1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Helicopter PHOTO Gallery and Discussion: Post Yours

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by w00d, Oct 17, 2011.

1. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Yeah, I've got it alright, I'll have it a lot better too, if I can keep it out of the dirt.  ;D
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

I hear you there!

Does the Naza-H documentation say anything about multirotor heads?
  3. GPBill

GPBill Registered

They must and I've thought about another one.  ;)

http://www.scalerchelis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14802&start=25
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Interesting from your link:

I did not know that, thanks.
  5. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I have read that anything over 3 blades does not need a flybar, so whether it has 3 or 10 blades it flys the same, as long as the phasing is set correctly. On a larger heli, many have been succesful on running a 2 bladed FBL with no electronics at all, like Bergen RC, but that's a 15 Lb heli.
  6. GPBill

GPBill Registered

That's what I understood also and had intended to fly this heli multi bladed and without a FBL controller. It didn't take many spool ups to find out it wasn't going to work for me on this heli.  :eek:
  7. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    hehe, in theory ya can fly any helicopter flybarless (LMAO-ROTF, spell checker gives 'fearlessness' for 'flybarless') without electronic stabilization but your mechanical and electronic (Tx) setup must be exact. Specifically or just a few is the phasing of multi-rotor birds and one will get more bang for your buck getting ALL the CG points exact along with your rotor setup. Also making it easier is a LOW CG and of course larger helicopters naturally fly more stable ... but again this is just a fraction of whats needed with the electronic (Tx) and mechanical setup which needs to be spot on per say. This is even ignoring teh pilot skill that's needed as this also needs to be more 'exact' but this goes without saying. But before the simple GYRO this is HOW setup and flying the heli MUST, was done! Electronic stabilization makes all this easier of course as it takes over or does this 'setup' on the fly and to a point modern electronics make the hobby of Rc Helicopters more accessible to the masses ... They even say in the documentation of most every Flybarless unit or system the closer or the more exact the setup the easier or less work mechanically the 3 axis gyro has to work. Meh in the end all that's really going on is peoples looser definition of what can't and can be done or at which end of the envelope we want to operate our helicopters at. Yes we can fly without 'electronics' but it's not as 'easy' has it's made to sound as we soon find with experience ... We also just have to look at Quads which operate at the pure electronic or fly-by wire end of the spectrum to the other end where pilot and setup skills are needed more to fly.

Anyhow to fly without electronic stabilization certainly requires MORE than what we can STUFF into a paragraph, agreed?
  8. GPBill

GPBill Registered

I have to chuckle at this because every time I get to talking helis at my LHS the owner goes into his "when I first started flying" stories. Yep, no gyros, ya had to know how to build and fly em.  ;D
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

LOL, true enough, even on the Forums when teh discussion comes up there will be an old timer chiming in with an old 'war' story or two [​IMG]

LMAO, "When I was a KID I had to walk to school because we didn't HAVE ..............................."
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

When I was a kid we had to walk five miles each way to school and back in the snow and it was uphill both ways.
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

Hey w00d look --> Audrey Hepburn is back!  Now she's doing Chocolate commercials.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFw8NjZF-Qk[/youtube]
  12. w00d

w00d Registered

I don't know ... maybe my thinking ... but, sorry I don't get it [​IMG]
  13. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Okay, back to the rebuild now.
    Here's a photo of the new paint scheme. It didn't turn out to poorly, the cracks are still visible up close but from where the photo was taken they are very hard to see. My sanding job kinda sucks too, some of the old paint lines show through when the light is just right.
    That was my first go with a liquid mask and am very impressed.
    I need to find some lettering and numbers to make her look a little more official. I also need to go back and find wOOd's post on how he aged his Huey. It looked pretty smart as I recall.
    I have about 2/3 of the little jar of Master Mask left over and am very unlikely to use before it goes bad. Any one starting a project is welcome to it for the cost of shipping.

[​IMG]
  14. w00d

w00d Registered

Hey, she looks pretty good from where I sit [​IMG]

Re: "w00d's post on how he aged his Huey"
    Ya need a 'Sharpie' magic marker, a damp RAG and some 95% Isopropyl Alcohol.
    ... 95% is best as it don't leave as much residue after it dries but either one or the other should work.

[​IMG]

LMAO, I tried looking for 'that' thread but then realized we would have difficulty finding it here.
    ... It was posted on that other 'Forum' ... The one before we moved over here, Southern Oregon ;)

[acronym=EYE See! To w00d's Photo Musings, my pages][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]
  15. GPBill

GPBill Registered

I spent a half hour yesterday searching and going back through old posts, no wonder I couldn't find it.  ::)

That's it though, just mark the lines at the doors etc. then wipe them off? 
  16. w00d

w00d Registered

Pretty much, yup ... draw the lines then wipe away to taste ;)
    ... Also allot of rubbing with a dry cloth will also add to the effect as it takes away or takes the 'NEW' out of the 'matte'

Generally I found it a matter of stopping or calling it quits when I have a look I was pleased with
    ... Imagine your trying to clean it but unsuccessfully, that's the look your after

More PICS

[​IMG] [​IMG]  <--- This pic was from that old posting, and shows the work before the 'dry' rub

[​IMG] <--- This show's the dry rubbing effect better than most, see how it adds a little shine, and less matte

[hr]
  17. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Only thing left to do is finish the fiddle work of installing the RX and gyro back into the fuse and tie some wiring down. The detail work I am going to practice on before I give it a try. There's some paint left over so I'll paint a little scrap of something and see if I can make it look as good as wOOd's work.  :) 
    I have some ideas for decals but could find nothing at the LHS like I wanted so I sent an email to Callie Graphics with what I think I wanted, to see what it would cost to have them made up. She made the Snoopy pilot for me that I have on my bipe.
    http://s620.beta.photobucket.com/user/GPBill/media/The%20Bipe/IMG_0738.jpg.html

[​IMG]
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

You are moving right along now Bill.  It's looking good.  Thank you for posting the photos.
  19. GPBill

GPBill Registered

It's time to take this bird out and see if it will fly again.  ;)
    She is all done but a little of wOOd's aging process and another decal or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. GPS

GPS Registered

I like the military paint better than I thought I would.  I liked the original more, but tis does look pretty cool.  Good job!

I think you need to do something with the main blades though, they don't look "Military".  Can carbon fiber main blades be painted?  If so, maybe a flat black would look pretty cool.