1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Power Filter

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by N485TG, Apr 30, 2014.

1. N485TG

N485TG Registered

Has anyone ever used a L-C Filter before on there FPV stuff to know if it works or not, or is it a waste of money? Im getting ripples in my video when I give my motor full throttle.

Power Supply Filter, L-C Type

[​IMG]
    This compact supply filter helps clean up dirty DC power that often causes lines in wireless video images. The filter is an LC type that uses large value inductor and capacitor components. Their values are robust enough to remove moderate amounts of power supply noise.
    The filter reduces DC-DC switcher supply ripple and helps clean noisy power from a shared battery. For example, if your robot or R/C model's main battery also powers the video camera and A/V transmitter, then this LC filter can help reduce the video "noise" that may appear when its electric motor is running.

This filter is used to reduce ripple noise and similar power supply nuisances. When used with power sources that have RFI/EMI noise problems we recommend that you also add Toroids filters on all the affected wires / cables. We offer popular sized Toroid (Ferrite) core filters that are ideal for RFI/EMI problems: Click Me!

Design Update: Beginning with September 2011 production, all PSF-001 filters are compatible with up to 5S LiPo batteries. Earlier production was limited to 3S applications. If you need to identify which voltage rating you have then check the printed voltage on the large 1000uF cap (capacitor); The older design used 16V caps where as the new design we now sell uses 25V rated caps.

Installation requires basic soldering experience. After soldering we recommend you cover the entire filter board with heatshink tubing or common electrical tape (not provided).Note: Installations with severe power supply noise may not be fully cured with this filter. In such cases a shared battery should be avoided.Features/Specifications

• L-C Filter circuit reduces DC supply noise.
    • Built-in Reverse Polarity protection.
    • Supports up to 25 VDC at 1 Amp (maximum); Please see "Design Update" information shown above.
    • Small size, 1.6 x 0.6 x 0.7 inches (44 x 16 x 18 mm).
    • Lightweight, 8 grams.
    • Designed and assembled in the USA.
    Installation requires soldering in-series with the noisy power supply, as follows:

[​IMG]
  2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I'd be really surprised if the ripple if from power. Sounds like "jello". I'm betting it's vibration. Take the props off and try it again. If all or most of the ripple goes away, it's not a power issue. The other alternative is to make a quick hand held test of the video using a separate small battery for power (rather than the main battery). The filter looks like it would be good, but you probably don't need it.

...Tiger
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I saw this and remembered your thread.

4. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I've watched several of this guys videos before and for the most part they were pretty good. This particular one is so full of misleading or outright bad information it makes me ill. The demo with the scope was the worst part. He got the display he wanted you to see, but absolutely everything about how he got it was wrong and in no way represented the real world problem he said he was solving. I'm not disputing that an LC filter is a good solution for some kinds of power line noise, but I found this video pretty disgusting.

So N486TG... How are you doing as far as solving your problem? Have you identified the problem and made any progress?

...Tiger
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't get it? It looks like the guy in the video made pretty much exactly what is on the board that N485TG asked about which you stated above looked like it would be good.
    In the first 30 seconds of the video the guy states the symptom pretty much exactly as N486TG has: Noise in the video on full throttle. Not that N485TG couldn't be experiencing the alternative you suggested, jello, but it seems to me that it can indeed be noise. Keep in mind we are talking about a bunch of Hobby King stuff here which in my experience isn't exactly top of the line gear but cheap knock offs of top of the line gear. Noise seems like a pretty realistic possibility.

Maybe what you're saying is that you disagree with his simulation of the noise, and that perhaps he oversimplified it. I agree on that. It was probably easier for him to demonstrate it that way for the sake of the video. But he claims his homemade $3 filter solved his problem and that is why I posted the video because maybe N486TG has some wire and a toroid ferrite laying around that he could try it for himself on his own bench. Seemed like a cheap and DIY thing to try to me that's all.
  6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Hey John... I'm absolutely not being critical of your posting this and I'm absolutely not discounting the fact that this kind of filter could be the solution to N485GT's problem. That's not the point. You'll notice that at the end of my comments I said: "I'm not disputing that an LC filter is a good solution for some kinds of power line noise".

What I was being critical of was his explanation of the facts, his totally bogus scope demonstration, and a very sorry whiteboard explanation of how it worked. Pretty much everything he said except that it might fix the problem was not really correct. Maybe I shouldn't have posted what I did, but when people "teach", they have a responsibility to be right. I understand the need to simplify or abbreviate things sometimes, but you still have to be factual.

If N485GT has made the test I suggested and not identified the problem, then making a filter like this is a good next step. A good source for a suitable toroid and capacitor might be an old computer switching power supply. There are lots of those laying around and the permeability of the ferrite in those toroids is nearly perfect for this application. You can probably even find one already wound for you! :) Don't know if 485 is local, but I think I have one of those power supply boards in my trash can right now that he can have.

...Tiger
  7. N485TG

N485TG Registered

ok so Holding the camera in hand away from plane its still affected with the interference in the video. Tried it with the Filter. So Battery - Filter - Y - TX and Camera. Fixed the issue guess this filter does Help.
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

Is your camera 5 volt or 12 volt? Sounds like it's 12 volt but I wanted to make sure.
  9. N485TG

N485TG Registered

yeah its 12 Volts