1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

MILD TO WILD HOBBY HOUSE IS CLOSING!!!!!

Discussion in 'News' started by Golden Child, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Was just in talking with John and he said Dennis is closing the shop in two weeks :( :( :( John will be in there the rest of this week, then Dennis will be there all next week, then he is closing the shop for good!
  2. pile of toys

pile of toys Registered

sad-
    how are they clearing inventory?
    ---------------G.P. needs an R.C. shop-I hope you guys get an indoor track.----------------------
  3. smitty

smitty Registered

First Bargain Bin burns, now Mild to Wild is closing.
    We're going to need more swap meets for sure!
  4. Golden Child

John wasn't sure what Dennis' plans for their inventory was. I'll find out more later this week.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

It's a shame if they close.  Grants Pass has lost a lot of small businesses in the last couple years.
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

I just spoke to Dennis, the owner of Mild To Wild Hobby House here in Grants Pass this afternoon (November 11th, 2011) and he told me that he has decided to give the hobby shop another "College Go" and see if things can turn around.

I think I speak for all, or most of us at least, that we wish them the best of luck and would like to support them any way we can.
  7. Golden Child

That's GREAT news!!!!! Wish I had known that before I spent so much money in Medford today :( Well, he's getting all my business for as long as he can keep the doors open ;D
  8. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

I may come across depressing or a downer for saying this, but Dennis has said many times over the last many years that "going to be closing soon"  And it never happens.  If he could learn to be competitive in pricing his items he would have a great shot at it, but charging full MSO price for a 2.4ghz Revo ($732) is like shooting yourself in the foot.  He never carries any parts other than some traxxas and hpi stuff in stock, so my theory is if I need it now and have to pay I go to G and B and get sand in my crack or I wait two whole days and order it online.
  9. smitty

smitty Registered

Typical for brick and mortar operations is to maximize profit margin. They have to pay the rent.
    Unfortunately, some fail to see the benefit of a loss leader to get people into the store.
    It's been said they can't compete on price with the online stores. I say you can advertise the lowest prices in town (the world) as long as you don't deliver. For example HK, very low prices but most of their so called inventory in on back order.

I tried to encourage our LHS to start an online site and got the "we can't compete".
    When in fact they could. Just takes effort and planning.

I would really like to support local business, but my experiences have not all been positive.
    They usually have the minor stuff in stock, however if I need anything special it takes a week (2 weeks in some cases) for them to get it in stock so I can buy it at full MSRP. :'(

I really hope MtoW hangs in there. I have visited their web site. I found it to be less than user friendly.