1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

GAUI 500X

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by GPS, Feb 27, 2012.

1. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Cool, my head was swimming with all the great suggestions you were getting for controllers. 
    I had one for you too but with all you had to look at I took mercy on ya. Actually, it was just an on off switch controlled by the TX from Hansen Hobbies.
    Have you had a chance to do a little night flying with them yet?
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

Please do post the Hansen Hobbies controller so I can look at it.  I always intended to get the GAUI LED kit, the reason for the other switches is to control some heavier duty LEDs or flashlights to use as headlights/searchlights.  I want these to be on/off switchable from a receiver channel.

I have flown it outside at night but just in front of the house.  These throw quite a bit of light and do make it easy to see the quad.  I'm afraid my eyes are the weak link here and at eye level it is possible to not be able to see the quad's far side LEDs.  I have not made any video flying at night yet but I intend to this weekend if the weather stays as nice as it's been here.  We had close to 70 degrees yesterday!
    BTW, when I did fly it outside the first time I was using the fastest LED flashing because I had not yet figured out how to switch the flash rate.  Cars slowed down a lot passing by and curtains opened on the surrounding homes.
  3. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Here is the Hansen Hobbies link:  http://www.hansenhobbies.com/

...Tiger
  4. GPBill

GPBill Registered

It was about 60 here yesterday and downright balmy.  :)

Tiger beat me to it, but these were what I had in mind. Maybe to lite for what you are trying to do.
    http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/onboardacc/ers/
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Thank you both for the links. I like this one:
    http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/onboardacc/ers/nersv2/

But I am leaning towards this one Pelagic Pilot suggested:
    http://www.dimensionengineering.com/picoswitch.htm

If I understand them both correctly, the Hansen Hobbies part uses the power from the receiver but the Dimension Engineering part is just a switch so would be a direct replacement for a flashlight on/off switch and separate power source.

I wanted to mention earlier that the actual LEDs on the GAUI G-222180 lighting kit I installed are actually three small LEDs on a tiny substrate per pod so there are twelve LEDs in total.
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

I repositioned the ContourHD camera on the airframe to try and get the right front propeller out of the field of view. The video below is a test flight at dusk on Spalding. This was the most wind I've flown the GAUI-500X in and I took advantage of the wind to try a couple gyro gain changes. I ended up back at 60%. It was looking pretty good with 70% but the landings were causing more compensation hop.

I wanted to also make some video of the new LED lights from the ground but I forgot my tripod so I will try and shoot another video this weekend.

7. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Was that last night? I must have just missed you, I was there later when the wind was really kicking up, had some really good flights but then headed over to Elmer's for dinner. Looks like you have the bugs worked out on that camera, no Jello effect, clear view ahead and really clear on 720.

We will see how the weather is today, I might go back later if not too cloudy.
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Yes it was last night, we were there until 6:30 PM.  That's funny, we went to eat right afterwards also.  Too bad we missed you I would have liked to see you fly also.

Today we are going to Harbeck to run some on-road cars but I will pack the quad up and carry it along so if the weather holds we will also fly at Spalding afterwards.  Some of the guys were talking about going to B Street so if the sun shines I might lie to try shooting some video of them running over there.

The Harbeck running is around 12:30 ish in case you are free and want to come out.
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

10. GPS

GPS Registered

Flying yesterday with Pelagic Pilot at Spalding. I had a near crash, you'll recognize it.

11. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Great video John! And great recovery at the end! Thanks for sharing :) Too bad you didn't get a shot of Tyson out there with you, would have been neat to see you each filming the other 8)
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

Great idea Mike, it didn't occur to me at the time.  Tyson goes a lot higher than I do but maybe we can figure something out next time.
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

Tyson, Is this the DJI controller you were mentioning yesterday?

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/djinaza-multirotor-controller-p-399.html

It is called the DJI Naza and it looks like it is specifically for quad and hex copters. It also has the camera stabilization. I was reading the specs and it says it does have accelerometers, but not if the gyros are piezo or MEMS.
  14. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Good save John.  ;)
    I'll bet you were puckering a little.  ;D

I'll second that.

What was your flying site in the past. It appears to be and old industrial site of some kind?
  15. Golden Child

The site is the old Spalding Plywood Mill in southeast Grants Pass. Its a great place for low-key flying and even RC cars too! They've got a couple small ponds also for setting-up boats :D
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

Oh yeah.  I was sure I was going in.  The save wasn't skill by any means, more like a reflex and a lot of luck.
  17. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

The save was based on good experience, as it was going in he reconized that it was in position upright enough that a stab at the throttle was going to work, and it did. Even kept flying for a bit afterwards.

The WKM is the industrial version with all the options. I think they had them on sale a few months back is where I got the price. Right now it looks like they are $1,200.00 the Naza looks really good and affordable. But no GPS it looks like?
  18. GPBill

GPBill Registered

I think reflex is what finally takes over after we've been flying for awhile, you really don't think about the actions needed, they just happen. That must be skill.  ;)

Is this the place you fellas are flying at?

[​IMG]
  19. Golden Child

Yep, you've got it Bill. The area is pretty much right in the middle of your pic.
  20. GPBill

GPBill Registered

From John's videos it does look like a good place to fly, I had to google it after you said where it was.  ;)
    Lots of open hard surface for planks too.