1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Infinity Hobby: Ultra Large Size Quadcopter

Discussion in 'News' started by GPS, May 26, 2013.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

Read more and see photos via the source link.

Source:
    http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=1146
  2. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Yep, it's big! But who in their right mind would fly that thing (Tyson)? Also, there is no margin for error. One crash = cubic $$ in broken parts. Pretty much guaranteed that every blade will break - that's 16 325mm heli blades. Not to mention the very thin-walled aluminum tubes on each arm that are so ridiculously long that there is no chance they won't bend in a crash, much less lifting a heavy payload which it seems is what they are trying to market this thing for. I think for shear size it is the biggest I've seen, and actually looks pretty cool with that large diameter pancake motors and 4-blade heli rotor heads. But... no chance I would try putting that thing into the air :-\
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Ha, yep, I would give it a try. I see no reason for a 4 bladed head, so I am not sure why they started with that. Looking forward to a video of it.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I agree, four 325 blades per motor seems a tad overkill.  When I first saw the photos of the motors I thought they were able to vary the pitch of the main bladed, but I don't see a mechanism to do that.  Do you think the blade pitch is fixed?
  5. Golden Child

Yep, fixed-pitch. You'd need a hollow shaft motor and a pitch mechanism which is not visible in any of the pics for a variable-pitch setup.
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

And I wonder what the KV of the motors are, at 6S you would need a .1KV to be at 2400 RPM at 24V?
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't know what the KV is on that motor, but it sure is big.  It looks like the biggest diameter RC motor I've ever seen.  Do you think they chose 6S to get longer flight times?
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    I like the ability to lift a heavy load and have toyed with the idea of building a large heavy lift QUAD myself.
    ... But after seeing that I think it's maybe too big for what I want or would like to see in a large RTF QUAD !?!

Maybe, a somewhat smaller QUAD using the blades from a smaller helicopter?
    ... From a 200 perhaps or the rotor and blades from a GAUI like my Hurricane 266

Also I like the idea of using a helicopter's main rotor but used it in a fixed-pitch configuration.
    ... This way we could dial in the amount of pitch thus dial in more or less pitch depending on the amount of payload

(+1) I would also like to see a VID of this monster's flight ...

PS: To speculate
    ... Given their to goal make a heavy lift QUAD maybe that was behind the decision to go with a 4-blade rotor.
    ... Maybe they thought the wing-loading would be too great for a 2-blade rotor ...

Only my 2¢ ;)
        [acronym=EYE See! To w00d's Photo Musings, my pages][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym] the O·pin·ion·at·ed {LMAO}
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

You may be right, I don't know much about multi-bladed heads.  What I do know is even with the cheapest wood blades at $10 per pair you're looking at $80 bucks of potential damage just for starters.  I think Mike summed it up best: "cubic $$ in broken parts".    :)
  10. Golden Child

w00d, the use of 4-blade rotor heads is almost certainly for the purpose of heavy load lifting. As you stated, the wing loading would be much less.
    John/Tyson, no way to know the Kv for sure but the pancake motors they are using are designed for torque, not speed so the Kv will likely be in the low to mid 100's, hence the need for 6s to get the rotor heads to the desired speed. Only the battery's capacity (MaH) can determine the flight time John. The number of cells sets the voltage and thus the speed at which the motors spin.

For my money, I would connect two car batteries together in series for the (close to) same voltage and have flight times measured in double-digit hours, not minutes ;D
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

I like the idea of flying for multiple hours but doing it with electric motors is/has been prohibitive.  I think car batteries weigh about 20 pounds each so I'm guessing we're looking at about 40 pounds for two.  This is without any airframe or motors and electronics, etc..  If the goal is heavy lift we still need to have a payload so let's say the payload is another 20 pounds, what is this machine looking like.  The heavy lift Align 700 video that tyson showed has 700 mm blades stock and he managed to lift 30 pounds, although I don't know if that helicopter could really "Fly" with that amount of weight.

I think you start to get into a different FAA category when your RC model gets above 25 pounds don't you?

I kind of pulled the 20 pound number out of the air.  For me the payload that is most interesting is a high quality video/still camera with a good lens.  Possibly a remote capability to use the zoom on the lens.  How much does a good Canon DSLR with a decent wide angle lens weigh?  That would probably be the upper payload limit that I would be interested in since all the action cameras like GoPro weigh much less and I presume that those new 4 thirds cameras like the Sony Nex3, Nex5 and Nex7 also would weigh less than a full Canon DSLR with good glass.
  12. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    FYI: Look at any retailer and the cameras product page,
    ... Look at the Detailed Specifications and they will list the weights
    ... Also true for lenses  ;) True for 'anything' theses days as might be needed to calculate shipping costs

A typical DSLR Body weight is around 760g,
    ... usually lighter for amateur cameras (plastic), pro-cameras (all metal) will be somewhat heavier ...

Lenses can be ALL over the map (obviously)
    ... e.g: A typical DSLR Zoom (28-300mm) lens, around 800g.
    ... But I think this would be a poor example as it's more on the heavy side. 28-200mm would be more typical, just saying
    ... Also Primes tend to be lighter than Zooms