1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Gopro

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by LEM504, May 13, 2014.

1. LEM504

LEM504 Registered

Does anyone out there know the difference between the Go pro Cameras?
    They released the White, Silver, and Black,
    About the time they hit the stores - New version - now we have the plus versions.
    Bugs in the first versions, or did they improve something we don't need?
    Go Pro seems to avoid the subject.

Costco has a good buy on the Black, but I wonder if they are just dumping a bad version?
    Seems there was news release, about a bad mistake somewhere in there.
    Marketing problem, or bad products?

Sale price on dead turkey ????
  2. N485TG

N485TG Registered

3. Jonas

Jonas Registered

4. N485TG

N485TG Registered

I keep thinking O lets get a black but then again im ok with my Hero at 1080
  5. LEM504

LEM504 Registered

Thanks for the replies.
    It does appear to be a bit better, in several things, but not enough for my use, to upgrade.
    No doubt, there will be a major break through shortly. I will stick with what I have until then.

At this time I have both a Hero 2 and the Black 3. Both have positives and share some of the negatives.
    Number one, I don’t care for the fish eye, so both are set for medium angle. Sound quality is of no interest, so I would rather block or turn it off.
    I find myself using the Hero 2 more often than the Black, probably because I don’t want to risk the more expensive one.

Not unhappy with video quality from either. I refuse to fly either without the case. Have replaced the outer lens on the Hero 2 once and will no doubt damage another.
    I see they have a protective lens for the Black and have ordered a couple. Might work up enough courage to fly the Black with the cover lens, out of the case.

Have tried the Wi-fi on both, and wrote it off.
    Number one. It eats battery faster than the camera. Then there is the time delay in transmission. Might be OK for stationary use, but not flying.
    Turn it on by accident, or forget to turn it off - dead camera.

The key chain remote will never be used if you have a cell phone.

The Wi-fi delay was a bit of a mystery. I made no tests in the field, but around the house, both cameras varied with the delay.
    Could have been related to battery condition, or just other 2.4 Wi-fi floating around.

I see their range tests were quite short, and noticed they were holding a 2.4 radio. Too much 2.4???
    The delay was less with the Black.

I suspect the added battery life, is nothing more than a bigger battery.
    I bought battery back packs for both cameras.
    Spare batteries, or remote power is a better idea. Of course the cameras take different batteries.

It would be nice to see the Black Plus, packaged without the remote.
    If I need to replace one of my cameras, I will take a closer look at the Silver plus.

Larry
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Keep in mind if you buy a GoPro Hero 3/3+ Black Edition you will not be able to view the output on it's high quality settings unless you have a reasonably newer and powerful computer with commensurate graphic board.

I've helped several people with their GPH3 Black Editions that thought their camera was broken because their computer couldn't playback the video without skipping or not playing at all. The solution in each case was to turn down the recording quality to standard HD which kind of defeats the purpose of paying the extra $100 for the Black Edition.
    If you don't have a relatively new computer or are not planning to update your computer and video card you can save yourself some money and get the GoPro Silver Edition.
  7. N485TG

N485TG Registered

True didnt think about the 4k and how some people might not be able to play it back due to there computer not being as good as it should be to play it back -- GOOD point out
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Actually I was not talking about the 4K aspect of the GPH3 Black Edition. In fact many computers cannot playback the 1080P high frame rate output of this camera, not to mention the Protune settings.