1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Forum Posting Etiquette

Discussion in 'FAQ and Suggestions' started by w00d, Jun 15, 2012.

1. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    It can be hard to say but simple common curtsey CAN be a challenge for some and on that same note, dead easy for others but good manners can be everything toward anyone's success at making friends while on the forums. Anyway, thought the following might AID those who are absolutely NEW to forums in general. LMAO, might even help 'SOME' with forum experience but I'm NOT going down that road for now! Allot of forums even make it more than personal 'etiquette' by making them their Forum RULES ...

@ Our Moderators, might be a good POST to 'sticky' [​IMG]

Speaking of experience it's really SAD to SAY IT but I've been around one forum or another for over {yikes} 14 years  (1998)  and allot of what follows I've learned the HARD way {LMAO}

On the lighter side and without getting or making it personal does anyone have a favored 'Forum Etiquette' PET Peeve and/or annoyance [​IMG]
    ... As I also don't believe the following list is by any means a complete list your particular peeves don't need to be on this LIST and if to PUT my OWN humility forward I know I'm guilty of some. My favorites are #6, #10, #11, #13, #14, #16, and #19 which is extra annoying IMO but number 6 "Not staying on topic" could also be there with #19. Oh, last but NOT least I believe if a post is directed (or the direction is implied) to a 'person' does it NOT deserve a response? This "response" does NOT necessarily have to agree or for that matter disagree with ones thoughts but a simple acknowledgement of the effort would be nice, and welcome !!!

Thanks for the TIME ...
        [size=1.2em][shadow=grey,left]w00d[/shadow][/size]

[hr]
    [size=1.25em]Forum Posting Etiquette[/size]
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Read the forums rules and guidelines before posting for the first time
    [*]Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered
    [*]Use a meaningful title for your thread
    [*]Do not use a forum to promote your product, service or business
    [*]Be civil. Personal differences should be handled through email or IM and not through
    posts displayed to everyone
    [*]Stay on topic
    [*]Ignore spammers, respond to them personally and not through the board, or REPORT them
    [*]Do not submit a post that requires readers to download a large attachment.
    Either explain the attachment or, better yet, provide a link to the information
    [*]Use plain text over HTML if you want your post to be readable by everyone
    [*]In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and
    avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members
    [*]Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the
    same message across several forums)
    [*]Act in a give and take manner; help others as often as or more than you ask for help
    [*]Do not use all caps or SHOUT in your posts. In addition, one exclamation point is enough
    [*]When replying to a post, do not quote more from the previous post than you have to. This
    would also include quoting images with the image tags in place
    [*]Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion
    [*]Do not use someone else’s thread for a private conversation
    [*]Most forums prohibit warez, cracks or illegal downloading of software and similar topics
    [*]Watch your sense of humor, posts may be read by people from a variety of backgrounds and ages
    [*]Do not use a huge and annoying signature, a modest signature is fine, moderators may
    remove large ones anyway
    [*]Do not post any information that you want private. Posts should not contain personal,
    identifiable information or content embarrassing to others
    [*]Do not post content that violates a copyright - LOL, no one here does that do they - w00d
    [*]Do not post ”empty” or useless responses, such as just ”lol” or ”cool.” Only post responses
    when you have something to contribute
    [*]Write concisely and do not ramble
    [*]Do not use words like ”urgent” or ”important” in your subject line, be patient
    [*]Do not chastise newbies, be nice
    [/list]

[hr]
  2. sinistercad

sinistercad Registered

Hmmm, last time on a previous forum when I started stating a forum member (be it he may have been a bit young) was deliberately making post that made no sense it went downhill fast (albeit that my attitude went with it)  I will agree with you on the basis that "forum mods" will be nuetral in there decision making and not choose sides.
  3. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    I too can be a little more tolerant with the young ones however if they want to participate in an adult conversation I would expect a more mature attitude of them!

Unfortunately some who would appear "less" than mature or child-like are indeed adults, if I can use the word "adult" in this case ... LMAO