1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

On-Road Today - 11:30 AM

Discussion in 'Events' started by GPS, Aug 4, 2013.

1. highlandcrawler

highlandcrawler Registered

No Im bummed I couldnt make it after all :-\. Jumped in the wifes car to leave and all hell broke loose when I started it. The serpentine snapped and got caught up on the power steering reservoir ripping it off. Even more awesome when I went inside and told my wife she tells me "oh ya it's been squealing the last few days. I forgot to tell you."  ::) ::) ::). I guess I'm just happy it happened to me and not her tommorow morning before work. Ill send you some pics of my project when it resembles a truck again. Its a pile of parts hiding under dust right now. This time it will be "bagged" with 4 wheel independant control so kinda different from your average drifter
  2. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Damn. That happened to me a little while ago. Messed my timming all up. $300  after I replaced belts in autozones parking lot. Looking forward to seeing the project.  Maybe a build thread.  ;) lol
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

To gear down go smaller. There are better options out there for motors if you plan to drift it much. That motor is all about top speed and will be kinda lacking in the needed torque in the right power range for good controled drifting. Drifting may not be your goal with it though so that might not matter. I dont know how you plan to run it. Start by dropping a few teeth on your pinion first and see how it goes. Also how hot is hot ? Are we talking 120 160 180 :eek:?
    [/quote]

The spur is 78 tooth and the pinion is 35 tooth.  I think the gears are 64 pitch.  Does that seem right?  They are some pretty fine teeth.  How can I identify what the pitch is of different gear sets?

If I don't have a smaller pinion would using a larger spur gear do the same thing?
  4. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

I would keep the spur gear. And find me a 20tooth pinon.  Their pretty cheap. Allthough your theory seems like it could fix your problem.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Highlandcrawler was talking about the trigger (throttle) position and in fact that was a area of concern when I was racing Sunday.
    When drifting I bet I never used 1/4 throttle.  Anything more just made the car spin wildly.  When I switched to touring car tires even after accelerating slowly and getting some seriously wicked speed punching the throttle would make the car spin.  You could see the tires break loose.

I forgot what 5700 KV works out to in Turns, but I think it's just too much motor.  I think this motor was left over from a SC truck build.  Does that seem to be the more appropriate application for it?