1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

And another build

Discussion in 'Power Boats' started by l8rg8r, Feb 3, 2014.

1. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

image.jpg image.jpg So I'm starting a new build not really starting just getting back to it. It is a 42" mono that I believe to be a Prather when I got it it had a 65 nitro I pulled all of the very old power train and no I'm installing a stihl 044 for some reason I thought I had a husky 30 oops but hey the stihl is 4.31 ci witch comes out to a whopping 70.62cc and 5.4 hp any way here are a couple of pics in one I've got the engine setting in the boat while I'm working on motor mounts the other I have the cy that I've machined for water cooling with my home made water jacket and I've started to lighten the flywheel next I will balance the flywheel and polish the intake and exhaust ports
  2. Allen Burns

Allen Burns Registered

Nice hull but a little out dated for a gas motor. It will work but you need to make sure you have a shield for carb so you don't suck water into cylinder while running. I would also mount motor as far to the front as you can and put radio box in the back. fuel tank or IV bag should go infront of motor. I would try a prather 285 or 290 prop first as you are not going to get more than 16,500 rpms out of that motor. A Zenoah 25 or a J&G marine motor will turn 21,000 but also run you about $450.00.
    Make sure you use yellow gas fuel lines and not blue nitro lines. The silicone lines will melt and plug your carb. I would also take the idle stop screw out of the carb that way you can shut down motor with radio.
    If you can't find engine mounts I have 4 from my gas hydro you can have for a couple bucks.
    Good luck and never run an rc boat with people or animals in the water. Bad things happen.
  3. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

Thanks for the advice on the mounts post a pic or pm it to me oh and my previous statement is wrong the engine is not a 044 as I thought but a fc44 lots of difference only 30cc for one

quote="Allen Burns, post: 22359, member: 333"]Nice hull but a little out dated for a gas motor. It will work but you need to make sure you have a shield for carb so you don't suck water into cylinder while running. I would also mount motor as far to the front as you can and put radio box in the back. fuel tank or IV bag should go infront of motor. I would try a prather 285 or 290 prop first as you are not going to get more than 16,500 rpms out of that motor. A Zenoah 25 or a J&G marine motor will turn 21,000 but also run you about $450.00.
    Make sure you use yellow gas fuel lines and not blue nitro lines. The silicone lines will melt and plug your carb. I would also take the idle stop screw out of the carb that way you can shut down motor with radio.
    If you can't find engine mounts I have 4 from my gas hydro you can have for a couple bucks.
    Good luck and never run an rc boat with people or animals in the water. Bad things happen.[/quote]
  4. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

Well I finished the water cooled head and got my motor mount brackets done next to make my exhaust header and still looking for my drive dohicky that connects the cable to the prop shaft I think gremlins took it anyway have a look at the pics enjoy

Attached Files:

GPS likes this.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

You've been busy building. Looking good.
  6. l8rg8r

l8rg8r Registered

Oh yeah I repainting my thunder cat to I guess I must suffer from adult a.d.d I can't seem t do one project oh no that's to easy I have to do 6
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

That's OK as long as you finish them eventually. I've got a couple projects on the shelf that have been in the "near complete" stage for a few years.
    l8rg8r likes this.