1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Blade MQX, 7.4 Volts too much?

Discussion in 'Multirotor' started by Derek A. Brown, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Derek A. Brown

Derek A. Brown Registered

I'm steadily upgrading one of my mQX's. I am adding 140 mm thrust booms as soon as they arrive and I have a carbon/aluminum center frame on the way. One of the benefits of that frame is that it will be a little easier to run a bigger battery.
    I have two questions. Does anyone know if 7.4 volts will burn up my ESC, and does anyone know where to find those cool tri-rotors with the three blades on them?
    Thanks,
    -Derek, Next Level RC
  2. GPS

GPS Registered

My girlfriend has a mQX but I thought they only handle 1S (3.7 volt) LiPo.
  3. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I don't think there is much doubt that a two cell would smoke your MQX. It's not just the ESC, it's everything else as well. Actually, these are brushed motors so there really is no ESC. It's just a single transistor doing PWM to the motor. Actually, that's probably the only part that actually could handle the extra voltage. Pretty much everything else is single cell only (motors, receiver, flight controller, etc). It's not just a little bump like going from three cells to four. You're talking about doubling the voltage!

...Tiger
  4. Derek A. Brown

Yeah, that whole "doubling the voltage" thing is what has me worried. I'd just like to run a little more juice to it. I guess some 600 mAH, 35 C's will have to do. Is there a better motor that I could replace the stock ones with? I dunno, like an mSR X or mCP X main motor maybe?
    I have an i450b 450mm Quadcopter Airframe (with 4 booms) and an i550b 550mm Quadcopter Airframe (with 6 booms), each in my inventory. I may have to turn one of those into my winter project and not go too overboard on the mQX.
    Thanks for the input guys,
    -Derek, Next Level RC
    P.S. I just scored some GWS 8" props for my inventory, so I may have to see if some will work on the mQX with the extended booms . . .
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Sounds like you may have close to what you need to build a proper 450 size quad like the DJI F450. I'd go that way and stick with the stock mQX as a learner/trainer. If you get a good flight controller like the Naza-M you'll be flying well in a day.
  6. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I agree with GPS. The little guys are really cool, but they are what they are and if you start making changes, you'll end up unhappy. A larger single cell will give you a little more grunt, but you have to be careful not to offset that gain by additional weight. You might want to look at the nanotech batteries to get more power and less weight. There is a way (almost positive) to add a second cell that would only power the motors. That would work, but I think the motors wouldn't stand up for it for long. There is also a way to put brushless motors on that, but now you're getting pretty complicated. I'd just build up your 450 size guys. They are a lot more fun anyway. :)

...Tiger
  7. Derek A. Brown

I know nothing about building one from scratch. All I can do is make a parts list and start gathering parts one by one . . . oh, but I don't know what parts I'd need. I get the basics; four motors and an ESC/Receiver, I suppose . . but which ones?
    I'm under the impression that a KK2 Multirotor LCD Flight Control Board Version 1.6 would be a good place to start, but how do I decide which motors? And should I do a 450mm Quadcopter or a 550mm Hexcopter? And what else would I need besides the flight control board and the motors?
    -Derek, Next Level RC
  8. GPS

GPS Registered

I would go with a DJI product. They are the standard now and parts like arms are cheap and readily available.

You can get a AFR F450 like this:
    http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=39

Or a ARF F550:
    http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=56

Then all you need is a flight controller. I would recommend you get a Naza-M instead of messing around with the KK2.
    This is the least expensive Naza now:
    http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=22

You can add the GPS unit as a option or get it in a bundle. Of course you will need a decent transmitter, the minimum I would get is a Spektrum DX7 or Futaba equivalent. If you intend to pursue the hobby more I would probably lean more towards the Futaba radios.
  9. Derek A. Brown

Wow! That's a lot of great info. Thanks. I already have a 450mm and a 550mm frame in my inventory that I have not listed for sale in my ebay store yet. So, I will just keep one of those and go from there.
    -Derek, Next Level RC
  10. GPS

GPS Registered

I'm looking forward to see what you come up with. I hope you consider a build thread.
  11. Derek A. Brown

Yeah, I will try and gather the pieces over the next few months and then start posting as I put it together.
    -Derek, Next Level RC