1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

LIPO on Brushed plane?

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by Pelagic Pilot, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I have been looking at planes, I like the Multiplex Easy Star, lot's of people use them for FPV. The RR (Rx Ready) version is only $76.00 and I have a good 6 channel Rx sitting here for use wih the DX6i. But I want to recycle as much as I can, the FPV guys really load these planes up so I know the airframe can handle it, but can I use my 3s 2200 Heli batteries on this plane? It looks like it is a brushed motor, I don't know if that even matters or not? It comes with NIMH batteries. I plan to have the GoPro I just ordered  ;D hooked to the video Tx and run both the plane and the FPV stuff off my helicopter batteries so I don't have to buy more stuff.

Thanks.
  2. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

as long as the motor and esc can handle the 12.6 volts from your lipos, and the esc is lipo compatible (low voltage cutoff), then you should be ok. I'm not familiar with the easystar, but I know its a good fpv platform. Batteries are just voltage, the only real issue is the low voltage cutoff to keep from damaging the lipos :) I'm not saying I know it all, but that's my understanding of it ;)
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Cool, thanks. From what I know DC volts is DC volts and didn't think it mattered. But I didn't want the thing to catch on fire when I hooked the battery up  :eek:

I doubt it has the low voltage stuff for the LIPO, but that is actually a plus for me, I can either monitor the voltage via an OSD and land when it is time, or bench test it at a higher throttle setting to find out the time it's takes to run the batteries down in a worse case situation, then set my transmitter timer to that. But the reason for no shut off is that if I get caught somewhere and need some power to get back I would rather run the battery dead and ruin it ($8.00 Turnigy) than lose the plane on I5 somewhere.
  4. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I have a brushed plane I run on a Lipo.  I'm not worried about landing on Hwy5 so I installed a GWS brushed controller with Lipo cutoffs.  Got it at Mild To Wild for $12.  Because the Lipo voltage was higher than the NMH voltage was, I just limited the throttle throw in my transmitter to 80% so as not to burn up the motor.  I agree that "volts are volts", but what you're really talking about here is "power".  You want to limit the total "power dissipation" in the motor.  Within reason, the voltage you use to achieve the equivalent power dissipation doesn't really matter.

...Tiger
  5. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Great thought on limiting the throttle Tiger :) That brings me back to my first issue: can your motor and esc handle the 12.6 volts... what voltage is it setup for now? If all else fails you can always try this...

Attached Files:

6. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Shouldn't need a Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) if we FLY by the "80% Rule", time your flights ...
    [size=0.3em].[/size]
    ... The LVC if available should be used for the a last line of defense per say ... Flying the 80% rule will also give you plenty of time to land. If flying the LVC you pretty much have to land right away, they really don't leave much time for landing. Especially if set for 3v per Cell, I set my cutoff at 3.2v per Cell which gives me a wee bit more time for landings and is a bit better for the LiPo.
    [size=0.3em].[/size]
    Regardless I generally time my flights, better for me, better for my Heli, better for my LiPo ;)
        [size=1.1em][shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow]

[/size]