1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Phoenix Flight SIM: Version 4 BETA release

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by w00d, Mar 1, 2012.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    I believe NO future upgrades are going to FIX my issues with Phoenix

So sad for me Phoenix is simply NOT going to support my hardware and "that's ALL she wrote" ...
    ... I know I've been long overdue with the PC upgrades ... just the timing sucks
    So sad for me but I really have no upgrade path either, only a complete NEW system would get me back into the gaming world
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

I feel for you w00d.  My system is also at the end-of-life stage, particularly it's graphics sub-system.  I've been procrastinating for a while now but soon I will need to bite the bullet.  I am going to be building my system from parts this time.  I already have a awesome case and I was holding off on the motherboard and other parts so I could get last years best stuff at reduced cost.
  3. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Sorry wOOd.  :(
    An upgrade of your graphics card wouldn't be enough?
    I replaced one on my last PC several years ago when I was having issues with Phoenix. The original board was the bare minimum to run the soft ware.
    I ended up replacing the PC about a year later because of age and other issues. I could have saved my self some money doing that in the first place. 

The heli build is on hold again. After what was originality some fair test hovers, except for a higher head speed than I had hoped for, I realized I hadn't set up a throttle hold switch  :eek:, so I did. Now when I flip the switch off throttle hold the darned thing goes instantly to almost half throttle and I've not touched the stick.  I've got to go back and undo what ever I did and try that again. ???

The last last test hover I did, I began to get some strange oscillations that was bad enough for me to cut the throttle and drop the heli from about 6". Well, that was enough to bounce the tail boom enough to get a tail blade strike again and also strip the gears on the front torque tube drive gear.  :mad:
    This time I've doubled up on the parts order.  ::)     
  4. w00d

w00d Registered

It's THAT time, and they have moved out of BETA info Final --->

Version 4.0.j FINAL

http://www.phoenix-simv3.com/news.asp
  5. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Are you able to use the 3D sites?
  6. w00d

w00d Registered

Don't know yet it's still downloading, been 1/2 hour so far but I think I have a slow connection today
  7. GPBill

GPBill Registered

I had to do it twice. The first time didn't take and the second time took 15 or 20 minutes.  :p
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

I'm also on my second try ??? On the first try the install seemed to get stuck about 1/3 in, after about an hour ??? And it looks like my second try is stuck in the same place ... I'll let ya know if it finishes, right now I think it's creeping alone at a snails pace ...................

EDIT: yup it's been 10min and the install hasn't moved,
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

Well after three tries I finally got it installed ...

Unfortunately, again I still can't run the 3D sites so short of a computer or video card upgrade no 3D for w00d  :eek:
  10. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Well cr@p, I was hoping that would do the trick for you.
    Flying in FPV is great using the quad but the few other models I have tried is a little more difficult because they have put the "camera" a little far back and a little low as to see out well, particular when trying to land.
  11. w00d

w00d Registered

haha I remember way back on Helifreak arguing w/ a number people saying they wouldn't and couldn't make Phoenix do 3D nor do FPV ...
    LMAO, guess we know now who was right and who wasn't eh [​IMG] Does sound like FUN and some day I'll get there with a new puter
  12. w00d

w00d Registered

Hey guess what I got working ...
    ... I got the 3D Sites working. {LMAO} Do'h, and ALL I needed to do was lower the 3D Resolution from "HIGH" to "LOW"

Anyhow, the performance is a little lacking ... It runs slow making the flying somewhat less smooth but the 3D Sites are working!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][shadow=grey,left]w00d[/shadow]
  13. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Alright wOOd.

Persistence paid off.  ;)
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

If that's a screen shot and "low" resolution those instruments look pretty good.
  15. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Phoenix update 4.0 K is available.  ;)
  16. w00d

w00d Registered

Any radical changes or major fixes to Phoenix this time?
    ... Unfortunately I won't be able to see for myself ... My Video card that was able to run Phoenix crapped out not that long ago, it's broked! Currently I'm using the on-board video which hardly has enough power to run a word processor let alone any 3D apps so we're not doing any 'simming'  ...

My poor old computing BOX is slowly dying a slow death

HaHa, speaking of things dying a slow death, my mouse is giving me troubles, double-trouble as it's left button only works when it feels like it. Thing also registers a Double-click when only one is intended which is between the two button issues MOST frustrating ...

Then there's my SD card for my Camera which is NOT dying, actually I KILLED it while in the reader my chair and myself crushed and bent it almost in half, so that also has given up the ghost, Do'h ... The moral of teh SD story is if you what a camera that works best to have at least one more SD card for back-up

LMAO, "when I RAINS it POURS" and certainly the "Rule-of-Thirds" is holding TRUE for tis FOOL and his China made crappola ...

It's ALL Toasted, it seems

[​IMG]

[\RANT]

[hr]
  17. GPBill

GPBill Registered

I really don't know what all the upgrade included wOOd. I did see a couple of new aircraft and a new flying site.  :)

Sorry about the declining health of the ole PC. 
    I feel your pain.
    I don't know about you, but my PC has quite a lot more entertainment value than the TV any more.
  18. w00d

w00d Registered

Well the BOX is somewhat workable, the only apps I can't run are the 3D apps ... Most everything else I can work around, albeit it's a slow go. The thing THAT really HURTS is NOT having an extra SD card, so I can't play with my camera for now, bla