1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New project

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by bozzoreed89@gmail.com, Aug 19, 2013.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

My AX10 has never been outside. We use it to crawl over pillows, sofas and custom built indoor courses made from wire shelving and blankets. Treacherous stuff. ;)
  2. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

bozzoreed89@gmail.com Registered

Lol sounds pretty treacherous so I went and picked up pound of weight today thinking 5oz each front tire and 4oz for each of the rear tires doesn't sound like to much does it
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

You got me there. I really don't know how the crawler guys figure our how much weight to run. It's funny because in most of the other racing disciplines they are always trying to reduce rotational mass. I know crawlers want a really low center of gravity but when is it too much weight? Maybe one of the other guys can answer this one for you.
  4. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

Its too much weight when your motor starts to struggle to push your tires. I usually dont put very much usually i run none. Makes it more challenging. But its got for on rocks when the front axle comes of the ground the suspension slowly goes down and the wheel come in contact with the ground again.
  5. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

I really wasn't wanting to put any weight but every time I get on incline my front wheels pull up and it rolls backwards so I gotta do something bout that lol
  6. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

well ok let me tell you a little something about scalers! if you can avoid adding weight to the wheels and add it to the chassis some how because adding weight to your wheels adds more strane on ur drive train!! and it also makes it alot harder for the motor to get wheels speed when you need to try to gas her and bump over something!! i always add weight by hot gluing it ti the steering servo and the back side of the battery holder! Just my thoughts and expirance!!
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

There are also knuckle weights available from some companies that will help get weight low and not add to the rolling weight that the motor has to turn.
  8. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

I will definetly look into those as for putting strain in my drive train I think it should be ok I got steel drive shafts, Robinson racing gears in the tranny, and gears in axles claim to be hardened steel the only thing I'd be worried bout messing up would be spur still haven't upgraded it
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

I may be mistaken, but I think what Knightrider was also meaning is the performance aspect. If the motor has to spin extra weight with the wheel and tire it will be slower. For slow crawling this probably isn't important, but I saw a video where the guy had to make a short hop across a gap between two rocks just to get the front tires across to get some grip and pull the rear end over. A maneuver like that would be tougher if the rotating mass is too high for the drivetrain.

Mounting the weight on the chassis low, or on the non-rotating knuckle would not affect the acceleration as much as weight inside the tire or on the wheel.

I just remembered that somewhere I saw a guy who had filled his axle housing with lead shot because he didn't want the weight visible and still be low. First he assembled it with a tube where the actual axle would go so the bb shot would not rub on the rotating axle and he glued the shot in place. This would be easy to do if you didn't mind wasting a set of axle housings in case you ever wanted to change back later on.
    I can see a guy who really wants to have as accurate as possible scale looks doing this because you cannot see the weight inside the axle housing whereas you will be able to see knuckle weights through the wheel and if you spend good money on accurate scale wheels that might not be appealing.
  10. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

NowI understand bout strain on drivetrain lol so I'm having issue when I turn my wheels are hitting my shocks and they do not make adjustable offset for the rims I got I was wondering if any of you new where to get some extended 12mm hex hubs I don't want to use wheel wideners
  11. HeadHoncho

HeadHoncho Registered

You can get wheel hexs that extend your width pretty far and thatmight solve your problem. I think theres another way but im not sure.
  12. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

13. GPS

GPS Registered

I think those should help you solve your clearance issue. Integy makes a lot of cool stuff but you might look around a little more and see if you can find some other manufacturers to compare with because sometimes Integy's products are pot metal and not machined which can make them brittle. I don't think you would break those in your link but threads for the set screws could be an issue.
  14. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

I've heard a lot of bad news about integy myself I did find these
    http://bit.ly/1eSVpJ7
    They look like they might work also really can't find anything else if that sort without getting actuall wheel wideners and I all ready have set and don't like them they mak my wheels quite wobbly looking
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

Those look better but it doesn't mention the brand. Maybe he makes them himself?
  16. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

I'm not for sure if he makes himself but they do looks lot better than the integy pieces I was looking at just wish I could find some closer than china lol
  17. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

yes thats what i ment about the strain on the drive train GPS! Also i had the same problem with one of my crawlers and just by buying some thicker hex like the links above i was able to solve that problem!
  18. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

Right in I was hoping to fix with just new hexes knight rider do u know where to get them locally
  19. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

Here's a few pics of it in action

Attached Files:

GPS likes this.
  20. GPS

GPS Registered

Nice. Your photos are getting better too.