1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Smarter Every Day

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by Tiger, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Tiger

Tiger Registered

This is a series on helicopter physics that started on Hack-A-Day today.  Read the text and then watch the videos in the order they are presented.  It gets better as it goes on.

http://hackaday.com/2012/04/20/model-helicopter-physics/#more-71811

...Tiger
  2. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Yes they do.
    Thanks for sharing the link Tiger. I've just found out I never really understood how cyclic pitch works.  ???
  3. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Yes there are allot of these types of tutorials around the net but very few that are good and can can keep one interested ...

Good find Tiger
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Pretty cool, now if someone would explain ballooning vs pitching? Ballooning is described as something that happened to early FBL rotor systems (thus the reason for confusion for me). Because I thought ballooning was Effective Translational Lift occuring with wind, but FBL or Flybar would experience it just the same. I thought pitching was retreating blade stall, because as we learned here when the blades stall on the side of the heli, when it tries to roll right/left (depending on rotation direction), gyroscopic precession will cause the front to pitch up (flare) lose airspeed, blades are no longer stalled, recovery occurs and off you go wondering what happened. But???