1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Rift development kit2

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Jonas, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Oculus rift DK2 will feature some pretty awesome hardware for 350 bucks.

1080p display.... optical and head tracking.

http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/

Now we just need a cheap way to get our NTSC streams into the googles. basicly Transporter3D for say under 50 bucks.

960 x 1080 per eye, 2ms persistence. (OLED)
  2. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I found a COFDM transmitter that will do 1080 video in real time, but it was $23,000.00 and a 6 month lead time from a company back East. DJI has just released a 1 mile range WiFi Tx for $1,500.00 might be easier to budget for.
  3. Tiger

Tiger Registered

4. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Yeah I found an converter like that on amazon for 30 bucks, but the problem is that currently the Rift needs the image to be duplicated on each side of the screen and probably distorted a bit.

here's what the feed to the HDMI would need to look like currently:

Here's more details on the device that CAN do it. T3D (pre-order for 700 bucks, meh)
    http://emrlabs.com/index.php?pageid=3
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    chaseloc101 likes this.
  5. Jonas

Jonas Registered

6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

That guy in the video is showing post processed output. He isn't seeing that while he's flying! He's got two side by side GoPro's shooting HD to SD Card. Then he post processes the video after the flight to get what you see. His FPV view isn't even a single channel of HD. It's a single channel of NTSC just like you are getting on your quad now. All this is a long ways from what we're dreaming about!

As far as I can see, the Oculas just has a single HDMI input channel and uses alternating fields to display 3D frames from two sources. I think if you fed regular HDMI into it, it would work fine but would naturally just have the same image on each screen alternately. You wouldn't see that since the frame rate is so high. I'm thinking it would work ok for our purpose with that converter I linked to earlier.

Your $700 box just does the up conversion like the Sabrent box did (NTSC>HD), but also does the field switching for you. It can handle three modes which includes a mode that field switches from two camera outputs and a mode that transfers from two sources already field switching. None of this is all that complicated really, but it does take some non-standard hardware to accomplish.

I'd be happy to have the Oculas without the 3D feature operational. Just be great to have the higher resolution and the OLED screen. I think it would be worth the $350 for that. I see it's in "Pre Order" status, but I couldn't find any clue to when it might actually ship. Did you see anything on that?

Regarding your comment "currently the Rift needs the image to be duplicated on each side of the screen and probably distorted a bit". What it needs is two separate feeds that are optically isolated (two cameras spaced like your eyes) or simulated that way in animation (for games). It's not as simple as digitally shifting one image if that's what you mean.

Lastly, I don't see how we're ever going going to have live 3D HD because of the limited RF bandwidth available to us. Then again, we've seen a lot of things we thought we'd never see. :)

...Tiger
  7. Jonas

Jonas Registered

The DK2 comes out in the beginning of July from what I've read.

Here's a tear down of the hardware of the first kit. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+Teardown/13682
    It's basically its on Screen that's divided up for each eye. Heres the actual part: http://www.panelook.com/HJ070IA-02F_Innolux_7.0_LCM_overview_18543.html

The new kit of course is moving to an OLED and will have less blurring. I guess they blank the screen to black between frames to help with the persistence.

The barrel distortion is to correct for the lenses in the Rift and allowing for lager FOV with less distortion. Heres an explanation of the Barrel distortion shader used for games and the Rift.
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Thanks! The teardown and some of the comments that followed were really interesting. I had assumed that they would use two separate screens, but using a single one and scanning it like two would no doubt be more economical. It's going to be really interesting to follow the progress of this project. I'm sure once this is in final form, lots of companies will come along with adapters for every imaginable application.

...Tiger
  9. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Hmm found another interesting concept, Gameface.
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/13/gameface-labs-hands-on-ces-2014/

Its basicly an 5" HD Android device in a Google form factor. Doing similar motion tracking but all self contained. Watching the video, what would rock would be something like this with a diversity receiver and a Tx Then see how the guy is using a Bluetooth PS3 controller ( it could be any blue tooth paired controller). What if we could just fly with that.... it would transmit locally to the head set and then it would Tx back to the craft.

Its not like our smartphones don't already have 2.4 and 5.8 ghz wifi radios already, so this think could boost the power and use an external antenna.

And since it has a Tegra4 and probably a T5 by the time is ships, it has the horse power to do all the shader stuff to pep the image for the lens for full POV without distortion.

Nice clean and wireless. Of course not sure if there is any concerns having a Tx Strapped to your head :)
  10. Jonas

Jonas Registered

11. GPS

GPS Registered

12. chaseloc101

chaseloc101 Registered

Haha so I just watch that l8nked video on my phone. I put it up to my eyes as if I where wearing the goggles. Soon as my eyes were tricked I almost felt like I was there. Lol. You know that little tickle you get down there when your like in free fall. Totally got the tickle. ... lol