1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

RC4WD: Killer Krawler

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by GPS, Jan 15, 2012.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

2. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Wow, that is a CNC masterpiece, someone spent a lot of time to figure all that out and get it done. most all of those parts were flipped for a second and some even a third process........
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I thought it was one sweet looking machine too. It looks like a labor of love. I was hoping one of our crawler members might have seen one in person and could tell us some more about it.

I found this video on YouTube that shows this Killer Krawler next to a HPI Baja 5B, yeah it's big!

4. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

And the dream crusher speaks lol ;D. Sorry to say it is far less cool than it looks. Fit and finish is pretty poor and all the unnecessary aluminum on it just makes it a huge boat anchor. The suspension is one of the poorest designs I have seen in recent history. Turning is insanely poor as is the durability of the axles. Tires have no grip whatsoever and the poorly designed axles couldn't slide across a stick of melting butter. The gear ratio is unbelievably high for a crawler of any type let alone one with the huge tires. The brushless motors are useless for crawling and are sensorless making it even worse. Rod ends are worthless and fall apart with hardly any use. The guy I know with one views it as the worst expensive rc mistake he ever made. You would not even believe how awful it is unless you saw it in person. I have honest to god seen sinistercad drive his 4x4 sc truck further up a pile of rocks than one of these would make it. I usually avoid rc4wd altogether except for gears and their tires. they are way more about looks than actual performance 
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Are there any good 1/5 scale crawlers?
  6. crawlerbubba

crawlerbubba Registered

You'll probably do best by building one yourself...im gathering up parts to build a supper now.old school of course.like my first crawler i ever built.....
  7. highlandcrawler

I would say a clod, berg, or bully based super would come out to somewhere near 1/5th scale and perform pretty well. Tires start becoming a major limiting factor and most all competitive supers have custom made ones. I would love to make another super crawler myself but cost keeps me away for a while longer.
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Have you guys built any 1/5 scale crawlers?
  9. highlandcrawler

Cant really say what scale it was exactly but this one I made was bigger than 1/8 for sure. It had somewhere around a 20" wb and those were moab xl tires. It lacked a good radio system to control all the cool stuff but was pretty fun none the less. All I had was a 4ch futaba 75mhz ;D stick radio. I wish I still had it now but there was just no one to run it with at the time. I have been slowly squirreling away parts to build a berg based super for a while now also. Maybe some day I will get the time to kick that project in the butt and get it moving.

[​IMG]
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Is "Berg" a brand name?  I searched A Main Hobbies and didn't find a crawler called Berg.
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

12. highlandcrawler

Lol ya they have a ton of different names now and have been bought and sold. They are called berg, new age, enroute and another I cant remember. The only useful part is the axles themselves though. You are best off just buying an axle kit and going from there. The v1 axles are the most sought after and the v2 is not so favorable. There is another version called the nano that seems like a nice design but shares the "bad" parts of the v2. Best and one of the only places to get the axles by themselves is through RPP. TCS has a lot of replacement parts also.

http://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/258.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=258&show=20&page=1&brand=New%20Age

And this set has been seriously worked over

[​IMG]

Another option is the super bully axles

http://store.rc4wd.com/Super-Bully-Comp-Axle-with-Knuckles-_p_490.html
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

Are these axles better than the Axial AX10 axles with Robinson Racing steel fears?  What is so good about these Berg axles?  Are there better axles than Berg if one was going to build a custom rig?
  14. highlandcrawler

I haven't seen or even knew Robinson made gears for the ax10 axles so I cant comment on that part. Its hard to compare the 2 axles as they are so vastly different. Each has its own place and will be better for certain things than the other. If you are looking for all out performance than the moa (motor on axle) setup is the way to go. Don't get me wrong shaft driven axles can perform very well also but the moa setup is just more favorable and versatile. I personally like the Berg axles for their durability and modular design. They can be setup and made to work with almost any setup you want. There is a large aftermarket support for the bergs also. The berg axles lend themselves to custom builds very well. You have options for all sorts of axle tubes and inner axles. They can be made basically indestructible also which is a good thing in a comp truck.