1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaui 500x Quad; new toy, fly with LP5DSM?

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by Derek A. Brown, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Derek A. Brown

Derek A. Brown Registered

I just won this Gaui 500x on ebay but don't know a lot about it except for some brief research I did before bidding. It does not come with a transmitter, so I was wondering if I will be able to use the E-Flite LP5DSM 2.4 gHZ that came with my Blade SR.
    I pretty stinkin' excited about this fella. Here's the link: I won this Gaui 500x
    If you know much about this model, feel free to share. =)

-Derek, Next Level RC
  2. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

It has a Frsky Rx in it, so either a new rx or new tx will be needed.
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

4. Derek A. Brown

I'm a bit confused now. I found this Turnigy transmitter with a FrSky DJT. What the heck is a DJT? Is this tx basically only needed if I'm doing video? Will any tx with FASST technology bind with the included FrSky TFR6 rx? It looks like the cheaper route would be to just get one of these guys (EFLH1036) or this Spektrum AR6110e; would one of these put me in the air?
    I'd like to order whatever is needed asap so that it may arrive around the same time as the Gaui. Thanks for all the help so far.

-Derek, Next Level RC
  5. Derek A. Brown

How about this Futaba T6J? Would it bind to the FrSky TFR6 rx?

-Derek, Next Level RC
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't know any of those radios you mention so I can't help you there. If you are planning on getting into multirotors in a big way like FPV or aerial video, and have some money to spend, I would look at the Futaba 8FG (or higher). I am using Spektrum (DX7SE) and can do everything I need to right now. If you need to watch your budget I would look for a Spektrum DX6i, DX7 or DX8. I would lean more towards the DX7 or DX8 though due to the programming capabilities, screen layout and channel quantity. You can get a lot of inexpensive receivers that will work with each of those radios. Original Futaba receivers typically cost twice as much as Spektrum receivers so if you are planning on owning many models you might consider that also.
  7. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

There are more choices out there than there are fast food restaurants. You could use your Tx if you just buy a spectrum Rx and bind up. The eBay one you listed with the djt mod is a good setup. And would cover you for everything you need. The djt module is a two way radio with telemetry and rssi which is nice. I am looking at the Taranis radio for myself.
  8. Derek A. Brown

Well, it looks like the most economical option right now will probably be the Spektrum AR6110e receiver. And I'll just keep my eye out for a nice Spektrum Transmitter to take over duties. Thanks for all the help guys,

-Derek, Next Level RC
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

I think that is a good choice. You can always spend more if you find out you like flying multirotors. Be warned...you will!
  10. Derek A. Brown

I have a Spektrum AR6200 Receiver on the way (with connected satellite receiver). It seems like this ought to work just fine with my E-Flite LP5DSM transmitter . . . right? And with the satellite helping share the receiving duties I should get better range for when I do go FPV with the set up. These are my hopes anyway.

-Derek, Next Level RC
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

The satellite won't help you get more range. It will help you maintain a good signal when the GAUI 500x get into different orientations in respect to your transmitter position. Usually the satellite is installed in a different orientation to the antenna on the receiver itself. For example if your receiver in mounted flat and the antenna is in the horizontal axis you mount the satellite in a vertical orientation.

Regarding range, without FPV almost any of the 2.4 Ghz radio systems on the market will probably have more range than you can see your model with your naked eyes.
  12. Derek A. Brown

Thanks for explaining all of that for me. That makes a lot of sense. I'm excited! I'm using a week of vacation time October 5th through 11th, so I'm really hoping for some nice weather to give the Gaui a try. Slow and easy.
    And just to verify; that AR6200 will do the job with my LP5DSM, right?
    I will definitely take some pictures!

-Derek, Next Level RC
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

14. Derek A. Brown

Cool, thanks. Luckily I have the manual for my Blade SR. I'm not positive if I have the manual for my CX2 . . but it's not very stock anyway :cool:

-Derek, Next Level RC
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

Post some photos when you start working on your GAUI 500x so we can check it out.
  16. Derek A. Brown

Will do! I usually have a few projects going. I'll try and make a habit of posting more pics of stuff.

-Derek Next Level RC
  17. GPS

GPS Registered

Cool. You should also start a thread for your hopped up CX2. I've owned a couple of those and wouldn't mind checking out what you've done.
  18. Derek A. Brown

I just got a shipment of fresh inventory full of Rakon Heli and Microheli goodies, so I imagine that I'll be doing a little bit of work on a few of my helis in the next couple weeks. The hardest part about having a cool inventory is seeing all that cool stuff sitting there and thinking how cool it would look on my helis! :)

-Derek, Next Level RC
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

LOL. I think we've all been there except for maybe having a store full of inventory tempting us. I think most of us get that feeling going into a local hobby shop or even online shops.
  20. Derek A. Brown

I got a bunch of CX2 stuff in the shipment too, but I think that my CX2 already has most of those upgrades done . . . I will be putting some parts on my mSR X and mCP X though. I can't help myself
    -Derek, Next Level RC