1. Welcome to the Southern Oregon RC forums.
    Dismiss Notice

For Sale & Wanted Forums

Discussion in 'FAQ and Suggestions' started by smitty, Nov 13, 2011.

1. smitty

smitty Registered

I'm just looking for some guidelines for using these two topics.

For items posted that have sold or are no longer wanted: should the obsolete postings be deleted? and, Who should delete them? Is there an expiration date where they go away automatically?

I'm preparing to post several for sale items. Is it appropriate to suggest that comments/banter/negotiations be carried out using Private Messages only?

Is it better to post numerous items for sale under a single topic? or should each item have it's own topic?

Just to give you an idea of where this is going, I have photo inventoried over 60 individual items that I intend to offer for sale or trade.

Input would be very helpful.
  2. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Hi Smitty, I can delete your posts when an item sells. My opinion is that offers should be sent by PM, but not everyone follows that school of thought, and I certainly wouldn't stick my (moderator) nose into it unless a specific issue was brought to my attention that may have inadvertantly offended someone. Individual items for sale should have their own posts, likewise for groups of items. Try using Photobucket, or another online service, to link photos as only members of this site can see pics uploaded to this site. Whereas pics linked from other online hosting sites are viewable from members, as well as guests - giving you more potential buyers being able to actually see your pics. Hope I've addressed your concerns, Mike ;)
  3. smitty

smitty Registered

So... I will pm you to delete the sold items.

And I will be posting some individual items and some groups of items.
    And we'll see how it goes.
  4. GPS

GPS Registered

Posting items in the for sale and wanted forums is what they are for.  When items are sold, or purchased, the entire topic should be removed.
    I believe the poster can delete the topic if nobody has replied.  If there have been replies let Golden Child or myself know and we will delete the entire topic.
  5. smitty

smitty Registered

Got it! very cool.

What I would like to do (try) is to create a for sale topic and lock it. Then once the item(s) are sold then I can delete the topic.

On the for sale items I would prefer negotiation exchanges be by pm, email or phone.

If this is OK with Admin and Mod.
  6. Golden Child

Golden Child Moderator Staff Member

Hey Smitty, I don't know that I would lock the topic. People may have questions, that answered in the posting itself (vs PM), would benefit all who may be looking at it - i.e.: compatibility, anything else included, how old, etc. Just my two copper Lincoln's worth ;)
  7. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Most forums that are heavily into "used sales" will have a set of rules the user(s) must follow

For example ---> http://forums.redflagdeals.com/hot-deals/announcement-a.html

The above LINK of RULES (see 5. Trading Rules and 6. Trading Guidance) is one from a site I frequented when I was building and modifying computers so obviously not everything there would apply to the Rc world. If you choose this route it should be tailored to the needs of the specific community. Some ideas would and others would NOT apply to our needs but you will get the idea as most are simply common sense rules. Others and most important to our users are the rules regarding "user etiquette" ... Disclaimer: I only posted the link has an example but many sites have them, this was only one. {LOL} Albeit the largest and most intense I've seen ...

FYI:
      [glow=maroon,2,300]w00d[/glow]
  8. smitty

smitty Registered

wOOd,
    That is a excellent set of guidelines. I especially like the rules for "Threadcrapping" and "Bumping".

Here are a few rules from your link that spoke to me:

• To make the post as helpful as possible to other members of the community, see if you can cover the who, what, where, when, and how.
    • Cross posting (posting the same item in more than one thread) will not be tolerated. Please only post for sale items to one Buy/Sell/Trade category.
    • You MUST post a price for ALL For Sale (FS) and For Sale/For Trade (FS/FT) topics.
    • No auction style posts will be allowed. This includes posting vague statements like "Make me an offer!" or waiting for an offer higher than what you posted. The posting of eBay links by themselves is prohibited. eBay links are allowed if the poster is willing to sell the item(s) to forum members at a specified, POSTED price.
    • Threadcrapping will not be tolerated. If you do not intend to buy and have no legitimate questions or concerns, please refrain from posting in that topic. If you think the asking price is too high, or want to make an offer significantly lower than the posted price, please contact the seller via email or private message (PM). Violators of this rule will be banned for 3 days for a first offense. Multiple offenders will be banned permanently.
    • Bumping a thread: No more that 2 bumps per 24 hour period (00:00 - 23:59). Any post by the original poster counts as a bump, even if they are answering a question.
    [size=1em]I generally don't like rules. However, we need to utilize the lessons learned by others before problems arise here. [/size]
  9. w00d

w00d Registered

New Toronto, Ontario, Great White North, Ay
    Thanks Smitty

It looks like you got out of it what I was hoping ... and I agree whole heartedly with "we need to utilize the lessons learned" ... Allot of these rules stem out of the need as the writers no doubt had the problems the rules addressed. One other thing I should have mentioned these rules were heavily enforced thus moderated, no exceptions!