1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

CRASH of the Week!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by Golden Child, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Thought I'd start a thread for all my fellow pilots to share their misery ;)
    First honors go to Juan from the Sunday Redwood Flyers. Juan ran his F-22 into a brick wall at full speed Feb 5th. It made a TERIFFIC sound and a huge mess to clean up :(
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see in the last photo, he followed up with lawn-darting a second plane not 15 minutes later!
  2. Golden Child

Next up is the Feb. 12th entry by Dangerous Dan! He actually put a brushless car motor in his "Frankenplane" and put it in the air. On his second circuit around the flying field, he put her into a full-speed barrel roll. After about the sixth roll, one wing had had enough and seperated from the fuselage. True to Dan's modus operandi, he refused to cut the throttle, and went full-speed straight down into the ground burying the nose a good 6-inches deep, and litterally dissintegrating the rest of the plane.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhk8UIGmgw[/youtube]
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

It's nice to see that the crasher's are still smiling.
  4. Golden Child

Absolutely! You hope it won't happen, but deep down inside, you know that eventually it will. You've been there, you know the people that fly on Sundays. They're all happy and care free and just enjoy the hobby. Sometimes it gets expensive, but for those of us that fly the "foamies", its not too much to bear ;)

Crashing it the reason we all bring more than one plane to the field ;D
  5. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    hehe +1 GC and knowing is a good thing ...
    ... Also Heli LAW (or Murphy's LAW) says "the Heli Buzz Lightening must bring more than one helicopter to the field"

In the heli world crashing is to be expected! For allot it's the first thing to happen after they get their spanking new toy home, right after they push forward on the Collective and for some it's the only thing that happens because they simply quit w/ any number of excuse to follow. There's even a school of thought that says "your NOT progressing unless your crashing" but I don't buy into this thought. IMO and the community tend to agree, crashing is to be got past in order to move forward because sooner or later (and for most it's sooner) we're going to KISS the DIRT

..<( it's good BOeING don't buy into this philosophy eh )>..

6. Golden Child

This week's honors go to Craig who actually managed not only to crash, but to destroy a Slow Stick :eek: It might have something to do with the INCREDIBLE amount of dyhedral in the main wing ???

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  7. Golden Child

Second place this week goes to Dangerous Dan who ran his son Jason's F-16 full-speed into the infamous brick wall. I bought the carcass from him and got it back together and flyable in a couple hours. I was able to take off in about 50 feet in my gravel driveway, but without enough room to actually fly an EDF here at home, I quickly cut the throttle and it came back down in a soft glide :D I'll take it out to the skypark in Kerby sometime this week to get it dialed-in and ready for its first actual flight at Redwood next Sunday ;D

This is the before pic. Wasn't able to get the twist out of the front end. Anyone have any ideas how to go about that? Heat gun maybe?

[​IMG]
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

For what it's worth the Heat Gun is what I'd try ... But as I'm sure you know Heat Guns can be aggressive with the amount of heat they produce so it would require a more delicate, or less aggression when applying the heat, keep your distance! Foam if NOT careful and this I'm sure you also know (let's say for the Searcher'n Lurker then) can and will melt very quickly w/ too much heat ... I would test or practice first on a scrap piece of foam to get the technique down ;)
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

I've flown these Airframe types (scale Ultra-Light) and ALL it would take to knock em out of the sky was the gusts, even the smallest of wind gusting would cause all kinds of havoc to the one I had. Least appealing was it's destruction which was the ultimate end of my dealings with this type of airframe. Can't say that's what happened here. Can only say this was my story and a story of many moons as it must have been back in the early 80's when I was into fixed wing ... PS: That is allot of dihedral, most I've ever seen or would think was needed ...
  10. Golden Child

Thanks for the heat gun tip w00d ;) As for the Slow Stick, if you look closely you can see the aluminum-tube frame is twisted/bent behind the enormously large landing gear. Probably caused by the amount of speed it carried into the ground by the (easily) 10-times too big motor :-X