1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Helicopter Build: Scale Bell UH-1, Huey

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by w00d, Jan 18, 2012.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Moved this discussion out of the Heli Photo Gallery into it's own BUILD thread ...

The update: For a TEST I installed and setup w/ only the Scale Rotor ... Well she did
    LIFT and on a better day w/ a better Pilot she may even have flown! Now having enough
    lift she unfortunately flies too unstable as this head needs be treated as a Flybarless
    setup, simply put I NEED a 3-Axis GYRO ...

LMAO she almost crashed, just had ME a little Main-BLADE-Scrape getting back to Terra Firma

So what I'm going for now is re-install the stock head w/ it's Fly-Bar and FLY the
    UH-1 KIT with that until I can afford the electronic stabilization it should have had from
    the get go  :eek:

Yup I'm going to install the custom UH-1 Tail to also see what "that" if anything
    is taking away from the overall setup

[​IMG]

[shadow=Orange,left]w00d[/shadow] :eek:
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi w00d, Sounds like you've been busy.  I was going to PM you and see if you were OK.
    Progress!  I am looking forward to seeing your Huey fly, I really like that fuselage.  Sorry to hear about the blade strike.  I hope there wasn't too much damage.  I didn't think that head would need a flybarless setup but that might be just the ticket.  Any ideas on what flybarless system you'll use?
  3. GPBill

GPBill Registered

All right... now were talking.  ;)
    Good to hear you are getting her sorted out.  :)
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

I was just looking at flybarless systems today and found this:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPMAR7200BX

Looks like it does everything all in one, 7 channel Rx, 3 axis flybarless and tail rotor yaw control, that leaves two free channels for other stuff like controlling the water dropping tank  8) And it seems very affordable compared to buy everthing separate.
  5. GPBill

GPBill Registered

That is nice having the RX built into it. Makes the price pretty attractive too.  :)
  6. w00d

w00d Registered

Yup {LMAO} I was BUSY but just NOT the way ya think ... Let jus say "I'm fine NOW"  :eek: ??? :-[ :-\ [​IMG] Yup I'm OK ......................................

As to which stabilization setup?
    Going w/ the BeastX. Which is On-Sale at Horizon for just under $200 usd
    Remember it's the one nexgen is using for his GAUI X5

PS: Wasn't a "Blade Strike". I had said "scrape", a "Blade Scrape" the main point being there was NO visible or otherwise damage ;)
    hehe I can be VERY VERY Sneaky w/ my words
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

Is everything alright w00d?

I was wondering if you were going to choose BeastX.  The VBar is nice too but a little spendy.  I'm also not knowing what advantages the VBar has, if any, over the BeastX for all that money.
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

Yeah I'm fine now ... No worries here  ;D

As for my opinions with respect to a Vbar Electronics, if they WORK without issue then for me it boils down to PRICE ...

I know cheaper is NOT always the best but when ALL things are equal, I mean if the stabilization system has no added value with no extras and if it stabilizes as it should then it comes down to price ... "Added Value" is nice but if I'm paying for them I'd better be sure I would have need for them 

For the lack of a better way to say it price, reliability and a GOOD Review by our friend nexgen made the BeastX the obvious choice for me ...

Now without any sense of humor that has equal only found in the inner sanctum of the FBI:
    If ANYONE knows a cheaper, highly reviewed with the reliability I'm looking for then LET me know I'm listening ;)
    That said PP's Spektrum offering was pretty good ... More ??
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Pelagic Pilot was at the indoor fly-and-drive last night and we did chat about the Spektrum all-in-one unit.  It sounds to me like a lot of bang for the buck.  He told me it is a BeastX unit inside.  In my opinion besides a lower price, having less electronics to wire in a small helicopter might make it worth looking into.

BTW, Pelagic Pilot had his Blade 450 up and running and was able to fly it a couple times in the gym.  Rick also had his Tri-Copter there but unfortunately the control board wouldn't arm.  He has hooked up some really nice lights to the arms and can even dim them from the transmitter by using a brushed motor controller on a receiver channel.  How clever is that?
  10. w00d

w00d Registered

[​IMG]

Update
    :
    I think it's time to bring this thread out of 'mothballs' ... I'm putting my Scale, Bell UH1 (photo) back into the limelight.

The reason for the BUMP is because I'm buying a NEW used 'Mini V-Bar v5.00' compliments of 'Mick Jagger' which I will be buying at the end of this month. NOW I've made a POST it's certain I will have to BUY it  :eek: LOL, J/K but I wouldn't SAY from who unless they we're OK w/ my saying? LOL, ya didn't believe 'Jagger' sold it to me, did ya!?! Anyway my absence from ALL the wonders of RC Helicopters is OVER, well sorta as I was always able to FLY. I just didn't have the CASH for anything NEW. I couldn't even afford a new LiPo, NO new Toys for Woo ...

My RC Drought is officially OVER, w00t  ;D and for today only, this is actually a little bit of a celebration as I just received some GREAT SnailMail this morning ... So what's NEXT, maybe a Scale Flying CAT, Ummmmm, I wonder ...

As this is supposed to be my 'UH1 Build' thread, then LET the BUILD continue!

Wish me Luck
          [acronym=EYE See! To w00d's Photo Musings, my pages][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Cool, glad to hear it W00D, love the Huey, yeah there are better Helicopters out there these days, but just like a guy loves a classic 1968 Chevy Camero, I love a 1968 Helicopter  :D
  12. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Oh man...  That is really sweet!  Where did you get that body wOOd?  I would love to have something like that.

...Tiger
  13. w00d

w00d Registered

Hi Guys ... FYI:

The Huey scale body was manufactured by HeliArtist (UH1, Model: HA450UH1001).

The Scale Rotor Head was also made By HeliArtist (Product Page) but I can't seem to find it on their website !?!
      This is a retailers (UK) link for the Scale Rotor ---> Head Model: HAUH1450SH
            Photo of the ---> UH1 Scale Rotor Head <---

UPDATE: GREAT News, I don't have to wait until the end of the month for my Mini V-Bar,
          'Jagger' LOL, informed me he will be shipping today [​IMG]
              So it's NOW time to dust off the Scale Body and strip my darling Trex 450, to get them ready for the installation 8)

[acronym=EYE See! To w00d's Photo Musings, my pages][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]

[hr]
    EDIT: Retailer where I bought my Scale Huey was HeliDirect (Home)
    [hr]
    I feel the same for my War Birds, if it was flown during WW2 then I would have to have it ... hehe, metaphorically speaking  ;)

[hr]
  14. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Ya know wOOd, folks are going to want to see a video of this heli hovering around the house before to long.  :)
  15. w00d

w00d Registered

haha, you said it Bro ... But I've said it before and will say it again  !!! MY VIDS SUK !!!
    ... Nevertheless, like the immortal Tom Dooley when he hangs HIS head low ...

I'll do my best [​IMG] LMAO
  16. w00d

w00d Registered

The mail arrived Friday ...

[​IMG]
  17. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Hey, that looks familiar.  ;D
  18. w00d

w00d Registered

hehe, you bet Mick ;)
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

hehe, you bet Mick ;)
    [/quote]

Aha!
  20. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Okay wOOd, you must have a little progress to report by now.