1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 1:1's

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by Pelagic Pilot, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Ha, that would be kinda hard on the eye balls! No, we just buried a GoPro in the rocks. We would like to get a landing, but need to figure out how to not end up with a skid coming down on the lens....
  2. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

A sad but non tragic incident occured today with one of the local firefighting helicopters, some sort of engine problem caused a loss of main engine power and sent the machine into a full auto rotation in un-even, wooded terrain. The pilot escaped with little to no injury and is doing well. The helicopter sustained major damage and remains at the crash scene. News story...

http://www.kdrv.com/pilot-not-injured-after-engine-failure
  3. GPS

GPS Registered

That's not the helicopter that you helped with the engine swap is it?
  4. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

Yes, it was the one from here in GP. The new motor was a pull out from another helicopter that had low hours on it, I don't know how many hours were put on it since it was installed here, but at least 20 I would guess. From the chit chat I hear it sounds like a fuel pump may have gone out and simply stopped sending fuel to the engine. But will find out more later, a NTSB report will be filed eventually.
  5. GPS

GPS Registered

Sorry to hear that.  From the photo on that news website I'm guessing the airframe is a total loss.
  6. Pelagic Pilot

Pelagic Pilot Registered

A large 8" diameter Manzanita stem stabbed through the bottom and came out inside the cabin, had this been 4 feet forward the pilot would be in a much different situation. The main blades wadded up into a pretzel and the tail rotor blades are still missing. They could be very far away if they came off in an upward arc.
  7. GPS

GPS Registered

We found the super light DJI propeller halves 180 feet from the point of failure so I can imaging how far real helicopter blades could fly.  That could have been bad for the pilot also.  Had they shot forward I'm sure they would be able to cut through a helicopter airframe like butter.