1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Help With Micro Four Thirds Cameras

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by GPS, Jun 4, 2012.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Re: I've always wondered if those "Review" websites get to keep the products they review

The simple and quick answer is nope they don't get to keep the review items

It's a question that gets asked frequently and most often asked by wannabe 'Reviewers' but those that do reviews have said the supplier and/or manufacturer will require they send the products back, they don't get to keep them. They went on to say if they do keep a review item they undermine their ability to do future reviews from the same supplier as they tend not to repeat their mistake by sending another

This said I get the impression that the suppliers don't aggressively pursue the return of review items, most work on the honor system. But like it was said it doesn't happen the second time and given how small the 'review community' the word soon goes out they can't be trusted

[hr]
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Bummer.  I wanted to "Review" a Audi R8.
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

My GoPro was actually for filming my review of the Bugatti and it's drifting ability. I didnt think they would want a car with worn out tires back.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Hmmm... Decisions decisions: New Bugatti tires or a full FPV multirotor with Sony Nex-7 and ezUHF on a Futaba ten channel?
  5. w00d

w00d Registered

Sup yoga Yoda, [​IMG] heheh

I came upon an easy to digest little read for us, something to keep in mind during the hunt for the next CAM. This is just another 'spec' we need to look at when sizing up a potential NEW buy. Yes 'Resolution' and 'Noise Levels' are VERY important but equally so is teh 'Dynamic Range' of any given sensor. This means in theory we could be looking at a camera with great 'Resolution' which also shows very little 'Noise' but that same camera would FAIL miserably if had relatively poor 'Dynamic Range' ...

Anyhowz here, Dynamic Range Optimization

QUOTE: "Over the past few years much effort has be put into trying to make digital camera image quality as good as if not better than that of film. Generally this has been concerned with resolution and noise levels, but another particular area where some effort has been spent, is in attempts to widen dynamic range"

"Having the camera decide automatically when scene highlights will be over-exposed and allow for it in this way, applying subsequent alterations to shadow areas to produce a balanced final image which needs no further alteration sounds good. The problem is in discovering how efficient each particular camera is at actually implementing this. For deciding at what level to carry out these alterations, by how much to under-expose the image, and at what level to raise the tones of the shadows to, is something that can be very subjective. Because a major side effect of under-exposure is that noise levels can rise, and become much more evident in darker tones if these are subsequently lightened. It needs a very deft touch to find the right balance between the two. But if it is proved to work satisfactorily then it is an advantage to have and to use"

If NOT then for our Searchers'n Lurkers ;) FYI:
          [acronym=EYE See! VOICE of the O.pin.ion.at.ed. LINK will take you to my PhotoBucket RSS Feed] [shadow=grey,left][size=0.9em]w[/size][size=1.2em]00[/size][size=0.9em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]

[hr]
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Thanks w00d -

Keep in mind w00d that my primary use case will be to get high quality video with approximately 135 degree lens as I find this gets the best viewing angle with the least amount of fisheye effect.  I will also expect the new camera to get better still photos than my current camera and also capable of macro photos s I can better shoot some of the details of my model builds.
  7. w00d

w00d Registered

Here's another I just finished reading from the same dude ...  Albeit it's about 'buying a used' and worth a read in itself but if applied to buying a new camera it also would work well ... maybe more so
    PS: Oh, although it's NOT within my nature to buy "used" it is nevertheless an option that can be a great source of camera and accessories. But the rule  of 'Caveat Emptor' is foremost and should be there to use above ALL other considerations ;)

FYI:

[hr]
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

[​IMG]  (Beta)

Yoda, I came upon a TOOL (html/java) you or anyone might FIND HANDY in their search for a NEW cam

The first link in the list is more for direct SIZE comparison but ALSO offers one the WEIGHT difference between two selected camera's ...
    ... where as the second link, links us to a second page that we would use for 'sensor' size comparison
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Digital Camera Size (and weight) Comparison
    [*]Sensor Size Comparison, "Remember it's not the amount but the quality of the 'pixels' that matter most"
    [/list]Click <HERE> for a complete description of what is offered or what the TOOL does

I wasn't sure if I should have created it's own thread or not, anyway HERE I put it if only for easy locating later!?!

As I learn it so do we ALL, LOL "So SAY we ALL" ... To USE as you WILL ...
          [acronym=EYE See! "w00d's Photo Musings" LINK to my BLOG] [shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]

[hr]
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

I really like the camera size tool w00d, thank you.  Did you notice they already have the Canon EOS M?

I know it's all about image quality in the end but I might sacrifice a little there for smaller size and weight.  Regardless of most of the available options most of these new cameras do more than what I already have so just about anything is going to be a big improvement.
  11. w00d

w00d Registered

"Did you notice they already have the Canon EOS M"
    ... No I hadn't noticed

[hr]
    Although I have noticed Sony is coming out with (or has come out with) a few new 'NEX' designs, apparently the biggest benefit will be the addition of WiFi ... hehe, looks as if Eye-Fi will be loosing their 'Mono-poly' of teh WiFi scene, yet another CAM manufacture offering WiFi within their camera line-up which IMO (but shared by many) is ALWAYS in our BEST interest

I also had a chance to look at some sample photos created with the Canon EOS M provided by Canon, both 'stills' and 'video' are stunning. The amount of detail they show is visually obvious ... Had me thinking "WOW" ... Sorry, I LOST their location, but they shouldn't be too hard to find  :-\

[hr]
    "I know it's all about image quality in the end but I might sacrifice a little there for smaller size and weight"
    ... I hear ya, just reminding when choosing your 'size' and 'weight' choose the camera the with the fewest pixels and larger sensor size. Get the Camera 'Body' which offer the largest sensor in the camera size and weight YOU want.

Also everything said and implied would be has true for 'stills' has it would for 'video' ...
    ... after all it's the SAME sensor doing all that wonderful and marvelous 'MAJIC' ...

LMAO, on a more personal note I have enough trouble taking one picture and can't imagine taking 24 to 30 of them at the same time  :eek:
    ... LOL, just kidding but you get the idea ...

[hr]
    Although the TRUTH be said, I shouldn't be encouraging NEW camera bodies as their 'depreciation' rate is nothing short of GRIM, it's even worse than the automobile market ... 12 to 18 months before becoming obsolete and at worst become worthless in the used markets, OUCH!

It's always BEST to invest in the BEST 'lenses' a particular manufacture has to offer
    ... Lenses is clearly the TRUE investment as their life-span is measured in decades

e.g: Take Nikon for an example but would be the same for Canon, a Nikon Lens created in 1960 WILL STILL WORK and often BETTER on their NEW bodies and can be better than an equally spec'ed LENS created in 2012. Nevertheless due to their 'optical' quality and higher manufacturing standards of the day they will NEVER loose their usefulness thus hardly depreciate

LOL, and as with the most outstanding lenses whereas this GLASS would often increase in value on the 'used' markets. This would also imply a truly SMART shopper and re-seller should never have to PAY for a lens and in some cases and depending on the lens CAN even MAKE a profit, need I say more!?!

Clearly the 'LENS' is the wiser investment thus "Invest in lenses and treat the body as disposable" ...
    ... hehe, 'bodies' should be treated much like those paper disposable film cameras ... Are those even still available?

LMAO, there I've gone and said too much, our secret is out  [​IMG]  NEED a GOOD laugh!?! Then read  < this >

[hr]
    PS: Wouldn't it be BETTER to "adjust the machine to the camera" as opposed to "adjusting the camera to the machine"  !?! ...
    ... Sorry BUT it's teh 'mechanic' and NOT the 'photographer' in me making me TALK this way ;)

[hr]
    FYI:
        [acronym=EYE See! "w00d's Photo Musings" LINK to my BLOG] [shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]

[hr]
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

13. w00d

w00d Registered

14. GPS

GPS Registered

The anti-aliasing filter removal is a hardware hack and although it does look good my guess is that that will not be the case in all situations.

The Magic Lantern hack is a software hack and does not make any permanent change to the camera's firmware (see the video above).  To me that is a win.  +1.
  15. w00d

w00d Registered

Just some reviews for ya Yoda ...

Sony NEX-5R, aimed at those looking for a wee bit more in a camera than a Point'n Shoot

See also:
    FYI:
        [acronym=EYE See! "w00d's Photo Musings" LINK to my BLOG][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

Thanks w00d.  I've been watching this also and it looks like a reasonable upgrade to the model.
  17. GPS

GPS Registered