1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

OFNA Ultra GTP-2e Build

Discussion in 'On Road' started by GPS, Oct 18, 2011.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

I found a set of these foams:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_147/products_id/7272/n/OFNA-Molded-Foam-Donuts-Orange-Soft-6

They are leftover from when I build my OFNA Hyper 10SC short course truck.  I test fitted one yesterday and they fit very well.  The only concern is that they might be half to one millimeter narrower than the two piece stock foams.  One thing that I liked about the stock foams was that they got into the sidewall of the tire and felt like they supported it well like that.

I am also testing my new glue method on one tire and wheel so I'll know tonight which foams I will end up using.

Smitty - I didn't feel that these tires are ballooning very much and the inside of my body seems to back that theory.  However I will be watching for that on my next run...as soon as we get a break from the rain!  :'(
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

I tested a OFNA short course truck foam inside a tire for the OFNA Ultra GTP-2e to see if it might be a viable option because the stock two piece foams are a bit of a hassle and make the tire/wheel assemble complicated.

In the photo below you can see the results.
    The tire on the left has a orange OFNA foam (as seen on the duct tape roll) and the tire on the right has the stock foam. As you can see the orange short course truck foam causes the tire to "Crown" making it unsuitable for the OFNA Ultra GTP-2e. They also cause the overall diameter to increase by about 4 mm which throws off my body height adjustment.

The good news is that I figured out a better way to assemble the stock tire and wheels using the stock foams. I will post some assembly photos when I do the next two tire and wheels soon.

DSCF0903-web.JPG
  3. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

how does the tire look with a load on it (w/ the orange tire foam)?....nice cars by the way
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

It doesn't flatten enough and it looked like the contact patch was reduced.  Like I mentioned earlier, it also increased the overall diameter of the wheel and would have required increasing the body height and that is a deal breaker because I want the body as low as I can get it to avoid air getting under at speed.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Pile of Toys showed me his nitro OFNA GTP last night and it looks  great, a lot like my electric version.  It would be great to see a few more guys with 1/8 scale on-road this coming summer.  I'm going to start another thread with some buying suggestions and also try and see if one can be built at a lower cost.
  6. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

GPS-I was  getting back to fixing my GTP  :),and am changing the diff. oil. Do you remember what wt. you put in yours (front and back)? I might as well do this while it's apart & make a note for reference.
                                                                              Thank You-Sean
                                                        p.s= doubt it will be ready for next Saturday :-X
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I am running whatever was in the differentials when I got the 80% kit.  I can tell you that the rear oil is a lot thinner than the front oil, but I don't know what weights are in there.  I also checked my manual and they say to fill the diffs to 80% full with oil, but not the weight.  Even the setup guide does not mention any oil weights for shocks nor differentials.
    From the feel I would say that the rear differential oil if half to one third as thick as the front differential oil.  This seems to be working out really well for me and I have excellent front to rear power distribution even on-power in cornering.
  8. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

GPS-I can come up w/ something...I 'll probably use the 50k and 30k wt. I have laying around...I think OFNA uses at least 75k in the front...(part of the learning curve ;) )
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

I hope you have your GTP running for this weekend.  Also bring your Team Associated car. I am going to be bringing a couple 1/10 scale on-road cars so we can run those too.
  10. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

YUP! I am anxious to get to run my Tc3, I haven't started it since the last outing. The GTP is going to take more time than I have, to do it right, by this week end. What's the 5 day weather forcast looking like?...last I heard, it wasn't looking good :-\
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

Good point about the weather.  I just checked it out and it looks like rain this Saturday.  On the other hand it shows snow now and we're dry as a bone here in Grants Pass.  But if it does rain, or if it's still wet I won't run my on-road cars.  I'll post in the event thread on the calendar Friday night or Saturday morning if I don't plan to go due to weather.
  12. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

TIME TO BREAK THIS ONE OUT (?)
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

You bet, but not in the wet.  How is your 1/8 scaler doing?
  14. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

my GTP- the parts order got messed up=some items doubled,some missing "special order"-resulting in my loss of interest (it's shelved).
    IscottD, sounds interested in an "on road day"= run whatcha brung / hang out.
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

It would be good to find another 1/8 scale on-roaders or two this comin summer.

If Harbecks a rockin' don't bother knockin'...come on in!
  16. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

even 1/8 scale buggys would rip & there are alot of 1/8 rtr brushless rigs available too (at fair prices) :)
  17. lscottd

lscottd Registered

I have a nitro rustler that i can put low and foam tires on that work for the street. I would like to try running it on a oval/street track next other cars but mainly for fun. ;D

i cant buy anything do to not having a job yet its hard to fine one. i just moved here :(
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

Agree. I just meant that it would be good to see some larger scale on-road cars this summer. Even some more 1/10 scale on-road cars would be great too.

I would not recommend using foam tires on the asphalt. I've done it and they get chewed up pretty fast with big chunks getting torn from the wheels. Check out some of the tire details of my [url-http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?topic=292.0]OFNA GTP-2e build thread[/url]. Sleadd's in Grants Pass had some pre-built 1/8 scale on road wheels and tires that are pretty good too. Ask for Adam there and see if he still has any left.

The stock OFNA tires and wheels are great, but they are probably the most difficult wheels and tires to build of any RC car because of the foam. After building a few sets I came up with a very good system and I think it is outlined in the build. The inner tire foam is provided in strips instead of donuts so they are tricky to build. However once you have them built they are really good wheels and tires.
  19. lscottd

lscottd Registered

Lets just run so you can see how well this tires do. i do have others i can use but the hard foam one worked good on this before. It will be fun tryn to keep up with you ;D
  20. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

I would like to get in on this (not to compete, but just to roll w/ you guys)="have lawn chair, will travel"  :p
                        Would like to meet you LscottD, and John/GPS is a real pleasure to be around= good times
                                                      might need a heater though  ???