1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying at night must be easier than flying during the day

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by Tiger, May 26, 2014.

1. Tiger

Tiger Registered

That's the only way to explain this!

...Tiger

2. GPS

GPS Registered

It's all fun until someone gets hurt. That was some close proximity to people. These kind of guys are the ones needing FAA scrutiny.
  3. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

That is Tareq Alsaadi, he has been described as being Superhuman when at the controls of an RC Heli.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

All that credibility goes out the window when he smacks someone. plus he is just a reckless schmuck for flying in that manner that close to people.
    Seriously, these guys are way more dangerous that any multi rotor flyer.
  5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Where are all these "people" you are talking about? I see a pilot and a guy with a camera who is standing next to him. I don't remember seeing anyone else in the killing field. There is also no question that this is a highly skilled pilot. Almost all the multirotor pilots I know are totally dependent on technology to keep them in the air. They are definitely not good pilots and don't begin to understand the hardware they are so dependent on. I think there are getting to be more dangerous multirotor users than not. This is probably because people like DJI have targeted users that have never flown anything before. They'd like you to believe things like the Phantom are just an appliance (which it will never be). I think I'd rather stand with (well... maybe behind) this heli guy than to be walking down the street with some quad over my head whose pilot can't even see it (or me)! I'm not saying this helicopter couldn't kill you in an instant, but at least it's in highly skilled hands and those same hands know everything there is to know about the machine. A lot of multirotor users really scare me and I know it's just a matter of time until something really bad is going to happen.

...Tiger
    w00d likes this.
  6. GPS

GPS Registered

Two persons are people aren't they? I re-read my post to see where I implied a crowd and couldn't find that. But come on, this fool is flying 3D on a sidewalk somewhere with cars passing by and who knows what else.
    At any "Official" (I use the term loosely) event 3D helicopter pilots, and even fixed wing for that matter, are ahead of a fly line and the spectators are some distance away. The pilots also may not fly behind a front line.

I agree that there are probably a lot more untrained multi rotor pilots flying around because until recently (Heli-Command, Naza-H, etc.) flying a RC helicopter was damned hard to learn and many people give up long before they ever start trying 3D stuff. There is also so much more to fail on a RC helicopter compared to a multirotor.

Having said that, so far the only deaths have been from these RC helicopters.
    w00d likes this.
  7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Well... All I know is this is my new copter and I'm only going to fly it on AMA certified sidewalks in the middle of the night. :)

upload_2014-5-27_23-36-44.gif
    ...Tiger
    w00d likes this.
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Aren't all sidewalks AMA approved?:) You're right though, who cares, we should all fly when and where we want.
  9. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Was just on the DJI site. This is what I was talking about. Do you see any "pilots" in this picture? Yikes! We're all going to die. :)

...Tiger

upload_2014-5-30_15-27-40.png
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

LOL! I'm gonna wear a helmet from now on!

I think that Chinese guy is DJI himself teaching some white kids to fly.
  11. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

If anything will be the death of the hobby it will be multirotor/phantom type that does it. Some videos were discovered of people flying those in TFR areas during the fires in CA, filming helicopters getting water. A woman has reported being molested by one in her yard, a friend of mine was in Florida a while back, she wrote me to tell me how she was drinking tea on her porch and a FPV hexa saw her and came down to look at her. She did not like it.
  12. GPS

GPS Registered

I agree that the average joe with one of these will cause problems. There are creeps that peek into peoples windows too and there long exist laws about that so we don't need "drone" laws about something that is already illegal. It doesn't matter if you peek into a window with a ladder or a drone, you're peeking and it's wrong.
  13. Tiger

Tiger Registered

"a friend of mine was in Florida a while back, she wrote me to tell me how she was drinking tea on her porch and a FPV hexa saw her and came down to look at her."

Shotgun time!

...Tiger
  14. GPS

GPS Registered

I thought that was Colorado. Or was it Pennsylvania? Oh right, it was both... Oh heck, it's all the states. Nevermind. ;)
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

How about these guys:

16. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Oops! ...Tiger
  17. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

RC aircraft is so easy to fly these days, you don't have to know anything at all to start using them.
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

That drone looked familiar. Remember this:

http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?threads/drone-mounted-led-rig-to-light-a-night-shoot.4915/

That was a very expensive crash - $65,000 for the drone+gimbal alone not to mention whatever camera was onboard. Check out this link to the drone manufacturer...very cool, but spendy:

http://www.intuitiveaerial.com