1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

indoor track in gp

Discussion in 'Racing and Bashing' started by Bartljuice, Sep 29, 2011.

?

vote for the one that best dicribes your thoughts on the track

1. I would defenatly come race & practice

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. I might come race & practice acosionaly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would only come to practice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I dont think i would use the facility at all

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Hey Adam, I've voted yes to practice and racing. I agree with Means2k that a club would help not only in finance areas such as membership, but could also help with organization, fund raising and activities to include/invite the community to come out and watch/participate/etc. - bringing in yet more revenue. I already handle much of this for my flying club, but would like to see local RC grow in ALL areas. I can offer my help and support for any ideas you have and will lend you a hand anytime you need. And as was said before... if you build it, they will come.
  2. Golden Child

BTW, how much is that used E-Revo in your window? :D
  3. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

The track dementions are 24x60 with 6 foot lanes. From what I've seen of other indoor tracks 6 foot lains seemed to be an average width. I would love to have 8 or 10 foot lanes but that just wasn't feasible in the space provided. I would also love to do a indoor dirt track but most property owners won't let you fill there building with dirt.  It's great to get so much feed back and I am glad to see everyone so interested in the facility.  I have thought about starting a club and having the track non profit but wasn't to sure how to go about doing that and making it lagit.  I have also wanted to do an indoor crawler corse from day one and that is still on the board. We will also defiantly have to look into a wheelchair accessible dnd. O and the e-revo is new just dusty from sitting in the window but the boss has a roller in the back I can ask him about if your really interested golden child. ( o the e-revo is brushed and it's $505 for the new one)
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Here is a good place to start if you want to start a non-profit organization:
    http://www.filinginoregon.com/pages/business_registry/nonprofit.html

I know the club in White City is a legal non-profit and that there are certain legal aspects that must be met in Oregon, among them are a board of directors and tax filings.  You might want to read up on some of them via the above link so you get off to a good start.  I'm sure that if Sleadds is involved in any way they will want to assure they will not become liable for any issues that can arise such as taxes, property damage or personal injury occurring on the track.

This link is to the Non-Profit Oregon website and may answer some of your initial questions:
    http://www.nonprofitoregon.org/helpline_resources/tools_information/faqs/starting_a_nonprofit
    This website is linked to from the Oregon Secretary of State website at the top as a source of useful information.
  5. goldhellian89

goldhellian89 Registered

i have at least three people that are down for indoor racing
  6. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

Thanks for the info gps.  It sounds like u have to jump though a ton of hoops.  It might be easier to run it under the shop as far as insurance taxes and all that.  It's definitely a case were you can't have your cake and eat it to. I hope to get started on this soon and I think the maiden race will be free. Love the support guys, keep it coming. The more I have to show the boss the better.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

Did you look into starting a club further?  Let us know what's happening with your project.
  8. Golden Child

Ditto. VERY interested. Also willing to lend a hand if/where needed.
  9. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

Hay guys sorry for the delay I've been really busy.  As of right now I'm talking with the owner of the shop to see what he is willing to do as far as the rent gose and getting into the building.  I'm also going to have a talk with the owner the hobby shop tomorrow to show him the forums and go over pricing and the cost of materials.  I also looked into starting a club and it seems like a whole lot of trouble.  But I'm going to leave that door open incase the owner of the hobby shop can't do it, then we can see about doing it ourselves.  I'm just wery because I was a member of rvrc club last year and that was not a very good expeience ( way to much drama).  I just want it to be simple and have a very welcoming atmosphere.  I mite set up some work parties witch would involve free food and drinks in exchange for some labor and possibly some track testing as it gose together.  Love the input and keep it coming and hopfully more updates to come.
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

If the track is going to be a commercial business (charge for public use) at the very least you will probably need insurance.  I suppose Sleadds must have insurance so maybe you will be able to add the track to it.  Even if you run the track privately, like it was your home and you're having friends visit to race, you will really want to protect yourself with insurance.

On the other hand if you are renting a commercial building they probably will require you to have insurance at the very least for fire.  They may want to see a business license also.  Have you asked?

Do you own a home yourself?  I'm guessing no because otherwise you would know some of this stuff already.  And if you do own a home and are the operator of this business and someone gets hurt you could potentially lose your home without insurance coverage.

I was also a member of RVRC and they are certainly full of drama like you said, I've seen it first hand, but one thing they did right was their legal status and all that comes along with it, including insurance.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it sounds like you have not thought the details and consequences through on this endeavor.
  11. Bartljuice

Bartljuice Registered

Iv thought a lot about this hole thing and insurance was one of my concerns.  The idea is to run the track under the hobby shop and carry over the insuence to the track as well as the business license. This would make things a lot easier and we could get it going a hole lot faster.  I just didn't want to go through all the little details I only started this tread to see what kind of intrest the was and anwser any questions.  The input was still very helpful and gave me another rout to use if the sleadds fals through.  Iv even thought about going with roar but that is 35$ membership and every racer would have to pay that in order to race but that would cover insurance.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

It might be worth making a poll to see how many members of Southern Oregon RC are also ROAR members.  You might be able to accomplish two things by requiring racers at your track to be ROAR members:

- You may be able to lower the track insurance costs.
    - You may be able to charge less for your track usage since your costs of insurance may be lower.

It might be worth investigating further.
  13. Golden Child

Hey Adam, what's the latest?
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

The ROAR membership insurance only covers ROAR sanctioned races so my idea to require members to be ROAR members isn't very effective since anyone getting injured or property getting damaged during practice nights would not be covered.

Sorry I didn't read the fine print earlier.
  15. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Well after reading through the banter here I will include my two cents.  If you over complicate something it will never happen.  Our Pro series races are not ROAR sanctioned nor do we carry insurance.  Instead what we do is have EVERYONE sign a release of liability waiver which cost about $.02 a copy.  With as small as the group here is this is what I would do.  Again this is my whole two cents and I hope you can all stop worrying so much and just do it.