1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychology 101: KARMA

Discussion in 'FAQ and Suggestions' started by w00d, May 26, 2012.

?

Have you increased a users KARMA

1. Increased, Yes

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Increased, No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both increased and decreased

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I've used the Karma feature but it was Negative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I've never used the Karma feature but I might

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Indeed there are 'stupid' questions!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I abstain from voting!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bada Bing Bada Boom

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Just asking out of academic curiosity as I find 'Karma' in the context of the forums a bit of a mystery!
    ... I was wondering what people are actually saying or what they mean when they increase or decrease someones 'Karma'

When I have increased a persons Karma I would like to think I'm saying "at the time I found your information VERY useful" ... Increasing their Karma is ONE of my ways of saying (albeit anomalously) "thanks"

... and myself having received 'negative' Karma I'm also curious to know what that means to everyone? This is NOT to accuse anyone of entering a negative response but hypothetically if you might enter negative Karma what are you saying?

Thanks
        [size=1.2em][shadow=grey,left]w00d[/shadow][/size]

[hr]
  2. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I have no idea what the karma thing is.
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

Help is your friend: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Karma
  4. goldhellian89

goldhellian89 Registered

Is this why I'm still only a junior member? I have +2 karma.. I've been wondering how to change your member status... if it was time spent on the site.... I would be a hero member lol
  5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I'm glad wOOd opened this karma thing up so I could vent a little.  Don't worry, I'll be prepared to see a couple more hits when I log in tomorrow.  :)

I for one am not a fan of this karma thing.  More specifically, I'm not a fan of having negative karma.  I have been hit twice with negative karma, but in my case I know why.  I took issue once with what I thought was a very inappropriate posting.  I had just given this link to a new 9yr old newbie and was really embarrassed to think he and probably his mother were going to see this posting on their first visit.  As it turns out the posting was taken down and all ended well, but in the process I took two karma hits which quite honestly still offends me.  What's most unfortunate about the negative karma is that you don't necessarily know why you got it and you definitely don't know by who.  If I posted something that offended someone, I'd much prefer that they PM me and say something.  If I was wrong, I'd apologize and I'd do better in the future.  The negative karma thing is more like a blind stab in the back.  I'm not saying it's necessarily a vicious act, but I don't think anyone could make a case for it being constructive in any way shape or form.  If it's supposed to be a way to police the postings, it's a total failure.  I think a PM from the moderator would be a thousand times more constructive.  If someone is a persistent offender, I say just kick them off the forum completely.  I'm sure we all want to keep this a place where everyone is welcome and that we can all be proud of.

As for positive karma, I think that's a wonderful feature.  There are guys on here that constantly make huge contributions and go to incredible lengths to research and answer questions.  I see positive karma as a way to acknowledge and thank those people for their tireless effort.  It's a great way to let them know that what they do has not gone unnoticed and is appreciated by all. 

There are guys on here that should have karma of about +500.  There are also those on here that should have their negative karma cleared for things they never understood or for problems that have long been corrected.  I see no benefit in carrying these scars forward indefinitely as they are now.

It would be interesting to see a survey asking people with negative karma if they know who gave it to them and why.  I'm betting most people don't have a clue!  Maybe it's time to wash the slate clean and start over.  Anyone up for that?

...Tiger

6. w00d

w00d Registered

Thanks Tiger, for your input ... From what you wrote it's clear you understand my questions. You did touch on something I was wondering, those who give a 'negative' response has me asking what is the intent, why are they saying it? Personally if I we're to give someone negative Karma it would be taking the LOW road, I would do it just to be mean! But I wouldn't so that is no admittance to me every having done so ... Yes I to think it's BAD Karma {LOL} to do something like that, in my mind it's something a 'Troll' would do ...

Anywayz that's what it means to me, to summarize I'm wondering if it all means the same to everyone or do we all have different interpretations as to both positive and negative Karma? And if different what are those interpretations?

Either way as always I would take it all with the old proverbial grain of salt ;)

[hr]
  7. w00d

w00d Registered

No your 'status' is increased as you post, the more you post the higher your status ;) Just be sure to make em good posts which might make your Karma grow
  8. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Hmmm... I never knew how the karma thing worked until this thread. Ya didn't have a button for that wOOd.  :)

I do think Tiger has a good point.
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

A member once sent me a screenshot of a member "Smiting" others.  If you've been here a while and read some posts I guess it really isn't that hard to figure out the people who would post negative (smite) style Karma.

I have never given another member negative Karma and yet I have plenty.  Personally I could care less.  If someone likes to behave backhandedly they are going to be like that in their dealings and changing the Karma "Feature" won't change that.
  10. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

There have been a lot of requests by people asking who gave them negative "Karma", and if we know why.  Although only the Karma results are visible to the members at large, the database does track who has been giving Karma applause and smites.

We can add a module that will display the Karma log in a format allowing the vote data to be viewable and also require a comment by the applauser/smiter before a applause or smite vote can be entered.

What do you folks think?
  11. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

I was just wondering about this? I just got hit on a negative, but i dont know? I try and keep it friendlly and only tell tips that i have done. Dont be a douchbag... let people know why u spite them.
  12. joebollinger35

joebollinger35 Registered

I think this is a great idea just as long as everyone remains semi-adult(lets face it we are all kids at heart!) it will be great!
  13. w00d

w00d Registered

Would like to, TRY to clarify my intent when I thought about and in making this thread

It wasn't my intent to find 'who' was making 'negative' KARMA although that's the direction the thread seems to have taken. Besides that information can be easily found as it was implied above. It's not that secret, we know who and have seen it being done, just invest some time and look. My intent was to get some insight as to what things mean to different people that's ALL! Although I have found out and I think people are taking it far more serious than it needs or needed to be, but hey this is ONLY my opinion. But if 'things' get more personal, any more personal where peeps are feeling offended then this thread maybe taken down and this I (we) don't want ...

EDIT: Just because I CAN, for everyone that's participated in this thread I've upped their KARMA by one ... LMAO [​IMG]
              LOL, maybe I'm feeling a guilty for the few times I have pressed the 'smite' button [insert evil-grin here]

I've also changed the POLL rules: Now in order to SEE the results we have to VOTE
    ... Hey, this brings to mind ... I don't think POLL's in general are very useful on small sites as the 'data set' is guaranteed to be small
    ... What do you's think?

[hr]
  14. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Cr@p wOOd I just smited you.  :eek:
    I was trying to see where you found where folks could find the applaud/smite information and hit your smite button. Sorry  :(
    ( I still haven't found it.)
    I tend to agree with chaseloc101. If we do need a smite button, there aught to be a who and why it's being used, and I still agree with Tiger's thoughts on good karma, some folks go above and beyond trying to help with good information.
    Just my 2 cents worth. 

wOOd, I gave you an applaud. Not just for making up for the smite but for getting the conversation started.
  15. w00d

w00d Registered

My joking aside I could also say I upped the KARMA's for participating and for voicing the opinions

Even though I don't necessarily agree with ALL of those voices. As much has we may NOT like it, for GOOD and/or teh BAD I think for the KARMA thing to work it needs to be anonymous. But hey, again and for what it's worth this is only my opinion

That said I also feel it's wrong to abuse the privilege ... So here let the implications fall where they may ;)

[hr]
  16. w00d

w00d Registered

hehe, now I get the feeling no one wants to comment anymore [​IMG]
    ... Since thanks been expressed for bringing this subject to our attention it's with this appreciation I give you ALL the following. IMO yes this is a sensitive subject at best so we have to choose our words carefully! Following is teh 'Whois Online' URL (click picture), simple enough eh! At a quick glance it won't tell us much, but when looked at with enough frequency, strategic timing and sometimes luck we can get an idea of whois doing what. I tried to get across I was getting uncomfortable with this thread and I felt no less uncomfortable posting this but even if it helps keep the honest "honest" then I suppose it's alright. Anywayz as was implied we can find allot of information for ourself by watching your 'Whois On-Line' page

[​IMG]
              [size=0.7em]To Go-To Whois On-Line click PIC[/size]

EDIT: So can I expect to see more people using the whois feature [​IMG] See you there ...

[hr]
  17. Nopilot

Nopilot Registered

Interesting thread and interesting that there is a karma feature.
    I know that this subject is older than dirt but I will throw my .02 at the dead anyways lol.

The karma feature is a bad idea... period!
    It is not productive or positive for a small forum such as this and it is a good way to scare away potential new members who dont spend alot of time on the 'intawebz'. A smaller forum such as this and with a hobby such as this, you get alot of people from a lot of different walks of life and having a potentially negative thing, at the push of a button no less, could be damaging to a forums growth.
    The last forum that I was a part of was a local car one and I was one of 4 (if I remember correctly) moderators on it (No it wasn't medford tuners lol).
    We did have our differences of opinion from time to time but I found it was better to come right out and disagree on a subject, hash it out and move on. If someone did get out of line that's where my job came in as a mod to edit or delete a post and send the person a pm and discuss why i felt it was inappropriate. Sometimes I was in the wrong and would apologize and had misunderstood something but most of the times I had already contacted other mods and adminis to assess the situation before actions were taken.
    Anywho, forums are going to have trolls (for those of you who don't know a troll is a grumpy nasty person who just likes to cause chaos, thrives on negativity and is generally a bitter person who loves drama) ban them ugly suckas before they cause damage and move on promoting a positive forum... which leads us back to negative karma.
    Negative karma is a (as one user put it) a backstabbing little nasty way of saying, I don't like you. And what better way to scare off a potential new member, who down the road could be a good, contributing member, than to say... I don't like you.
    If you don't like someone or what they have to say then either ignore them or if this site has the feature, block them so that you cannot see their posts.
    I'm pretty sure that we are all adults and on a local level like this we can just agree to disagree and move on to the next sunbject. Rarely would I think that emotions would go to that high a level.
    On the flip side with positive karma, just tell someone thanks and give them an Internet high five, we have words to express our thanks and appreciation and shouldn't need a karma button to do so.

That's it...lol. Back from the dead thread coming at ya! Haha!
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

This current forum software does not have the Karma feature. This is a legacy post from former times (2012) when we used a different system. This post was imported along with all the other posts but no longer represents the current offerings.
  19. Nopilot

Nopilot Registered