1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

MQ-9 Reaper FPV Project

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Golden Child, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Exactly my thinking PP. I remember you talking about the limitations of the IR sensors. As I'll be at the controls and flying within LOS, I'm not too worried about attitude stability. I am more interested in its overall package of OSD, and GPS waypoint navigation in addition to its autopilot capabilities. It also has the ability to set three-dimensional waypoints, which is the main selling point for me with all the mountains in our area ;)

I'm also already looking for a larger, possibly gas (not nitro) powered airframe. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. GPBill

GPBill Registered

How large a plane you thinking of GC?
    Do you think vibration might be an issue with an ICE?
  3. Golden Child

My future plans are for an LRS system for my radio to get longer flight distances. So I'm looking for a "lofty" airframe in the 1.6-2.6 meter WS range. Vibration is certainly a concern, hence "possibly gas". The airframe would have to be large enough to absorb the vibrations ;) Was primarily thinking gas for longer flights vs. batteries, but would obviously prefer electric power for less vibration and less MESS! I have several planes in mind already, just looking for other ideas from other minds ;) This next FPV project will be next winter's major build so no rush.
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

The vibration would help to knock the ice off the wings when he is flying at such altitudes............
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Do you mean a Castle Creations ICE ESC?
  6. Golden Child

ICE stands for Internal Combustion Engine y'all ;)
  7. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

My son loves external combustion engines. Would like to see someone figure out how to get them light enough to fly.
  8. GPBill

GPBill Registered

ICE, sorry fellas, I was to lazy to type it all out.  ;)

How about your SIG Kadet Senior? It should be pretty easy to handle and capable of hauling a pretty good load.
    Are you thinking the Reaper isn't going to be up to the task?
  9. Golden Child

OOH, excellent thinking!!! My mindset was on a new airframe and I hadn't even considered my Senior! Definitely a great candidate! With an ultralight, trainer-style airframe, it will be very stable and have a huge payload capacity! Great thinking Bill! +1 to you ;)

The Reaper is just too small. With its thin wings it just wouldn't be able to handle all the extras I'm wanting to throw on it.
  10. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Hey GC I just did a Google on your SIG Kadet Senior and I like it, nice looking aircraft, nice clean looking lines.
    The one I looked at had blue see-through Monokote which I also liked. Have any pics of yours ??

RE: Vibration - The vibes are to be considered and extra steps should be taken with respect to the electronic especially if there's a GYRO w/ any hardware that runs Piezoelectric Stabilization such as the HobbyKing Controller Board or any such variant. That said I don't think vibration per say is a concern for any GPS electronics outside of the normal concerns you would have with any electronics as the vibrations if in the extrema can literally break them. However that changes if a GPS/GYRO/Stabilization Controller is in one neat little package as most are, then there's the need for some form of vibration control. As for mounting a GYRO and/or Piezoelectric there are plenty of examples to follow (time to Google) as many do RUN them quite successfully in their ICE {hehe} powered machines. Usually and in a general sense it can be as simple as doubling up on the "foam" mounts of varying densities and/or in most cases they also need a "Dead" mass such as a sheet of steel and/or aluminum sandwiched between the foam. Often the manufacture will have some recommendations if not then Google ... Harmonic Vibrations or Resonant Waves are the worst ...
  11. Golden Child

Here are a few...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  12. GPBill

GPBill Registered

That is very similar to my Telemaster 40, even a little larger I think. The Telemaster will haul quite a load, camera and a bomb bay full of hard candy all at once and it does not struggle with the extra weight.
    Very nice looking plane, your Sig.  ;)
    No slimmer installed so it's all ready for an electric motor.  ;D
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

Hey Mike, did you do that clear blue covering yourself?  The whole color scheme looks terrific.  Great job!
  14. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Is that wood inside? Does not look like it would wreck very well......Now if all the internal stuff was machined out of Delrin.....Hmmmmm  ::)
  15. Golden Child

**GPBill - This is bigger than the Telemaster 40. It has an 80.5" WS and can take a .46-.91 nitro engine with a .52-.60 being the recommendation. I'm going to put my Powerup-46 electric from HeadsupRC into it and see how it does. Yeah, not going to have any problems with payload capacity ;)

**GPS - Had some help with the covering, still a noob with these higher-end kits ;) I did build the main wing more for sport flying than as the trainer this model is designed to be. I took most of the dihedral out of the wing, and squared-off the ends rather than building them with the flared ends as designed. I also, obviously, built it with the ailerons at almost full-length for better control.

**PP - Now why did you have to go and mention "wreck"! (lol) I am going to get the electronics into it and maiden it as is. Once its dialed-in, I'm going to convert it to a tail-dragger and build some larger landing gear all around. My plan is to mount a GoPro under the airframe between the main gear with some down-angle to hopefully avoid seeing the prop in the picture :D  Yup, no "wreck" in my plans (fingers crossed...) 8)
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

Any idea when you will maiden it?
  17. Golden Child

Well, I was really hoping to give it a go this weekend, but time is not on my side. Today started at 3am, and I am just getting home :( Tomorrow looks about the same :'( I have several "projects" that all still need some amount of finishing and work just seems to keep getting more and more busy! At this point, I really can't say for sure.