1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New project

Discussion in 'Crawlers' started by bozzoreed89@gmail.com, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

bozzoreed89@gmail.com Registered

So my esc and motor showed up today hoping it'll be able to trail next week some time just waiting on few last parts to start showing up

Attached Files:

2. GPS

GPS Registered

Did that capacitor come with the ESC, or was it extra?
  3. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

It came with esc as bonus through rpp wasn't really expecting it but super glad it came with it
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

That was nice and could come in handy. Have you installed them? Curious to hear how you like this setup.
  5. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

Not quite yet I'm still waiting on some connectors few screws and drive shafts should be up and running hopefully by Friday I will definetly let u know how it works what's nice is it also has brushless option and esc has like five different modes so it can be used for more than crawling
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Cool. I'm interested in hearing what you think about the Eiger ESC because it can do brushed and brushless and seems smaller than the Goat 3S that I have in my AX10. Have you ever considered doing any brushless setups for crawling?
  7. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

It is a very compact esc which is nice not really ever considered any brushless options from what I hear is that you can't get a brushless motor wet that's why I've stuck to brushed love to play in the water like I'm five years old still lol
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

I searched YouTube and found plenty of videos of brushless motors working completely submerged here is a example:

Many of the underwater ROV guys seem to prefer brushless. In a way is makes sense because there are no brushes to wear out or short from contamination. It would be easy to seal the windings in epoxy to make the brushless motor even more water resistant even though it isn't necessary. I have a Novak hand dipped stator for my 550 short course motor which was a option part directly from them.

I know many crawler guys like their brushed motors and there could very well be some benefits in some situations. I built my AX10 with a Novak Goat 3S (running 2S though) and a 21.5T Ballistic brushless Novak motor (click here to see it) and I am really happy with it but I also don't compete and it's never been in the dirt so I am not in a position to judge. On the other hand I've noticed more and more crawlers getting built with brushless systems so there must be a reason.
  9. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

That is quite nice to know bout brushless I've been under assumption that you could not get them wet how does your ballistic motor handle is it torquey?
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

It's hard for me to judge the torque of my Novak Ballistic motor in the AX10 because the other crawlers we have are both Losi's with worm drives. One is a Losi Night Crawler that is brushed and the other is a Losi Comp Crawler with a Novak Crawler ESC system with a 18.5T brushless Crawler motor. I don't think it's fair to compare the torque of these systems due to the different drive methods. I can tell you that the Losi Comp Crawler had enough torque to snap one of the steel drives after getting a wheel wrapped in a pillow climbing over the sofa. ;)

BTW, both my AX10 and Losi Comp Crawler with Novak brushless setups are running in sensored mode which I am a big believer in for surface models.

I should also mention that I am biased towards brushless systems because of their lower maintenance and longer life expectancy so take that into consideration about my opinions here.

I have a Axial XR10 brand new in the box that I've been putting off building because I've been wanting to also do that in brushless so it would need two ESCs and motors, one on each axle. Since the XR10 has so little room I've been keeping my eyes out for smaller ESCs than the Novak Goat and your Eiger might fit the bill. I've seen Highlandcrawler and some other crawler guys take ESCs apart and fit them into really tight places but I don't know if I want to go to that extreme.
  11. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

hey boz so what im thinking is that you thought brushless motors weren't waterproof because the sensored brushless motors arent but all otheres are!so i think that might of where you got confused at!
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

Good point about the sensors in the motors I didn't mention that at all and the sensors are likely not waterproof. The example in the video is also a outrunner motor though inrunners should also be fine.

I have seen several crawlers running outrunner motors and it's possible that they may deliver more torque that the crawler folks look for.
  13. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

Very nice Ty guys for the input I just got into Rc bout a year ago so all this is kinda new to me but love the hobby lol will definetly have to look in to some brushless setup for my next build I'm thinking bout doin ifs 2 speed wrexo
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

Thank you too. I'm looking forward to seeing your next steps in your build.
  15. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

So at this pint in the build I'm just waiting on drive shafts I have just been mocking everything up as I go to make sure everything was gonna fit so I'm thinking this weekend I'm gonna tear apart and greas everything and run wires. I will post some pics as I do it get some pics of the inside of the axles and what not
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

Doing the layout and figuring out where everything can go on a crawler is a big part of the build. Crawlers aren't like most RC trucks where everything more or less has a place. Making a scaler is even more work if you want to conceal all the electronics.
  17. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

Your telling me when it's done hopefully the only electronics noticeable will be battery so will see ill get some pics up tomorrow
  18. knightrider81

knightrider81 Registered

and heres a video to waterproof a sensored brushless motor!
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

Good find. I didn't think you could dip those sensors without insulating the contact pins. Very good to know.
  20. bozzoreed89@gmail.com

So here's a few pics with the electronics all in still waiting on cooling fan though when the body is on shouldn't see any wires except for esc battery wire and I'm gonna put some heat shrink on to hide a lil better ill post some more pics when I get body on gotta trim interior lil more for battery to fit

Attached Files:

GPS likes this.