1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

FYI: SPARTAN Vortex VX1 - Flybarless

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by w00d, Jan 21, 2013.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Being a SPARTAN Fanboy, almost all my helicopters use their GYROS so I was pleased to see Spartan now offering a Flybarless setup [​IMG]

[acronym=EYE See! To w00d's Photo Musings, my pages][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]

[​IMG]

Vortex VX1 Key features:
    • Designed for all helicopters; from the smallest electric to the largest nitro
    • Market leading tail hold and pirouetting consistency
    • Small and lightweight
    • Separate sensor eases receiver/servo wiring and improves vibration immunity
    • Compatible with all digital tail servos (760us, 960us and 1520us)
    • Compatible with digital and analog swash servos
    • Compatible with standard pulse, PPM, SBUS and 1 or 2 satellite receivers
    • Built in governor with Nitro and Electric* modes
    • Superior balanced ring MEMS sensor technology
    • Easy configuration and field adjustments via the Spartan DataPod. You can deploy a new system in minutes
    • Firmware upgradable
    • Four configuration memories that can be selected in-flight for different flying styles. They can be mapped to Normal, Idle1, Idle2 & Hold or as the user requires

Also See:

[​IMG]

Spartan AP-2000i Advanced Flight Stabilizer:

Designed particularly for the needs of aerial photography helicopters, the AP-2000i is one of the most precise stabilisation products available today. At its heart there are three distinct devices all housed in the same package. Each of these can be individually enabled or disabled depending on the user requirements.

Advanced Flight Stabiliser
    The AP-2000i was designed for fast model recovery and yet smooth hover with particular attention to the needs of aerial photography applications. The stabiliser makes use of an infrared horizon sensors that must be purchased separately. [See here]

Digital Cyclic Ring
    Pioneered by Spartan RC the Digital Cyclic Ring technology eliminates swashplate binding at extreme diagonal stick deflections without restricting cyclic stick movement like its mechanical counterpart.

CCPM Mixer
    The built in CCPM mixer is designed for achieving optimum mechanical geometry with particular attention to the special requirements of scale multi-blade helicopters. It offers rotor phasing adjustment and individual servo endpoints, reversing and digital centre-point trims for all four servos.

Key features:
    • Works with all PCM, PPM/FM and Spread Spectrum receivers and supports both digital and conventional servos.
    • Hardware based 1800 position servo pulse sampling and regeneration for super smooth and jitter free movements.
    • Enables the use of piezo gyros on cyclic for stabilising multi-bladed helicopters.
    • Precision electronic rotor phasing adjustment allows setting up multi-bladed helicopters with ease.
    • Easy configuration of all parameters via a simple LCD user interface.
    • Separately purchased USB interface allows reprogramming the unit with new firmware releases available from our website.

GPS Registered

You know what w00d?  These products are pretty expensive and when you compare them to a Naza-H with GPS I will say the Naza-H wins, in my humble opinion, hands down.  I can imagine that all the helicopter gyro and "flybarless" controllers will take a hit in the market from the Naza-H because it does everything they do and so much more with the GPS option.

The AP-2000i seems a lot like Pelagic Pilots' Co-Pilot system with the sensors.  Certainly he would be in a better position to compare them than I am though.
  3. w00d

w00d Registered

Personally I have no real interest in any form of electronic 'stabilization' outside of my Huey needing it. And I only posted the second because it's relatively new for Spartan. As for the 'Vortex' there also I don't plan on building a 'flybarless' heli either. Anyhow yes 'Spartan' are expensive but no more than any other high end electronics as they are well respected in the community and are solid performers. Having flown their GYROS so if I could use them as an example I can't see Spartan's newest offering being anything less than well made, easy to setup whilst being a sold performer. Only what people have come to expect from Spartan.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

I have several gyros and after flying the Naza-M on my quad and hexacopter I am excited to hear how the Naza-H works for Bill.  I sure wish they had this technology when I started to learn to fly helicopters.
  5. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

A lot have tried the cheap auto leveling, but seems like they have issues, the NAZA-H sure has promise so I hope it all works out, but we have some time before summer then I will see what to buy next  ::)
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

I am still hopin that DJI will create a new firmware for the Naza series that can do waypoints.
  7. GPBill

GPBill Registered

That may be asking a lot at the price point of the NAZA-H, I hope I'm wrong but I'll bet we'll be lucky to get RTH.
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

True, but my guess is the Nazas are capable.  Here is a potential scenario: Another maker comes out with an inexpensive board, perhaps the OpenPilot Revolution, or the KK3, which do include waypoints.  Suddenly DJI develops new firmware making the Nazas waypoint capable.
  9. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Could happen, but that would make their other products that sell for much more look a lot less attractive.
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

Their other more expensive products wouldn't sell anyway if a competitor comes out with sub $200 flight controllers with waypoints.  However the DJI higher end flight controllers offer additional value for integration into airframes that the sub $200 stuff does not.  One important aspect are the "Ground Control Station" software packages.  This is where the cheap stuff really leaves one wanting.
  11. w00d

w00d Registered

Sure might only need to MOD the 'Firmware' for 'Waypoints' !?!
    ... But manufacture are pretty good at squeezing the BEST out of their products
    ... Not much in the way of 'resources' would be wasted!
    ... Might be they also NEED to increase the available ROM/RAM to accommodate the NEW function !?!
    ... If so this would certainly increase the COST ...

Teh Devils Advocate
        [acronym=EYE See! To w00d's Photo Musings, my pages][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

Possibly, but how much memory do they need for waypoints in the firmware?  How much memory is there now?  I see projects like Ardupilot doing it and there products are cheaper than a Naza.  Besides, memory is one of the least expensive parts of any computer nowadays, it is almost literally dirt sand cheap.  ;)
  13. w00d

w00d Registered

Memory sure is cheap when your engineering and designing ...
    ... But when those marketing and advertising thugs get their hand's on the stuff it sure ain't cheap then!  [​IMG]  LOL