1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Do You Have a Rock Crawler?

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by GPS, Oct 7, 2011.

?

Do you have a rock crawler?

1. Yes, I have one rock crawler.

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. Yes, I have more than one rock crawler.

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. No, I do not have a rock crawler but I intend to get one.

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. No, I do not have a rock crawler and I do not intend to get one.

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. crawlerbubba

crawlerbubba Registered

gots me 5 running crawlers....one i just robbed the tranny out of,and the yota bucket i plan on haveing done for the comp this sunday!so i guess i kinda have seven!i have a toyota that is dove tailed front and rear.outrunner holmes hobby crawlmaster in it.sidewinder sc,jr servo,custom exo,sliders,and bumpers.im running swampers and alum rockstars on it.its a tank.does some nice cookies,but way to heavy to jump.tons of aluminum,and scale shocks.ive had it a few years,and its proven itself many times...got a wraith with 2.2 boggers,m/t black alum wheels,rooster s/c,35 turn holmeshobby mtr,alum lower links,alum c hubs,alum straight axle kit,alum knuckles,and alum link trusses. 3rd i have another toyota with a metal tube bed i made.still run bed sides,alum wheels,steel sliders,clear window,solid rear cab,tekin s/c....next we have a couple of rcp wrekluses....first is a orange on...here i took my extra wraith apart and stuffed it all in the wrekluse.the axles were a perfect fit.supper wide and kinda scale looking.interior fit great.motor tranny and all electronics went in and i changed to a 14 tooth pinion.running alum mayhem monsters on it with good ol boggers.did a lil bit of changes on the tube work here and there...next is my 4 year olds birthday present.its a wrekluse also.running swampers,alum rc4wd wheels,scale shocks,and some custom tube work done on it also....ive got a integy tube chasis with scx10 axles,alum shocks,alum mayhem wheels,and swampers.im missing a tranny for it now since it got donated to the yota build....but ive got the parts to build another,just no time!well as you can see if its aluminum ive gotta have it,and i think im more into semi scale looking rigs than anything else....any questions or comments are welcome...thanks for reading....

Attached Files:

2. yotapane

yotapane Registered

Heres a few pics of my crawlers, the 1st f350 is my latest, build thread to follow soon....

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/80yotapane/Snapbucket/69bffa17-b9eb-47df-bce7-cb719437cd43.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/80yotapane/Snapbucket/7611f2c2-fd5c-4bfd-a8ae-d41fdf43d100.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/80yotapane/Snapbucket/862a1aaa-0129-42fe-9d80-1d104984433b.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/80yotapane/Snapbucket/deacdf64-0861-4b03-a0ad-7d9a50005eea.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/80yotapane/Snapbucket/d8687e56-0064-4dc1-b5b7-a1b367a81111.jpg
  3. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Nice.
    I do like scale rigs.  :)
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Hey yotapane -  did you do the paint on this body:

[​IMG]

I like the rust looking details and are those rivets painted or are they part of the body mold?
  5. yotapane

yotapane Registered

yep, i painted it ....the rivets are molded, i just gave it some rust around the rivets and detailed it....lots of patients and testors model paint
  6. crawlerbubba

crawlerbubba Registered

Heres a groupe photo...

Attached Files:

7. GPS

GPS Registered

Nice!  It looks like a competition photo! 
  8. crawlerbubba

crawlerbubba Registered

Even more so when yota pain comes over!!!
  9. cyrusmcc2002

cyrusmcc2002 Registered

Almost done with my first one. Got the Axial XR-10 and now just waiting on my electronics, should be here by next week. I cant wait to try it out! Got my son a Max Stone 8 and he loves it, not sure how it is going to hold up but we will see. I see that there are alot of people in Nor Cal and Southern Oregon that are into this. Let me know where there are some good spots to go.
  10. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

There are quite a few of us roaming around the valley. Where are you at? are you around grants pass or north California? Most popular spot around the Rouge valley is Rock Point over in Gold Hill. If you let me know where you are located I could give you some more spots close to you. When you  get it all together feel free to hit me up and I would be more than happy to come out and do some crawling with you. What did you pick for electronics in your XR?
  11. cyrusmcc2002

cyrusmcc2002 Registered

Im down in Hornbrook, im sure you know where that is. As far as my electronics I went with the rc4wd 55T motors, outcry dual esc, 11.1 1300 mah25C lipo. Receiver and Controller was one I had, 4 ch receiver and a 2 channel remote for now, off brand. And then a servo that I had laying around from another project, not a high torque one, so im going to see how it does, hopefully it wont blow up! Just got my body painted today and waiting on parts. I am familiar with the area around  Pluto Cave that ive read you guys have met up at and have a few other places in mind, but would like to come up and watch one of the competetions some time. Im new to this so hopefully the parts I ordered will work just fine in my rig.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

I have a XR10 kit also.  I wish you would have posted a build thread with photos so we could check out the steps and see how it went.
  13. cyrusmcc2002

cyrusmcc2002 Registered

Yeah I wish I would have taken some photos or a video, it had some tricky parts to the build, but overall it wasnt that bad. Ill know more when it starts rolling right? I didnt find this web site until i had it half built. Have you started building your xr yet?
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

It's never too late to post some photos of your build.  We all like to see each others cars, trucks, airplanes, helicopters and anything else RC related!

I have not started to build my XR10 yet.  I am planning to use dual brushless sensored systems and every time I am close to pulling the trigger on systems I blow my budget on some other RC stuff.  Recently I got a really nice Losi Comp Crawler from Tiger with the ESC and motor money I had earmarked for the dual systems.  Not that I'm complaining.  ;)

Another matter which you probably know is the XR10 doesn't have a ton of room so fitting dual ESCs is going to be tricky.
  15. goldhellian89

goldhellian89 Registered

im new to crawling... So i need help with my summit, i would be down fo sho. Pm if you wanna help me
  16. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Check out highlandcrawler's Twin ESC Squish thread :)

http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?topic=194.msg1214#msg1214
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

I had read Highlandcrawlers squish topic, but the B1R is for brushed motors, I want to go with sensored brushless motors.
  18. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

19. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

I wont comment on the dual brushless as I'm sure you don't want to hear me beat that horse anymore lol ;). I would say its more common to run dual esc in most all moas though. You would be amazed at how you can cram all that into a tiny space if you get creative. The vast majority use the twin fxr combo with great results. I just pulled those baby Tekins out of mine and went with a pair of AE-2 controllers. I will see if I have a pic of them when I was doing those.

EDIT:

I did get a couple decent ones nothing special. I stuck 2 of the AE-2 controllers together face to face after I de-heatsinked them both. Replaced all the wires and deleted the switches. Shortened the receiver leads to 3" and strapped a bec on the side. I managed to get them small enough to fit in my new CHUMP chassis which is narrower than any chassis I have ever driven. I was surprised how small it turned out compared to the original size. They are close to size in a squished FXR pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. GPS

GPS Registered

I'd like to have two Novak Goat 3S ESCs in a space that small!  :)