hexacopter. Send him a PM and see if he has some time to run up there. If you need true FPV, or can't find anyone else is able to come up there, I'l make a special exception for you and drive up there next weekend. Cost will be $50 to cover fuel to get there and back, and buy me lunch ;) Let me know ASAP so I can make plans.

Mike
  3. Golden Child

P.S. - VERY good to hear from you!!!
  4. Golden Child

OOH - just had a thought...

SWAP MEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any time for some fun with your old pals?
  5. smitty

smitty Registered

News Flash!!!
    I just found out that my proposal won't fly, pun intended, for legal reasons.

As for a Swap Meet...
    I have no plans for an event anytime soon.
    My HOA commitment is up at the end of May 2013.
    So I'll look at the possibility for next June or July.

Back to the topic.
    Since the RFP for FPV is off of the table,
    I won't have to get the Board of Directors to approve what can't be done.
    So... maybe that's a good thing.

Too bad I lost focus on my tricopter project.
    Sure could have put it to good use here and now.
    I'm taking it with me on my winter exile to warmer climates, so maybe I can re-focus on it there.
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Smitty, long time!  What are the legal reasons you mentioned?
  7. smitty

smitty Registered

8. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Hi Smitty, yup "long time" ? Good to see ya [​IMG]

As for your LAWS I won't pretend I know them but I would have to think even without the resent 'legislation' posted above you would be allowed to Fly-Over with the purpose of photographing your OWN property ... It would be NO different than a Farm Owner renting an aircraft and photographing his property via traditional methods-of-old, with a OLD Film Camera

... But I guess the 'GREY' area would be 'photographing' the property surrounding yours?

I know with Google as the question of 'privacy' was raised when Google MAPS came on-line they promised or we're told to keep the resolution of their imagery LOW [EDIT] and to AGE the Images, NO recent imagery [/EDIT] as not to give away any 'secrets' (as they say) and especial where 'government installations' were concerned!

[acronym=EYE See! "w00d's Photo Musings" LINK to my BLOG][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Here is a good read on this subject:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c112:6:./temp/~c112jGgrTh:e195772:

It would appear that operation of RC aerial photography and video systems in line of sight operation and under operation space of commercial and civilian airspace could be exempt from the certification process.
  10. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Your link is some sort of a search query that has timed out. I would like to read this.
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't see a way to link to the article directly.  Here is the text.

Bill Text
    112th Congress (2011-2012)
    H.R.658.IH

See:

SEC. 323. SPECIAL RULES FOR CERTAIN UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.

(a) In General- Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall determine if certain unmanned aircraft systems may operate safely in the national airspace system. The Secretary may make such determination before completion of the plan and rulemaking required by section 322 of this Act or the guidance required by section 324 of this Act.
    (b) Assessment of Unmanned Aircraft Systems- In making the determination under subsection (a), the Secretary shall determine, at a minimum--
    (1) which types of unmanned aircraft systems, if any, as a result of their size, weight, speed, operational capability, proximity to airports and population areas, and operation within visual line-of-sight do not create a hazard to users of the national airspace system or the public or pose a threat to national security; and
    (2) whether a certificate of waiver, certificate of authorization, or airworthiness certification under section 44704 of title 49, United States Code, is required for the operation of unmanned aircraft systems identified under paragraph (1).
    (c) Requirements for Safe Operation- If the Secretary determines under this section that certain unmanned aircraft systems may operate safely in the national airspace system, the Secretary shall establish requirements for the safe operation of such aircraft systems in the national airspace system.