1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Quadcopter

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by RCGuy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Tiger

Tiger Registered

That's a really unique design.  I had not seen that one.  The redundancy of the motors is a big plus.  Yes - A larger quad is much more stable than a tiny one like I built.  I just like the challenge of little things.  I've built lots of tiny EDF and prop planes to.  The HoverFly equipment is top notch.  It's just really really expensive!  I'm using FR4 over CF for mine because it has equally good properties for this particular application.  There are situations where the higher cost of CF is warranted.  This just isn't one of them.  Actually, most applications get little or no benefit from CF, but it sells well because guys really like it.  CF would look really cool on mine, but with no functional advantage, ten times the cost, and a super hassle to mill in the CNC, I'll pass.  :)

Maybe you should start a quadrotor section on the forum so we don't hijack this FPV section.
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

I like the design of that AscTec Falcon 8 a lot.  Do you think the HoverFly module would work on a similar frame?  I downloaded their manual and I answered one of my previous questions that the stock HoverFly Pro can handle eight ESC/motors out of the box, but the configurations they show are all + and X or * shapes, no V like the AscTec Falcon 8.
  3. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I don't think the HoverFly would have any trouble with that at all.  It's mainly the boom configuration that's completely different about that.  I don't see the angle of the motor rows changing the flight dynamics all that much.  The HoverFly is definitely a professional grade piece of hardware.  You couldn't go wrong with that.

Speaking of different frame configurations, here is a pic of one that especially interests me.  One of the big problems with what I built is keeping orientation in flight.  The thing is so tiny that you can lose track of of the front real easy.  I think something like this "H" configuration would be a big help.  At least you'd only have two fronts.  :)  I'm not going to build it until I'm completely satisfied with what I have, but I think a mini one of these is in my future.

Attached Files:

4. GPS

GPS Registered

"Only two fronts"  LOL  I have trouble orienting a helicopter so a quad with four fronts at any distance is looking for trouble.  I saw one video somewhere with a guy who added a long rod (antenna?) sticking out the front to assist with orientation.  On the other hand, if you do real FPV none of this really matters much, if at all.

One thing your latest photo also implies is transport of the quad.  Having arms that fold would be a real benefit for a large quad.  I saw one somewhere, perhaps it was a military unit, that folded up and fit inside a tube that could be easily carried in a backpack.  The DraganFlyer can do this also: http://www.draganfly.com/.  The Draganfly and AscTec models are just was too expensive for hobby use.  Even doing some commercial work I think the ROI would be a long time.
  5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I've seen a number of quad designs that fold up.  That would be really nice if the quad was large.

I took my little one to the indoor fly at Lincoln Savage gym tonight.  No wind - High ceiling - Lots of room!  Had a great time flying it.  Probably the best time I've had so far.  Finally got to see what full throttle was like.  It's a rocket!  Also got to do a little fast forward flight.  Great fun!  Wish we could get the gym at Redwood.  That is so much closer for most of us.
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

We were planning to go to the indoor meetup last night also but couldn't make it.  I would have really liked to see your quad.  So it's fast, but how about the handling?  Does it do auto leveling?
  7. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Tiger where are you getting the firmware from for that HK board.
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Flightbox - The HK board comes with firmware loaded for a quad.  You can get compatible firmware for all other configurations (tri, hex, etc) on the KK (not HK) site.  I just started a new thread a few minutes ago that will help you find sources.  Note that the processor in the HK board is small and will not hold some of the newest firmware.  There are however instructions for upgrading the processor chip on the HK site if you're handy with a soldering iron.  I'm going to order the chip to upgrade mine this week.  I don't remember the exact cost, but it's under $5.  I'll let you know how challenging the chip change turns out to be.

...Tiger
  9. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Great news!  The HobbyKing board that I mentioned has just been replaced by a revised board with the larger processor (more memory).  With the new processor it is now compatible with all of the latest software from the KK site!  Best part is that they only increased the price by 80 cents.  Wow!

Here is the new link:  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=19534

...Tiger
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

This is the board you are using right Tiger?
    Are you going to the field this Sunday?  If so, could you bring your quad?
  11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I'm using the older board with smaller processor so I don't have the latest firmware.  I have two of those boards so I'm still going to upgrade the chips and load the new firmware.  Anyone buying a new board should definitely get the one with the new processor.  They still seem to be selling the older board so you need to be sure which one you're looking at.

I will probably be at the field this Sunday if what they are saying about wind and rain doesn't happen.  I can bring along the little quad so you can at least take a look at it in person.  Can't fly it if there is any wind though.  I'm also planning to take it to Lincoln Savage again next Wednesday for the indoor fly.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

OK.  I'd like to see it in person and for sure see it fly but I understand it about the wind.  I will see you there Sunday and also try to make it to the next indoor meetup in Murphy at the school.
  13. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Tiger    Now you know we want a play by play on changing that chip, let us now know It goes. Pic's would be great.  Dave
  14. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Dave - I just know you're in a big hurry to change that chip so here is a photo sequence of what you need to do.  Check out the third entry on this page:  http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17537    :)  :)  :)
  15. Flightbox

Flightbox Registered

Actually  I haven't bought one yet. I was just curious to see you do it for future reference.  I'm still not quite sure which way to go.
  16. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Well... You guys missed the boat.  We flew the little quad BIG TIME at the indoor flying at Lincoln Savage School last night.  Lots of guys there and everyone had lots of fun.  Nice to fly with no wind for a change!

...Tiger
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

We were planing to come to the indoor meet up but worked double shifts and took a nap in between.  We didn't wake up until 8:30 so it didn't make sense to try and make it to Murphy at that hour just to have to turn around and head to work.  I had even cycle charged all my eRevo 1/16 and Associated 18R batteries so I could get some decent run times.

I really want to see your quad one of these days.