1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New RC LRS Repeater

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Pelagic Pilot, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Well, this is interesting, actually it's cool, and I want one. Basically it is a crossband repeater for your RC transmitter. The first image pretty much sums it up. But I can see a LOT of potential bad usage for this, I won't detail here what could be done, but this is a very serious, industrial capable device that could give a range of FPV flying like the world has never seen.

http://fpvlongrange.com/fpv-repeater-system/
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Now that is awesome!  Tell me we can't get one of those on a tower in our area.  I am in if you want to partner on doing this.
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Ha, well, I am not sure what we would do with one on a tower here. If this was on a tower site near GP and only used the two watt Tx we would be able to launch a plane from the Redwood school and fly it to Eastern Medford. With a good antenna and 50 watt amp you could make it to at least Eugene if not Salem.

The other thing you would need is a repeater for the video, if the plane had 1.2 then you could re-broadcast the signal on 5.8 down to your ground station (which would be the couch in your house)
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't think flying up to Eugene or Salem are necessary at this time, but all around Grants Pass would be seriously fun.

Do I presume correctly that one person would only be able to use this at a time?  What if a second person tried to use it while one was already flying?  Are there safe guards against that happening?
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Bump.

I was hoping some folks would be interested in pursuing this.
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I am a bit busy for a few days, but have a planned new topic to post when I can. It will help with this topic, but is another idea.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

Sounds intriguing.  I look forward to hearing what you're up to.

Any input on this?
  8. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Any input on this?
    [/quote]

This works the same as any other RC system, it's just that they are connected as a system. You have your Tx (such as a DX8), then on the repeater you will have a Spektrum Rx (like Ar8000), then the output from the Rx connects to the repeater box, and the other side of the repeater box connects to a LRS UHF Tx radio which transmits up to the plane.

In the diagram it shows how you can have two radio Tx units being used at once. This example would be for two DX6i radios to send signals to a 12 channel rx in the plane. the first six channels from radio one for flying, the other 6 for a camera PTZ setup.

So to summerize, in order for this system to work you need at least one Tx, one native Rx to bind to, one repeater box, one uhf LRS Tx, one uhf LRS Rx.
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

So if you wanted to use this system with more than one model you would need a receiver per model at the repeater?  Are you implying that two receivers are the maximum the repeater can handle?
  10. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Uh, the repeater part is a pass through device. Since most LRS are between 8 and 12 channels then it can pass this many on the input side up to the output side. But on the output you can only bind to one Rx. So you can only control one Rx on the UHF side. So you can only fly one plane at a time.