1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Build

Discussion in 'Electronics and Electrical' started by GPS, Nov 24, 2012.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

Yeah I've been eying those for some time hoping the prices would drop ...
    ... they certainly are on my short list of 'Toaster' upgrades
    [/quote]

You can get 64-128 GB SSDs pretty reasonably now.  If you use a desktop with room for two or more drives install a SSD for your OS and use your existing HDD for data.  Waiting for reasonably priced SSDs to replace our multi-terabyte drives is futile.
  2. Nexus

Nexus Registered

Doesn't this kind-of defeat the purpose of a SDD, though? Say I have all my data (like a game) on a standard disk drive. I fire up the game and still have to deal with long loading times. I have dozens of gigs of 18MP RAW photographs on a standard disk drive. Accessing them would still take forever. The only thing I think would benefit from an OS-only SSD would be OS-native apps (browser, image/video editor, etc). Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, dealing with two disks/partitions in the command-line sounds like a nightmare, too. I have a hard enough time typing the correct path to a file/folder on my own, let alone throwing another partition or disk name in the mix.
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I kind of disagree.  When I said save the data to the HDD I meant data and not applications.  I know games have data too but they need to be considered an application and all my applications are stored on the system SSD.

The slowest part of your computer is probably memory swapping what it thinks you are going to need next into RAM and moving other stuff to the SSD/HDD.  I frequently work with 500+ MB files that are stored on the spinning HDD, sometimes even my NAS, and they are getting manipulated by the application(s) stored on the SSD.  This is proving very fast for me.

If I waited for SSDs to catch up with my memory requirements I would be waiting years yet.  They are just talking about single TB sizes at "consumer" prices that should become available this year.  I bet we will be looking at $800 at least for a 1 TB SSD when they arrive and several years again before they come anywhere close to HDD prices if they ever do.

Regarding the command line: I have to do this, or something similar, frequently for various reasons.  If you're using Linux your terminal prompt probably remembers the last fifty or so commands, and saving them to a text file is also pretty easy.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i my-demo-video.ogv -vcodec mpeg4 -sameq -acodec libmp3lame my-demo-video.avi
    If the path is complicated you can always move/copy the files into a working path area for manipulation then back again afterwards.  This certainly isn't a show stopper.
  4. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Personally and IMO it's simply about making a choice! For some a complete Solid State Storage is what they want or need. For another a hybrid system of Solid State and Hard Drives is the better option. For others LIKE myself NO Solid State Storage is worth the money at the current prices! Thus my statement "I'm waiting for a better price" period! We're talking of opinion and choices, and here we are on our own based on the options being offered for the device or devices we are looking at. In short ALL opinions and for what it's worth ALL choices are valid, choose one to suit your wants or needs  8)

EYE See! VOICE of the O·pin·ion·at·ed ...
        [acronym=EYE See! To w00d's Photo Musings, my pages][shadow=grey,left][size=1em]w[/size][size=1.25em]00[/size][size=1em]d[/size][/shadow][/acronym]
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Don't get me wrong, if they had SSD drives in the capacities and at prices I can afford I'd get them.  This setup is what suited my budget at the time of my purchase.