1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Beam E4 450 Size Electric Helicopter - Rebuild

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by GPS, Nov 22, 2011.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Yup up down left or right and sideways into the 4th dimension you gotta find the "sweet spot"
  2. w00d

w00d Registered

I didn't know (or wasn't listening) that you weren't flying ??
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

I have flown my mSR and a CX2 indoors, but no outdoor flying at all for close to a year.
  4. w00d

w00d Registered

What's going on with your 500 ??
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

It's almost done.  I got a voltage regulator for the tail servo and gyro and need to mount it.  Then it's just radio programming and blade pitch adjustments and she'll be ready.

I'm a bit nervous about flying that one though.
  6. w00d

w00d Registered

"I'm a bit nervous about flying that one though"

I here ya, but you will quickly get over that after a few batteries ...

Your BEAM, you mention it being a little "twitchy" or your hovering was "erratic" ... Are you using or using enough EXPO?

I use about 20% on all my heli's and it's calms the twitchy's around middle stick ;)
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

I don't think I have any expo set.  I have heard that can help a lot though.  I'll have to look in my radio manual and see how to set that.
  8. w00d

w00d Registered

YOu have the DX7 so I can't help your there, but I can tell you if your not using any EXPO now you are certainly going to wanna try it. In retropect I had trouble getting into the air on my very first battery but when I entered the EXPO the flying became almost too easy. So yeah I would certainly recommend you give it a go.

But start LOW and work your way up as too much EXPO is also a dangerous thing, it can be worse than not using any  ;)

EDIT: I see RED
  9. GPS

GPS Registered

You had trouble getting into the air with expo?  Why is that, and then why would I want that effect?
  10. w00d

w00d Registered

No sorry, I had trouble without ... when I did enter the EXPO it was better ;)
  11. GPS

GPS Registered

So the expo affects the left and right sticks?  What if I only want expo on the right stick?
  12. w00d

w00d Registered

Set EXPO on the left/right pitch and forward/back pitch .... Some do use on the left/right tail but I see no benefit but again some do
  13. GPS

GPS Registered

Sorry about that.  I should crack open the manual before I ask stuff like that.  But it's good to hear from someone who has experience with a setting to learn what they think of it.
  14. w00d

w00d Registered

Thanks, and as I said and I edited the other post by highlighting in red the only thing you should be careful about. Start small and work you way up. Eventuality you should come to the spot that works best ... That all said I'm pretty certain your going to like it
  15. w00d

w00d Registered

Oh WOW I'm SORRY to do this to ya Bud but I just noticed ...

http://southernoregonrc.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=508.0;attach=677;image

Your Tail Servo, it's on the wrong side of the BOOM thus prone to being HIT from teh infamous BOOM Strike and/or a Fly-Bar Strike! I know these servos should be a tough little servo being metal but nevertheless there is ALLOT of force as your know in them there blades and that's the side the blades will be coming from, right at your very expensive servo! If these were a plastic type it would be a certainty they would be destroyed when smacked ...

Also at risk of a Fly-Bar HIT is the Gyro when we mount on the TOP of our Boom-Blocks as allot of us do and I'm no exception. But this is a related but slightly different topic to be saved for another day ... but STILL if interested can be quickly Googled-Up

Don't have to take my word ASK our famous Mr. Finless over at HeliFreak.com or any of those RunRyder dudes about BOOM Strikes and getting the Tail Servo on the other side of the boom. This would be (should be) the first thing he and many others would recommend

These BOOM HITS are a HIGH risk issue although I have yet to experience one myself but then again I have not had a serious enough CRASH to say I have direct experience, touch w00d {LMAO} Anywayz I would at least recommend you get your Tail Servo to the other side of your boom so it's protected from those nasty ole BOOM Strikes. It's NOT necessary to learn the hard-way, yeah

At the VERY least Google up the INFO as there plenty been said about both issues I do sincerely bring to our attentions here

FYI:
      [glow=maroon,2,300]w00d[/glow]
  16. GPS

GPS Registered

I've got the servo mounted per the manual. The last time I crashed was the hardest I've ever crashed and this Beam E4 helicopter didn't even bend the tail boom much less tail strike.

I appreciate your input and it is a sound idea to mount the servo on the other side, but it's too much work for lazy me to change now with the mechanical and electrical/servo reversing.

Just in case though, I just measured the distance from the top of the servo to the main blades and it's 4 inches. The servo is also so close to the center there would have to be some serious flex in the main blades to come even close, and I don't see it happening. If the there ever was the possibility to have a boom strike I'd have much more to worry about than my servo.

Maybe those boom strikes are on helicopters like 600 size with longer more flexible blades?
  17. w00d

w00d Registered

Well I can only pass on what as gone before me and indeed there is plenty evidence they do happen an enough times to warrant the cautionary fix lazy or not. You would think the fly-bar couldn't hit the gyro either but it can and does happen ... It's not about what happens when the heli is working or when mechanically sound but what happens when the heli is stressed and bent and twisted during the crash, it's about what happens then.  Anyhow caveat emptor you may very well be one of the lucky ones it doesn't happen too I have said what I needed to say. I'm only here to help if i can ;)
  18. GPS

GPS Registered

Thank you w00d.  I can imagine that if the blades hit the boom or servo there will be a big mess.  In fact, on the Beam E4 "Advance" version the tail servo is inside the main chassis frames.  I really like that setup better than a boom mounted servo.  I even looked into updating my Beam E4 but I found out that it is not just a chassis frame change and there was a lot to it and the kit was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time, not to mention that some of my spares would become unusable.  As I use up my accumulated spare parts I might go with the Beam E4 Advance upgrade and solve the matter that way.
  19. w00d

w00d Registered

Well after saying all I've said yes there still no telling what will happen during a crash ... Best we all can do is edge-our-bets, yeah

Anyhow next time we need to replace the boom or after the next fix keep what I've said in the back of your mind.

Oh hell look at me even I know what can happen and I still mount my gyros on top of the boom block, just because it's the most convenient ...

... but I know I'll be tossing away $195 if the dice don't go my way
  20. GPS

GPS Registered

Main blades and paddles: They slice, they dice ...just like some of that stuff they sell for kitchens!

I'm off to fly a few batteries!