1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Miss Budweiser Hydro !!!!!

Discussion in 'Power Boats' started by Golden Child, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

So I gots me a new toy...

[​IMG]
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Congratulations, that's a great looking boat!  That is what I would get if I got into boats.  I saw one called "Miss Elam" from Pro Boat that I always liked.
    I hope you post a build/repair thread when you tackle that model.
  3. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Santa was here early?  ;D
    What powers this new toy. It looks pretty similar to the one GPS linked to that has a water cooled gas engine.
  4. Golden Child

It is also made by Pro Boat, but is the 1/12 scale. It is currently powered by a water-cooled .15 nitro engine that will be replaced by a brushless motor/ESC combo over the winter  :D It also needs some fiberglass work, but that won't be a problem (done LOTS of that on my full-scale drag boats!). Traded my Duratrax EXT for it.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Is that silver opening in the back metal?  It looks like a large exhaust duct but I see a silver cone sticking out the back also.  What is that?
  6. Golden Child

The silver opening out the back is a fiberglass scale exhaust for the real jeat turbine engine. The smaller silver cone coming out of it is the actual exhaut for the .15 nitro engine.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

Is this the boat JROCK2.0 was working on?  What is happening?
  8. Golden Child

Yes! This is the one I asked JROCK to check out and tune for me. I know NOTHING about nitro and he's the man! I had no idea of the engine's condition and no way of determining whether is was a runner or not. And according to him its a beast :eek: Now that I know its condition, I'll get all the nitro paraphernalia I need and fix the fiberglass booboo's and she'll be ready for the nicer weather ahead 8) Yes, for now, its going to stay nitro. I'll see how much fun she is before dropping another $250-$300 for the brushless conversion :D
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Where will you run this boat?  Do we have any places here in Grants Pass?
  10. GPBill

GPBill Registered

If you fellas are as wet down there as we are up here, you would have to go no further than the sidewalk.  :eek:
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

LOL.  You're right Bill, if our lawn was bigger Golden Child could run it at our place.  ;D
  12. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    hehe, do those Rc Hydro-Planes CRASH Spectacular like their full size counterparts [​IMG]
    If NOT maybe a little TNT to preserve the SCALE look during a crash !?!

Joking aside no question she's a GOOD looking boat
  13. Golden Child

Well I picked up my hydro from JROCK last night and I have to say he IS the man! I wanted to know if the engine was a runner. He pulled the engine, did a complete rebuild, reinstalled it and it is a little screamer! He fired it up for me and it lit in just a couple pulls and settled down quickly into a smooth idle! I can't wait for some good weather so I can take this thing down to the water 8)
  14. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    hehe guess I should have looked closer, certainly SHOULD have read the thread and NOT only looked at the picture  :-[

Didn't realize she was NIRO powered thought she wuz electric ...

I don't know and must be me but nothing says it better than a FUEL burner over WATER ;)
    {LOL} certainly to say these days ain't all that "politically" correct eh ...
  15. JROCK

JROCK Registered

glad i could help... ;)
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

?
  17. Golden Child

Once all this rain stops and the river slows down again, there is a real slow spot right across the street on the Applegate that should be ideal. its wide enough for plenty of full-speed runs, and shallow enough that I can wade out in the middle should something go awry and I need to capture it before it heads out to Gold Beach :eek:
    I also can take it out to Copeland's slough. We at the boat shop are good friends and have even run some of our full-size boats out there for testing. And then there's always Lake Selmac, and Lippet Reservoir out at Pacifica Gardens, or Werner Reservoir out in Merlin. Really no end to the possibilities...
  18. Golden Child

OK, so I finally got off my butt and got the Miss Budweiser all repaired and water-ready! I found this really cool two part /epoxy/putty made specifically for marine repair applications on fiberglass and plastic (perfect!). It's JB Weld's Water Weld. It was only a few bucks at Walmart, and I have to say, it works GREAT!! You knead it together and apply to the areas to be filled/repaired and it sets up in 15-25 minutes and becomes sand-able in about an hour. Much easier to sand than fiberglass cloth/resin by the way ;) Anyway, here are a few pics...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  19. Golden Child

So after doing the repairs and getting all the radio gear setup, you know I just had to go down to the river and try her out! I had picked up some nitro fuel and a nitro starter kit a while back in anticipation of this day so I was all set.

THIS LITTLE GEM IS A REAL SCREAMER!!!! Super fast and handles like it's on rails! I did have a few moments of hesitation as the prop is so aggressive that is cavitates almost immediately. It took a lot of finesse to get it up to speed without the prop loosing it's bite in the water. Once I got that down though, it was pure adrenaline-fueled fun!

All this aside though, I am still not a fan of nitro. Guess I'm just too used to my toys being quiet and plug-in ready. Sooooo, it's up for sale. Check the For Sale listings if you're interested.

Mike
  20. GPS

GPS Registered

I would have liked to see that run.  Great looking boat.