1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Beam E4 450 Size Electric Helicopter - Rebuild

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by GPS, Nov 22, 2011.

1. GPS

GPS Registered

I was able to fly four batteries before it started to sprinkle and my hands got too cold.  Yeah baby!  I'm very happy with this setup.  I'm charging batteries and hope to get a few more flights in this afternoon.  I'm reading my DX7se manual on how to set expo and might give it a try later.
  2. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Way to go Yoda.  ;D
    Glad to hear you've got her going again.

I have also read it's best to have that tail servo on the side of the boom protected from the blades. Interesting the drawing shows it opposite.  ???
    I've smacked my helis in to the ground a number of times and have yet to get a boom strike. Ya must have to do something just right to do it.

I like the big arrows that show up and down on the drawing too.  ;)
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I agree with w00d and you that the servo makes sense to be on the trailing side of the boom, but like I stated earlier I simply assembled the kit according to the plans supplied.  I never really considered the boom/servo strike until w00d first mentioned it to me today.

I did send a inquiry for a Beam E4 V1 to a Beam E4 Advance upgrade kit to a company in Australia who used to sell them.  I'll see what they cost and decide if I want to do that, although I recall it was considerable expense.

I'm glad they showed me in the manual which way was up.  Maybe that's what I was doing wrong for so long when I was learning to fly.  :p
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Thanks Tiger, yeah it's a plain 450 10 tooth with a 3.17mm (.125") diameter shaft. I should be able to come up with something as I am in need to place another order in a day or so I think. I could also just bore the one I have out too I guess.
  5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Not to worry guys!  I got it fixed.  Just gotta get the blades on right now.  8)  8)  8)

...Tiger

Attached Files:

6. GPS

GPS Registered

Now I'm confused.  Up looks different from this side....I've lost my orientation...
  7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

PP - I just looked and I have 11,12,and 13 tooth.  If eleven is close enough, you are welcome to it.

...Tiger
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    [​IMG] {hehe} Feel better !?!  Tigers Photo "flipped" back ... Maybe the BEAM
    guys that put the manual together got it wrong, or maybe not ?? Just speculation I know
    but the manufactures are NOT above making mistakes. Either way times and idea's are
    always a changing. Guess the point being proved or the point I'm going for is it wasn't
    only my idea as it's more the consensus that says things should be this way

[​IMG]

I remember a time when ALIGN's docs had the servo on the blade side but now they even
    recognize the tail servo should be on the far side of the boom. Also their docs at one time
    would have the gyro on top of the boom block but look where they say to install it now -->

[​IMG]

As for BOOM Strikes in general the ALIGN fanboys will have us tighten the Blade Grips a bit tighter
    that what is generally recommended when setting the blade tension. It's said this will lesson the
    overall chance of a Blade Strike. However the problem here is the tighter the Blade Grips the
    greater the damage to the Head in the event of a blade hit to the dreaded immovable object

[RANT] {LMAO} We JUST can't WIN, simply put "HELICOPTERS ARE NOT MADE TO CRASH" One way or
    another were going to be spending our money. As in LIFE the only real or best way to save our
    "hard earned" is NOT to CRASH! {LOL} Easier said than done, right! [/RANT]
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

Does Align really show those photos of the gyro mounted on the bottom in their manual?  I don't think I've ever seen anybody mount their gyro upside down, even the hard 3D folks who are probably more at risk of a boom strike.

I had a Blade 400 that had a very tall gyro and I crashed that helicopter much more than I flew it.  I did have a boom strike on that helicopter and never damaged a servo much less the tall gyro.

In fact on that Blade 400 I had the gyro tape fail once and the gyro fell off in flight and did not damage the gyro itself, just a lot of other parts.
  10. w00d

w00d Registered

Yup! Goto Helifreak in the TRex 450 forum, specifically the photo gallery and you will find a number of TRex 450 fanboys (myself included, pwoodyp) mount their Gyros underneath. A Fly-Bar hit to the Gyro's was most often seen on the TRex 450's {LOL} and so we could read the LEDs for setting up we would use a mirror placed underneath our Gyro's. So yeah when I was running my Futaba GY401 I ran it under as shown below ...
    ... Only when I bought my QUARK did I start to mount my gyro on the top ...

PS: See the extra Fly-Bar Weights! Also ran a 4S motor (Neu), notice the cell count -->

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also see - http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=14327

QUOTE: "Why do people mount their gyros under the boom?

When you crash, the fly bar can destroy your expensive gyro if it is on top. Even a minor crash while hovering can sometimes take out the gyro making it a very expensive crash. Most people move it to a protected spot that is still assessable for making adjustments.

Rick makes nice mounts for the SE, XL, and SuperFrames that allow you to easily mount your gyro safely under the boom where it is still accessible to make adjustments. Here is his website.
    http://www.wavelandps.com/clearly/"

Note: The Gyro Mounts mentioned in the above quote I believe are still available
              however the LINK posted is no longer, it's DEAD ... FYI: [glow=maroon,2,300]w00d[/glow]
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

I think I will risk my gyro and keep it mounted on top.  The GY520 is so small anyway and it is already partially shielded from the main frames.
    A guy at a hobby shop once told me "All RC helicopters crash" and I think he was correct with that observation.  I've also heard it said that a boat is a hole in the ocean where one pours money into.  So a RC helicopter is probably a hole in the sky we enthusiasts all pour money into.
  12. w00d

w00d Registered

{LMAO-ROTFL} That saying I know well and have used myself, use to own a
    21' Cruiser (Bayliner) and "hole in the ocean ..." is about as RIGHT as RIGHT
    can be {LOL} Cost me a fortune to RUN that baby

Although it was the most FUN I EVER had ...  Attracted the bikini's {wink, wink}
    Nuff said as I'm well PAST that AGE, at least thats what I tell the girlfriend

I too believe my Gyro is small enough and partially shielded by my Boom Block,
    thus the reason I don't make that big-a-deal about it. I would only recommend
    you move the Tail Servo ... but each to his/her own as I can only suggest ;)
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

I flew five more batteries this afternoon.  It feels good.  Me afterwards ---> :)
  14. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Five batteries!  You're going to wear that thing out at this rate.  :)  So do you fly around or mostly hover? 

...Tiger
  15. GPS

GPS Registered

I am mostly hovering around for a couple reasons, I'm not a very good pilot, I was in the neighborhood and there is not much room.  Plus I haven't flown for almost a year so I am still getting my thumbs back.
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

If the sun comes out again tomorrow I am thinking to go over to Spalding and fly.  I also want to test some expo per w00d's suggestion and I'd like more room for that.
  17. w00d

w00d Registered

Unless you want to go out to the BIG field just because it's FUN then that's a different story [​IMG]
    but you really don't need that much room Bud, you can figure out teh EXPO while in the hover

Also important, when setting up the EXPOnential --->
    • We can enter "positive" EXPO which will "slow the controls around mid-stick" and THIS we DO want [​IMG]
    • but we can also enter "negative" EXPO which will "speed up the controls around mid-stick" and this we DON't want!
    Neg EXPO will make the controls even more sensitive to a point where the heli would be impossible to control.
    Be dead certain your NOT making this mistake

Keep that in mind when setting up your Tx and you will be OK

So start LOW being careful when getting up past 25% EXPO as this can make the controls too sluggish
    which could result in your crashing and I'm sure ya wouldn't want that

Between 10% and 25% you should be able to find your "sweet spot" [​IMG]

Enjoy Bro
      [glow=maroon,2,300]w00d[/glow]

EDIT: Have a look at the link Yoda (and friends) as it covers pretty much everything a budding Heli Pilot would NEED to know.
    However you must be a member to download/view the video's but the wealth were getting is well worth the effort, I KID y'all not

Also the BEAM E4 build video's are there Yoda ... and YES the reason for the edit, the linkage covers EXPOnential and Dual-Rates ...
    ... the rest is added-value --->
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

Hi w00d - Yes, I want to fly the big field for fun and also take advantage to do some expo experimenting.  I didn't mean I needed the space to do the expo settings.  I haven't been to that field since I crashed last and I guess I kind of want to shake that.

Unfortunately it's freezing and yesterday when we had some sun after my second battery my hands were getting cold so unless there is a big change soon I guess I'm not going up there after all.    :(
  19. GPS

GPS Registered

I got an offer for a Beam E4 V1 to Beam E4 Advance kit from Australis but after shipping it comes to about $148 and a whole brand new Beam E4 Advance kit costs $229 here in the US.  I want to upgrade but I'm on the fence now.  I'm tempted to get a new kit and transfer my electronics then sell the V1 airframe.
  20. GPBill

GPBill Registered

Merry Christmas to you, Merry Christmas to you.  ;D

What would we addicts do of they quit making upgrades and new toys.  :-\