1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

And now the wave of autofollow UVAs commences

Discussion in 'AP/FPV' started by Jonas, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jonas

Jonas Registered

AirDog: World's First Auto-follow Action Sports Drone
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdog/airdog-worlds-first-auto-follow-action-sports-dron

HEXO+: Your Autonomous Aerial Camera
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sqdr/hexo-your-autonomous-aerial-camera?ref=discovery

I think this probably is the mass market games future. Non RC person just saying hey camera follow me and make it cool.

I mean when you think of all the auto functions (including making cool little movies) on your smartphone, people don't want to do the work of editing or flying. It will just be some pretty intelligent UVA's as your professional photographer that hangs out with you.

These 2 are in these infancy where this will go, but it's a start.
    GPS likes this.
  2. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Team that with say a 3d Mapping pass like this project:

it would work out some obstacle avoidance as well.

This one kinda reminds me of those orbs the throw out to map the spacecraft in Prometheus.
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

So they want to make these things accessible for even dumber non-pilots?

How do you think this will play out? How can the FAA allow these but not hollywood cinematographers or news reporters?

What I did not see in either feature list was any mention of collision avoidance. So what happens when you skateboard under a tree, bridge, etc.? I presume these things will just try to follow you.

I guess the air dog folks don't actually know what a GoPro looks like:
    airdog-gopro.png
    What's wrong with this picture?

The air dog will cost $1500 retail if they get backed (not yet funded as I write this) and the hexo+ will cost $899 retail..they have passed their funding goal already.
  4. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Yep I think that's right. Ponder the restrictions that DJI is adding to each firmware. Limiting the descent to reduce crashes, Limiting where you can go around airports to prevent you from flying into the path of a plane. All things to dumb it down to be able to service a broader market.

So you could think of these automatic drones and just taking that same philosophy forward. Why fly it at all? Sure WE might like that, but does the Average Snowboarder or grandma want to put in the time to be a competent pilot OR do they just want their epic photos and videos?

In some respects the FAA might actually prefer this direction, as in time the aircraft and be the responsible party. Google has already received approval in California for self driving cars. I suspect that the market forces are going to demand flying camera that will be effortless. These kick starter projects are just a first step to fulfill that demand.

The collision avoidance tech is around and this might just be a great place to really flush it out. There various bits that can come together to solve these issues. With some elegant AI,in time they will probably be safer, and provide better shots that most people would be able to get otherwise. I wouldn't be shocked if semi autonomous aerial photography will become a commodity in 5 years.

Here's a possible piece to the puzzle. (note the guy with the quad rotor on his shirt) :)
    I could see say a mapping pass that an aircraft could do to increase collision avoidance.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Good point. Maybe this is just what the FAA is looking for.
  6. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Its the only way they'll ever get flying cars off the ground (so to speak) in mass. Not everyone is cut out to be a pilot.
  7. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

DJI just wants to sell these things, they want your money, they want everyone to buy one, good pilots, dumb pilots, kind pilots, irresponsible pilots, their money is all worth the same, don't think for a minute it philosophically goes any deeper than that.
  8. Jonas

Jonas Registered

Yep, they are a business. And as a business, it's function is to generate a profit for the owners/stock holders.

While i doubt the philosophy goes deeper than that, the business model is probably a bit more nuanced in how they achieve that goal. To expand their market, they need to figure out ways for grandma to operate a flying camera. The hobby market will always be small potatoes.