1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for first RC

Discussion in 'Off Road' started by oregon outback, Aug 5, 2018.

1. oregon outback

oregon outback Registered

Hello everyone,

I am wanting a 4x4 electric RC and I think I have narrowed it down to 2. Team Associated Pro SC 4x4 and the Traxxas Slash 4x4. Both have got great reviews from what I see, but it seems like the Associated is more durable. Doesn't look like parts are as available as on the Traxxas but I am looking for durability since im sure I will be crashing it a lot getting used to it. Do any of you have opinions on this? Price range is about $400 bucks so im looking to stay in that ballpark. What are some suggestions? What spare parts would be best to have on hand and battery pack ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mike
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Mike,

Those are both good RC models and you would enjoy either of them. If you are looking to compete the Team Associated is probably the better choice and if you just want to have fun the Traxxas products are an excellent choice although people do also race those.

You might consider another truck on your short list - the Proline Pro-MT 4x4:

https://www.prolineracing.com/kits/pro-mt4x4.asp

This one is lists a little more than the others but can be had in your budget if you shop around like here:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...ster-truck-prebuilt-roller-pro4005-00/p707973

You would need to get your own motor, ESC and radio gear though so that might be a deal breaker.

Proline makes a lot of the aftermarket parts that people add to both the Team Associated and Traxxas Slash and in recent years has gotten into whole kits.

Does your stepson have a truck already, and if so what is it? You might want to get the same thing so you can keep you spare parts compatible especially if you are a ways away from a local hobby shop.

~ GPS (John)
  3. oregon outback

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. He has a Red Cat If I remember correctly. He is wanting another one and both he and I have been searching the different brands. I was thinking that also about having same brands for parts purposes. I have not seen the proline yet but will be looking at them tonite. Since I have never had one and am going to be learning as I go, im not leaning toward anything "race ready" but I am looking for durability since I will probably be wrecking it a lot as I learn to drive one. It would be nice with something I can upgrade later on though especially if I truly enjoy it...who knows I may want to join a club and try out racing! I appreciate all your helpful info! Thank you so much. Im sure I will be asking many more questions so bare with me :) Have a great night.

Mike
  4. oregon outback

One thing I was thinking about...I am leaning towards a 4x4 but mainly I will be driving in dirt, not much pavement. From what I have researched, on dirt the 2wd models slide around a lot whereas the 4x4 has a lot more traction on the dirt. I want to make sure I enjoy what I get and for the terrain I will be driving would you agree that a 4x4 would be my best option?
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Mike,

I would definitely get a 4x4. They handle much better and don't slide around as much and will be great on dirt and also pavement.

I agree with you on getting something durable as a priority. Nothing ruins your weekend fun plans more than a broken part on your model. Sooner or later you will break something though and looking for more durable spares is worth looking into also. The company RPM RC Products ( http://www.rpmrcproducts.com ) makes very good third party spares. They have a special plastic compound that is often more durable than stock parts. We use their A-arms on many of our trucks as replacements as we break them. You will see that they make replacement parts for many of the top RC brands.

On our Traxxas Summit we broke the plastic driveshafts so we swapped them for MIP steel ones ( https://www.miponline.com ) which are pretty tough.

I think you are on the right path by getting something fun and durable first. If you find out you are enjoying it and want to join a club and get into competitions you will most likely want another model for that purpose. At that point you should talk to the folks in your club about what they are running so you can compete in the same classes as them.

~ John
  6. oregon outback

7. oregon outback

Hey John,

I have noticed that upgrade parts are hard to find for associated, especially the pro sc4x4. There are tons for the slash 4x4 though. I’m not too worried about the fancy aluminum in special colors just some durable aftermarket parts. Associated has minimal parts on their site and after contacting them they don’t know when to even expect shipment of any.

As much as I like the pro sc model I am really leaning towards the traxxas mainly because of the parts aspect. Still doing some thinking on it. Any ideas on place that may sell aftermarket parts for the pro sc 4x4?

Thanks for the pointers,

Mike
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Mike,

What parts were you looking for, was it something specific? Usually the manufacturers own websites are MSRP prices so I think a lot of folks buy from any of the online hobby stores such as A Main Hobbies ( https://www.amainhobbies.com ), RC Planet ( https://www.rcplanet.com ) and I used to get a bunch of things from A Main Hobbies and Tower Hobbies ( https://www.towerhobbies.com ) but they were bought out by A Main Hobbies ( I believe ).

If you want a local hobby shop Al's Cycle and Hobby in Medford used to carry a lot of both Traxxas and Associated parts, but I have not been there in ages so I can't say what they carry nowadays.

We re-started the RC hobby with Team Associated 1:18 scale on-road cars which it seems they don't make anymore. Then we got Traxxas stuff and now I think we have a little of a few other manufacturers. The Slash 4x4 with the VXL brushless system is really a nice truck and I think you will enjoy it. When you break things look to the companies I mentioned earlier like RPM for reasonably priced aftermarket plastic parts and if you find you are breaking outdrives look to get either the Traxxas own metal ones or MIP which I also previously linked. The MIP stuff will cost more but is quite durable. Sometimes after you break the same part 2 or 4 times you will wish you just got the heavier duty part. However all of the original manufacturer parts will hold up pretty well with normal amounts of abuse. We found we broke A-arms when we would hit a curb at speed while racing up and down the street. I guess we learned the reversed steering of the cars when coming towards us the hard way.

~ John
  9. oregon outback

John,

I think I am going to go with the Traxxas slash 4x4. I am going to call the shop up in Bend this weekend and see if they do price matching. I found a deal for $499.90 that comes with charger and battery. Best deal I have found so far. If they match the price I will take a drive up there and pick it up, if not I will have to order it online. I would rather visit a local shop and support them if they can price match. I think I will really like that car also. It gets great reviews and I haven't heard anything negative on their customer service. Parts are easily found and aftermarket parts are everywhere! Ill keep you posted. Thanks for all your input.

Mike
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi Mike,

Good choice. I think you will really enjoy the Traxxas Slash 4x4 also. Let us know when you get it, and post some pics of your new RC!

~ John